Japan Earthquake

artto

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel very bad for everyone suffering over there. My heart goes out and I have found myself consistantly thinking of them.

I imagine if it was my Nuclear plant that had this happening; and I was a worker trying to stop it.

Scary thoughts..... And unfortunately; this is those workers' reality right now...... Wow.

(And this does not even take into account the damage caused elsewhere by the Tsunami)..... I feel sick.... seriously..... so sad.

The animals knew something was up, before it actually happened, almost no dead animals were found they fled.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/01/0104_050104_tsunami_animals.html

While I may agree that animals may have some premonition about these events to infer that they survived such massive disasters is to imply that they also have some premonition as to the magnitude of the impending trouble. Rather I suspect that they simply are not counted among such mass human casualties and/or they more frequently wash out to sea not be be seen again. If someone were to document animals amassed on the highest ground prior to the initial tremor event that would be quite sensational. But there is no real census of regional animal populations taken before and after these huge disasters so there exists no real evidence of their ability to predict and survive them any better than us lowly humans.

I feel very bad for everyone suffering over there. My heart goes out and I have found myself consistantly thinking of them.

I imagine if it was my Nuclear plant that had this happening; and I was a worker trying to stop it.

Scary thoughts..... And unfortunately; this is those workers' reality right now...... Wow.

(And this does not even take into account the damage caused elsewhere by the Tsunami)..... I feel sick.... seriously..... so sad.

m3QYf.jpg

A picture of a Nuclear Power near me and the 50 mile evacuation radius if it were to effect the Salem plant.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/japan-tsunami/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503051&objectid=10712802

Heroes of Fukushima - 50 remain at Daiichi

By Paul Harper

12:32 PM Wednesday Mar 16, 2011

Residents leaving Fukushima Prefecture in droves. Photo / AP

Following yesterday's explosion at Fukushima Daiichi's unit 2
reactor, a decision was made by a manager on site to evacuate staff
working in the area.

But around 50 employees - dubbed the Fukushima 50 - have remained at the
site working tirelessly around the clock to avoid possible meltdowns at
three reactors at the quake-hit nuclear power plant.

They are attempting to cool down fuel rods at three reactors by injecting seawater into them.

Despite wearing protective clothing, experts say there will be negative
effects to their health as a result of the radiation levels.

David Richardson, a professor of epidemiology at the university of North
Carolina who has studied the long-term health risks for nuclear plant
workers, told the BBC those at Fukushima would receive in an hour the
same amount of radiation a US nuclear worker is exposed over an entire
career.

"These workers in a few hours are getting fairly high doses I would
say by contemporary standards for worker protection and that's likely to
pose some risks down the line.

"To my knowledge there's not a good way after exposure of trying to
protect somebody from the risks of a subsequent later cancer."

Lee Tin-lap, a toxicologist at a Hong Kong university, told Reuters the
current radiation levels would not be immediately dangerous - but there
could be long-term effects.

"You are still breathing this into your lungs, and there is passive
absorption in the skin, eyes and mouth and we really do not know what
long-term impact that would have," he said.

Following the fire at unit 4 yesterday, radiation levels peaked to
levels dangerous for human health.

At 10.22am (2.22pm NZT) a radioactivity monitoring post near the unit 3
reactor showed 400 millisieverts per hour, 400 times the amount an
average person is exposed to in a year, the Japan Times reported.

The radiation level was 100 millisieverts per hour near the unit 4
reactor and 30 millisieverts per hour between the unit 2 and 3 reactors.

An official at the Institute of Applied Energy told the Japan Times radiation exposure of 7,000 to 10,000 millisieverts per hour is considered a lethal dose.

"There is no doubt it is an amount that would have (a harmful) effect on the human body."

Without protective gear, exposure to 100 millisieverts per hour can render a man infertile, one Japanese expert told NHK News.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said yesterday the levels would "no doubt" have a harmful effect on the human body.

"But that is the amount right near the leak. The farther away, it drops."

Radiation readings at the site have since fallen and stabilised, but are still above safe levels.

The situation - which is currently rated a level 4 accident by Japanese
officials (Chernobyl was a level 7) - has led to the evacuation of
around 200,000 people from nine towns within 20km of the Fukushima
Daiichi nuclear power plant and within 10km of the Fukushima Daini
plant.

Officials in Fukushima say around 190 people may have been exposed to
radiation, and around 230,000 units of iodine have been distributed to
evacuation centres in the area around Fukushima Daiichi and Fukushima
Daini as a precautionary measure.

The ingestion of stable iodine can help to prevent the accumulation of radioactive iodine in the thyroid.

Residents outside of the evacuation areas have been advised by authorities to stay indoors.

heard on the radio this morning, that people and luggage entering the USA from Japan have been setting off airport radiation detectors in (sorry suddenly forgot which cities they listed). not enough to quarantine anyone; but, enough to set off the alarm.

• Moderators

I have seen something very similar, but when I think of the size of the area affected there compared to what I have seen here it makes me sick !

I have seen how long it takes to clean up an area much smaller and for that area to get back to normal. Most of this area hardest hit here has come back maby 20% at best, they have one heck of a job ahead of them, I will not live long enough for Japan to recover to even 75%.

Very sad.

Proof again that the scum rises to the surface. My co-worker just received this e-mail.

My name is Maurice Singhateh the personal accountant to late Yuichi Takashi , a Japanese national who is a contractor in Gambia. My client and his family traveled to their home town in Sendai – Japan, on the 11th of March 2011, the entire family and their relatives was wiped out by the 8.9 magnitude earthquake / tsunami that hit Japan.

The deceased account is valued at US$2,700,000.00 with a financial institution in Gambia. According to Gambia fund regulatory policy, such fund will be transferred to treasury account. I am very concerned If the bank external auditors find out what this monster earthquake damaged in Sendai - Japan they will confiscate deceased account.

I contacting you to stand as the next of kin to my deceased client, It is not possible for me to retrieve this fund myself because I am not a foreigner. I will send to you a copy of the deceased deposit certificate which will empower you file application as the next of kin.

As soon as the financial institution in Gambia transfer the fund to you, 50% of US$2,700,000.00 will be transferred to RED CROSS/ TSUNAMI DISASTER RELIEF SERVICES IN JAPAN, 25% for your assistance in processing and securing the fund and 25% for me. I guarantee that this transaction will work successful in a legitimate arrangement. I require your understanding and cooperation to make sure we put this fund in good use. Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,
Maurice Singhateh,

From Wikipedia:

This earthquake released a surface energy (Me) of 1.9±0.5×1017joules,[46] dissipated as shaking and tsunamic energy, which is nearly double that of the 9.1-magnitude 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami that killed 230,000 people, and flung the 2,600 ton Apung 1 ship 2 to 3 km (1.2 to 1.9 mi) inland. "If we could only harness the [surface] energy from this earthquake, it would power [a] city the size of Los Angeles for an entire year," McNutt said in an interview.[28] The total energy released, also known as the seismic moment (M0), was more than 200,000 times the surface energy and was calculated by the USGS at 3.9×1022 joules,[47] slightly less than the 2004 Indian Ocean quake. This is equivalent to 9.32 teratons of TNT, or approximately 600 million times the energy of the Hiroshima bomb.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:w6_5DbhKMEUJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_T%C5%8Dhoku_earthquake_and_tsunami+japan+earthquake+%22energy+released%22&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Bad day indeed...When you start measuring Cesium outside the power plant, this is not a good sign. Cesium is a byproduct of fission. Usually it stays within the fuel bundles. Extreme heat will cause the cladding around the fuel bundles to melt away releasing the Cesium and other radioactive particles (kinda like TMI). It will be reported exactly how much damage actually occurred in a few days. Kinda hard to keep a radioactive release mum.

Oh boy - now they're saying is was ~1/2 of Chernobyl...and some of it caused by issues before the tsunami hit.

http://science.slashdot.org/story/11/10/26/1219205/fukushimas-fallout-worse-than-thought

Chris

Bad day indeed...When you start measuring Cesium outside the power plant, this is not a good sign. Cesium is a byproduct of fission. Usually it stays within the fuel bundles. Extreme heat will cause the cladding around the fuel bundles to melt away releasing the Cesium and other radioactive particles (kinda like TMI). It will be reported exactly how much damage actually occurred in a few days. Kinda hard to keep a radioactive release mum.

Oh boy - now they're saying is was ~1/2 of Chernobyl...and some of it caused by issues before the tsunami hit.

http://science.slashdot.org/story/11/10/26/1219205/fukushimas-fallout-worse-than-thought

Chris

Chernobyl surprisingly was not that bad.