Got my new carry permit...

Marvel

I let my old one expire, and Georgia now doesn't do renewals. It's a whole new application. The total charges are more than the state allows (not supposed to be over $50... but the background check by itself is $50... Probate Court is $30). Like I am going to complain? I went in on Monday and received it today (Saturday). Pretty quick.

Mostly, I read through all the states that have reciprocity agreements with the State of Georgia. HALF the US recognize the permit. Very interesting...

Bruce

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I let my old one expire, and Georgia now doesn't do renewals. It's a whole new application. The total charges are more than the state allows (not supposed to be over $50... but the background check by itself is $50... Probate Court is $30). Like I am going to complain? I went in on Monday and received it today (Saturday). Pretty quick.

Mostly, I read through all the states that have reciprocity agreements with the State of Georgia. HALF the US recognize the permit. Very interesting...

Bruce

I learned that it is best not to let yours expire in Texas. Not that there are any added expenses, however the backlog of folks applying for CHL's is record breaking. That slows down the process of renewal...

My dear wife. who 10 years ago demanded that I rid the house of all firearms. has signed up for gun safety and shooting lessons. I have been instructed to purchase handguns and long rifles. I ain't complaining (about the change of mind), not so cool about the selling off of them.

Most states have really come around to CHL permits. It's good for the country. And amazingly, it's not been the wild west with all these extra guns on the street like the fear mongerers would have us believe. Who'd have thunk it....

Congrats Sir! Always great to have that tool available to you in a time of need.

A renewal is $7.50 here. I do mine by mail. I've never had to use my weapon. but I came close. It's an 'uncomfortable' feeling. Be safe!

K.

Gosh... yours went up in price...

I went in and did the paperwork, fingerprints on Tuesday, received it in the mail on Saturday. I was really expecting a longer wait.

I guess if I had a carry permit I would have to learn all of those one-liners like, "Do you feel lucky, well do ya punk", or "Ride on", or "Make my day", or I wouldn't want to run into "Little Bill" like "English Bob" did. I wonder if the permit allows you to carry two or three. When in the Navy I carried a 45 on watch without any bullets and my back ached the next day, and I was 18 at the time.

JJK

Texas and Oklahoma don't restrict number of concealed handguns you can carry with your permit. Just restrict type. Derringer, Revolver, Semi-auto. If you qual with an SA, you can carry all 3 types. Qual with a revolver, can't carry a SA, just that and derringers. You can carry a.500 S&W if you want.

I never felt the need for a carry permit, nor have I ever been out and about wishing I had a gun close at hand. My dad had a concealed weapon permit, but I think he was mostly concerned with empty beer cans that might surprise him that he'd have to "plink."

So if any of you run into me either on the street or at a pilgrimage, know that I'm unarmed. Well, except for my wits. I might be screwed.

I guess if I had a carry permit I would have to learn all of those one-liners like, "Do you feel lucky, well do ya punk", or "Ride on", or "Make my day", or I wouldn't want to run into "Little Bill" like "English Bob" did.

JJK

Don't forget

I never felt the need for a carry permit, nor have I ever been out and about wishing I had a gun close at hand. My dad had a concealed weapon permit, but I think he was mostly concerned with empty beer cans that might surprise him that he'd have to "plink."

So if any of you run into me either on the street or at a pilgrimage, know that I'm unarmed. Well, except for my wits. I might be screwed.

I don't disagree with you at all. I'm sure most people who have been victims of a store/bank robbery, mugging, car-jacking, etc would have all said the comments. I'll eventually get a CHL, but I probably won't ever carry on my person - It just gives you a little bit more credibility and less police hassle in the event of home defense incident or carrying in the car on long trips (texas is a big state, interstate, etc).

I'm a new owner of my very first handgun, a Glock G17 Gen4 9mm semi-automatic pistol. I never got the chance to qualify with the .45 calibre Colt 1911A1 while in the Army, but always wanted a firearm for myself just for target shooting (I'd love to get proficient at it and maybe enter sport shooting competitions in the future) and for general defense knowledge. I'm now thinking about maybe applying for a concealed weapon permit and attending a class, but that's only "if" I actually consider purchasing the "Baby Glock" G26 subcompact. I work at Disney World, so there's really no threat of anything ever happening that I can imagine on property, and I don't really imagine myself carrying a piece on my person anywhere I'd go...maybe on long road trips or if I ever have to work in Miami again (the only time I wish I had a handgun on me while at a production studio of all places...near a bad section of town)!

post-11084-1381966073608_thumb.jpg

I work at Disney World, so there's really no threat of anything ever happening that I can imagine on property...

I don't know, Jim. I've seen Donald get pretty darn agitated. I'd wait until he's in season, though.

I work at Disney World, so there's really no threat of anything ever happening that I can imagine on property...

I don't know, Jim. I've seen Donald get pretty darn agitated. I'd wait until he's in season, though.

He's a rather plump 160 pound fowl as well...might take half a magazine of 9X19 rounds to drop him, what with all that extra layer of clothing and feathers. But he'd be a tough old bird, so I think I'd shoot a warning shot over his head instead and scare him off.