I have the best wife, bar none!

picky

Since I have a rare weekend free of homework for a change, my sweetie gave me my 60th birthday present early: My wonderful bride, Verna gave me THE still camera of my DREAMS! I have waited years to own one of this caliber along with some great glass! I cannot thank her enough for this wonderful gift. You are without any doubt, the most awesome wife in the world! ...and I REALLY mean it...THIS time! lol ;) Love you! ?

Details: Nikon D700 with a AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED lens. - Glenn

post-10177-13819664424608_thumb.jpg

Since I have a rare weekend free of homework for a change, my sweetie gave me my 60th birthday present early: My wonderful bride, Verna gave me THE still camera of my DREAMS! I have waited years to own one of this caliber along with some great glass! I cannot thank her enough for this wonderful gift. You are without any doubt, the most awesome wife in the world! ...and I REALLY mean it...THIS time! lol ;) Love you! ♥ Details: Nikon D700 with a AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED lens. - Glenn

That is an one excellent camera Glen... Happy early birthday!

That's spectacular, Glenn! The camera and lens, too, of course! I've been tempted by the D700 -- NIH camera club members who have one are completely thrilled with it and absolutely don't regret the slightly greater size. FX is great for getting all the wide angles one pays for, and ED glass to boot ... you two have seriously good taste in cameras and lenses, IMHO!

Larry

You are going to love that. I recently got a Canon D7 (similar specs.) And I absolutely love it for wildlife.

The only problem you will have is if you are shooting wildlife at 8FPS you can end up with lots of photos.

I had a few times shooting birds and I would end up with 600-700 photos in no time.

Thanks, everyone. The actual birthday is Tuesday the 25th. I can't believe I am 60. I certainly do not feel that old.

I knew that I wanted a full frame (36mm x 24mm sensor) camera. So, I looked at both the Canon 5D Mark II and the Nikon D700: Both have about the same price-point, are full-frame and have been out about 2-3 years. When I heard that Canon might not be releasing an upgrade of the 5D Mark II and instead is rumored to release a new model in March or April of 2012 called the D1X with a price-point around $7,000, I immediately gave up the idea of owning a Canon full-frame any time soon. Way too pricey for my budget. I had also hoped to hold out for a Nikon upgrade of the D700 (maybe a D800?). It is rumored the announcement will be made around October 26th, However, Nikon's primarily manufacturing plant in Thailand happens to be currently under 6 feet of water from the monsoons and production has halted. The new camera is rumored to be a 32 megapixel model, so I just know the price-point will not be matching that of the currently D700. It is further rumored the new camera's High-ISO noise might be slightly worse than that of the FX sensor in the D700. And with their factory being down, a new release can't happen for months or maybe even a year from now.

What sold me on the D700 over the Canon 5D Mark II was that the D700 seems to have slightly-better low-light performance, with lower noise. I tend to shoot a lot of low-light stuff without flash. I also prefer the layout of the D700's controls. Plus, the D700 uses the same FX exposure-sensor as the much more costly, Nikon D3S & D3X models. And, like the 5D Mark II, the D700 has proven itself for the past 2-3 years. So I figured that NOW was the time to drop the hammer on a D700 before Nikon's already limited supply (due to the factory outage) is depleted due to the upcoming Christmas rush. Verna agreed with me and said, "go ahead." We ordered it Tuesday night and it arrived last evening (Friday). It's an amazing piece of technology for sure and the lens is so bright and crisp! Happy Camper! :)

Glenn, your wife absolutely rocks ! ...

I'd also luv a Nikon FX to be able to put my old glass to proper use... but my passion for traveling light as well as other priorities at the moment has this on a back burner...

Happy birthday in advance... and enjoy ...

ROb

Thanks for the continued birthday wishes, all! Rob: I know what you mean about traveling light. Consequently, I've not only learned to take some really decent cellphone photos using a new app I downloaded to my iPhone 4 called "Camera +", which emulates an SLR, but invariably, Verna nearly always has her Canon G12 tucked away in her purse and that is a fantastic rangefinder-based, backup camera for SLR users!! Neal: Yes, Verna still has her Laser Red, '96 SVT Cobra (31,000 miles) and still loves it! -Glenn

...One of the last Roses of the season, ala D700...

post-10177-13819664480668_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Well tomorrow is the day, Happy Birthday [^]

Didn't know anything about the D 700 so I looked it up to read about it, WOW. I like the better iso speeds and lower noise, with that 2.8 lens low light should be fun even with very low light, also the flash up to 250 shutter speed, very handy.[Y] And a ton of other features, very nice, just reading about it makes me want to go take some pic's.

Looks like Ms Rose is doing good, tell her hi, and you better be doing alot of kissing up to Mrs V. [;)]

What a wonderful gift from a wonderful wife.

Lucky for me I've already got the wife, just waiting on a full frame camera.

My 6 megapixel D50 will have to do for now. Actually it does well enough that I've used it for some of our publications at work instead of the work provided 7D. I finally convinced them to spend a little bit of money on a better lens so I've started using the 7D more often.