Ok! You spend of thousands.

Wrench722

• Moderators

Listen to 90% of most systems out there and you will appreciate yours.

Or add a 6 pack of your favorite beer or wine and it will sound much better.

But really I think that happens because you hear the same sound all the time, it just becomes standard to you, not bad but what you hear everyday, common.

?

Spend tens of thousands or perhaps hundreds of thousands on better hardware?

OK... All joking aside in MY case I found that a few hundred dollars worth of room treatments made more difference than thousands of dollars worth of equipment upgrades.

If you really want the collective opinion and assistance of the group here we need a LOT more information about what you're working with.

• Moderators

Twist a fattie, works every time.

Oh... I just can't wait to see where this goes. It's been WAY more than 20 years since I "twisted" anything.

I know what you mean, all that's in my past. [:D] like this post

Ok! You spend thousands of dollors and you still dont like the way your system sounds. So what do you do next?

OK, now the serious response (well second serious response) form me.

Normally if you have semi-decent electronics and speakers, and your system sounds like poo, you've got to take a serious look at your room. The room is the single most overlooked aspect of your sound system. It also affects what your hear more so than just about anything else. Speaker placement, listening position, floor, wall and ceiling treatments (or lack thereof) will all effect what ultimately hit your ears. Buying and researching room treatments isn't near as fun as purchasing speakers or gear but it's every bit as important in determining what your final audio experience will be.

i actually experience the same problem, i'm never satisfied with the way my stuff sounds. i think sometimes is just attributed to familiarity and when i go visit someone who has a decent sounding system, i like hearing something a bit different--and when i like the way someone else's system sounds, i start wondering if mine sucks. I know it doesn't, so it helps to play something for friends or family, let them remind you how great your system sounds. But, then this is a sickness, and we seem to always want more, bigger, or better.

Ok! You spend thousands of dollars and you still don't like the way your system sounds. So what do you do next?

1) Start describing what you think your setup should sound like, e.g., what sound qualities are looking for? What kind of music do you predominantly listen to?

2) Describe what you dislike about your current setup's sound.

3) Rank order the characteristics of sound (not products) that you'd change...if you could.

4) Think about the biggest single change that you could make and discuss it here--even though you might get a lot of nonsense, because some of what you'll get here won't be nonsense.

I find that folks tend concentrate on "things" in their setups and not the sound that they're getting.

Chris

Since my living room fails the glide tone tests profusely and the insides of the walls and windows rattle. A new house is in order.

It could always be the room, but if it is, economical things can be done to fix the problems.

Chris

Have you considered seeing an Audiologist?

There may be some undiscovered personal hearing issues involved here.

Don't negate this issue! Some extra wax in the canal can make a big difference. I'm getting mine cleaned out by my friend the ENT doc on Thursday and can't wait to enjoy the restored frequency response again!

Wrench722: I can honestly say this with total confidence: Yes, I have spent thousands of dollars on my Klipsch 7.1 (RF-7-based) Reference system, which I completed in 2004. And other than increasing the rear channels +3db once, I have had to do NOTHING FURTHER to my system since then and I am COMPLETELY SATISFIED with how it sounds. Imagine my suprise that after 50 years of trying to get the sound just right, I finally have. I can honestly say that I have never met another soul who can admit they are also content with their system's sound. Therefore, I must be one in a million, so stop beating yourself up for nothing. You're normal. ;) -Glenn

Some of it may have to do with the first handful of improvements/upgrades that were made in the sound nirvana quest. Those changes made such a difference, and created an expectation (need?) that there is more that can be done.

I'm not saying that you're looking for something that doesn't exist. Just thought of one aspect that feeds this hobby.

What do you feel is lacking in your system's sound?