Favorite Pre-amps?

Bubo

I am up to my eye-balls in amps, and I am now experimenting with various pre-amps. So far, the Vintage Yamaha's are pretty darn good.

Soon, I will be experimenting with using my Pioneer HTS as the pre-amp fronting 3 Class A Yamaha amps.

Emotiva has on paper a pretty good modern pre-amp, is there anything else near it in this price performance range. I may pick up a mint used to put it side by side with my Mac and Yamaha and have a bake off. Having said that, transparent should be transparent?

Any suggestions on FAVs both modern and vintage (Yamaha)?

I will be running the pre-amps through Mac and Yamaha amps and driving my La Scalas.

I can honestly say that Juicy Music Merlin was one of my favorite preamps (I liked it more than its bigger brothers: The Peach & Blueberry).

I can agree with that 100%

Too bad they never come up for sale!

I wonder why? [;)] You just can't use it with a bunch of SS amps.

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...

Buy American!

At this time I have the folloing three:

Conrad Johnson PV10B upgraded to PV12 technology by CJ

Audio Research SP-14 stock

Hafler stock

I take a long time to listen to a new component before passing judgement. The Hafler I bought as a reasonable back up. The CJ I have been running for over 3 years. PV10B has a slightly warm phono section, deep soundstage and excellent attack / decay.

SP-14 I have had for about 10 months. It is not as clinical as my JM Blueberry that I had for several years was with digital sources. Great digital sounds great on most systems. Poor digital software does not sound as good as the CJ when played through the SP-14. I have not listened to enogh vinyl on the SP-14 to make a final judgement.

JM BB was excellent on phono.

PV10B has more bass weight than the SP-14 but the SP-14 needs a to trip to NOS Valves for new caps in a few areas to be a fair comparrison.

My favorite besides the PV10B was a HH Scott LC-21 or 130 vintage preamp. Most vintage tube preamps are bloomy. Scotts were the best of the early 1960s.

SP-14 is a hybrid tube preamp and has a differnt sonic character than an all tube preamp. I like the SP-14 allot but need more time with the phono.

Emotiva has on paper a pretty good modern pre-amp, is there anything else near it in this price performance range. I may pick up a mint used to put it side by side with my Mac and Yamaha and have a bake off.

I have the USP preamp from Emotiva, it sounds really nice, it's a lot cleaner and clearer than the UMC I have but as far as preamps go I don't know how it stacks up. This is the only preamp I've owned so far lol.

Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid; the Dynaco PAT 4 (a NOS kit I recently built) and best of all - no preamp. Had a chnce to hear the JM Peach years ago and liked it also very much indeed. Would have preferred chassis mount inputs and outputs, but one constantly has to make compromises here and there. Build quality was otherwise very good.

I can't say I've tried many - but I can honestly say that Juicy Music Merlin was one of my favorite preamps (I liked it more than its bigger brothers: The Peach & Blueberry). Too bad they never come up for sale!

I have been looking for one for a while now. I am looking to upgrade my preamp, but I cannot find any JM products out there.

I haven't tried that many different units before... but I am reasonably happy with my Emotiva USP. I think it's doing a fairly good job so far and I don't think I will be changing to another unit very soon

I have had only a few preamps, but the SUMO Electra is my favorite. It also has the L, R, L+R (mono) input modes that are rare today. One little caveat, no headphone jack! I asked James Bongiorno (sp?) (the designer) why, and he said it would have cost extra. In truth, I have not used headphones at home in many years, so no diff to me.

BTW, there is a very active "SUMO/GAS/Ampzilla/SAE" Yahoo group, which I how I got it touch with Mr. B.

I must have a lots of switching options and tone controls so that limits my choices, especially now with purists in vogue. I love the marantz 7 and 7T, the older Mcintosh preamps, I guess I love almost any full features preamp from the 1950s-1970s.

But my holy grail?

A Luxman C5000a, a true gem from the end of the golden age of audio.

warm regards,

tony

As someone who loves vintage equipment, I can't help but mention the Lexicon DC-1 DSP I bought years ago, modified by Shawn Fogg for multi-channel SACD use. Even as a stand-alone two channel preamp it's transparency leaves many other designs wanting -- of course just in terms of what I like to hear and for its seemingly never ending flexibility.

Personally, I still love my Audio Research SP6-B (or SP6-A). Without a doubt it has a certain coloration, but it's a good coloration, especially with phono/LP. Very "musical" (I really hate using those kind of subjective adjectives).

I really don't care for the older 70's/80's solid state McIntosh. To me they've always sounded dark, opaque and dull.

While Yamaha has made some nice stuff, very excellent tuners in particular (T1 & T2), IMHO, their preamps are not in the same league as the likes of vintage Audio Research, Dynaco PAS, Fisher and Marantz 7c, etc. But then again, neither are their prices [:D]

But my holy grail?
A Luxman C5000a, a true gem from the end of the golden age of audio.
warm regards,
tony

Right on Tony!

I was going to mention that one too but I see you beat me to it. I love my Luxman MB3045 monoblocks. Haven't used them in while as they need the power supply caps replaced, just for saftey sake if nothing else.