Monday Night Footbal observation

USNRET

Watching Monday Night Football, Gruden reminds me of why I disliked Howard Cossell.

If either team make a positive play then they are hyped as great; a
losing play then its 2 minutes of "see I told you they sucked".

Hypocritical, two faced....just running off at the mouth because he can
not give meaningful input. Hummm, seems sports is getting a lot like
the news

Heck, I didn't think they are a bad duo. Gruden's knowledge of the game is undeniable. Cosell didn't come close.

As far as Mike Tirico goes, I don't know who is better than him in the sports broadcasting business? Very rare for him to misspeak.

Do you think any of the below duos would be better?

Al Michaels & Chris Collinsworth

Greg Gumbel & Dan Dierdorf

Jim Nantz & Phil Simms

Kenny Albert & Daryl Johnston

Joe Buck & Troy Aikman

I'm kinda doubting it myself.

I do not question Gruden's knowledge, I simply compared his propensity to appear two faced during the game with what I (personally) saw in Cossell. I expect a nationally aired sportscaster to call the plays as they happen and not appear to jump on and off either /both team's band wagon each play.

This is by no means of an actual example but what I observed during the broadcast

Team 1 play is a run up the middle and it goes nowhere; result Gruden talks about how little talent team 1 has at running back.

Next play team 1 runs a play up the middle for a gain and Gruden is beside himself all about how great team 1's running attack is.

Sounds like Cossell to me, but then I had an adult beverage and a nacho or 2.

I'll have to watch for that specifically. I might suggest its a case of his "color" is per play. In other words each play is a different story. That might explain the bandwagon hopping. For what it's worth, I think Gruden is best at sizing up specific players and should talk more about their strengths/weaknesses and less about about how good the overall squads are.

If we retain John L i'll become a Bama fan, no offense. Actually i've always liked you guys. Now Texas is another matter.

I've read a couple statements recently from Gruden exploring the idea of coaching again. If so, doesn't mean college & certainly doesn't mean Arkansas. Here's to wishing cause this year is dam painful.