Survey: how many forum members now have, or have had an old H/K 430, 630, 730, or 930?

HDBRbuilder

OK, I am trying to find out the following:

1. Which of these you have had or currently have (and how many): H/K 430, 630, 730 or 930 from the early to mid 1970s, NOT the more recent ones using the same name.

2. Which you currently have, if any

3. Why you got one or more to begin with?

4.What you think of it, or them...and if more than one model, which you liked the best.

Thanks!

I've had 2 430's and 1 730 (I think). Both 430's came from the same thrift shop and I bought them about 2 months apart. I found the 930 at a hamfest 10 or so years ago. I bought the units because they've always had decent reviews and the units were too cheap to leave on the shelf ($10, $12 and $20 respectively). I listened to all 3 but only about 2-5 hours each - just to make sure they worked so I didn't really take away any lasting impressions...sorry, that's probably the whole reason for this thread. I will say that I prefer vintage tubed gear so these didn't excite me as much as some folks. I ended up giving them all away to friends and fellow audiofools over the years.

I have two of the 430s, purchased from different members of the forum. My younger son was given one to use while in school and has since graduated. He still has it, connected to a pair of JBL L36 speakers.

The other one I use connected to a pair of Heresy II speakers. I have my TV/Cable hooked up to it, so it's mostly 2 channel HT duty. (LasScalas are hooked up to my Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps.

The sound is decent (the phone pre is pretty good), and hard to beat for the money. I got a 730 from someone and gave it to a friend of mine. Really nice, and it has pre outs and power amp inputs, so is a bit more flexible. He uses it for the tuner and his TV, powering some JBL L56 speakers.

Bruce

I had a 430 and a 730 when I was a teen (730 was a hand me down from my father). originally (during those teen years) I had KLH speakers in my bedroom but mostly listened with Stanton earspeakers (I forget the model) I loved the sound of 70´s rock on that system, the radio was magical also. I later made my own floor standing speakers and took those with me to college. lost the HK equipment during my 20s. I most recently bought a 730 to use in a spare room system, I remembered that to me the 730 seemed better (and had cooler meters!) they will be hooked up to some Infinity bookshelf speakers initially. love the 730. regards, T

• Moderators

We have one it is the H/K 930, it was a wedding present from forum member Arfanbark.

Wanted one because of there reputation for great sound, and I think some of the old designs just sound better.

It sounds great, full sound not the lean thin sound of most of todays HT receivers. Never had any of the other H/K models so I can't compare, I did have a Sansui 8080, it also had a very nice sound and wish I still had it. Never had both at the same time so i can't compare.

The only thing that scares me is being an older model if it breaks it's not easy to find a repair person that can be trusted and it could easily be way more expensive than what it is worth. It's worth alot to me but at a certain point you would have to consider all options, I don't want to think about it breaking. [:(]

1. Which of these you have had or currently have (and how many): H/K 430, 630, 730 or 930 from the early to mid 1970s, NOT the more recent ones using the same name.

one of them, don't remember. Maybe the 630.

2. Which you currently have, if any.

none

3. Why you got one or more to begin with?

because of yoy.

4.What you think of it, or them...and if more than one model, which you liked the best.

It was good for the money. Solid bass if I remember correctly, it has been many years. Never used the phono.

There are many very good AVR's out there for a great deal that were made in the last decade. Everyone wants HDMI so the older ones are give aways. Although a lot more $ than a 430, I have a Denon AVR 5800 for a second system. Any of its features are worth what they are going for right now (preamp, power amp, dac, phono).

I have 2 430s, My son has a 630 that Andy and forum members helped me get for my sons X-mas. I use to have a 930 but sons friend needed a reciever so I sold it to him on the rule I get first chance to buy it back. My 430 was compared to a Yamaha 1040 which the 430 beat down no problem. Rick

I had a 430 for a while found it by a trash can in an alley. Took it home checked the fuses turned it on left it on for a couple of days in the garage. Hooked it up to my speakers and was very pleased with the sound. I ran it for a week and cleaned it up and gave it away. simple amp well desiged. Best regards Moray James.

I have a 430, 630, & 730. The 630 is fully operational and is a very capable receiver, excellent phono section, and good tuner. My 430 and 730 are both in need of servicing (lamps, pots need cleaning etc) so I can't really offer a comparison. Bought them because of recommendations on this forum. To my ears they live up to what other forum members here have said.

I picked up a 730 about 2 yrs ago to run my LS's. Before I got it, I was using an HK AV347 reciever, which sounded pretty good. I was/and still am very amazed how much better the 730 sounds.....it is very noticable. I also have a Sansui AU-717, which is a very good integrated amp, but the 730 wins out. I have never heard or owned a tube amp, but it is hard to imagine they could sound any better than the HK 730 (I don't have any experience with the 430 or other models). At some point I may try a tube amp, but right now I'm very satisfied with the 730. It makes the LS's really sing......warm and detailed, with a lot of punch. Most of my friends don't believe it is just a 45W amp.....at about 1/3 on volume dial, it rocks the foundation.

For those of you who have owned one of these twin-powered amps and also a tube amp......are tubes that much better?

Hogfan

I recently bought a 430 for my daughter and (mostly) son-in-law to go with the Cornwalls I also picked up for them. Sounds terrific. I also had a 730 (or 930?) given to me a number of years ago by a forum member for my next door neighbor. It also sounded (probably still sounds) terrific although they moved a few years ago. I can't give an opinion as to which sounds better since I never had the chance to hear them side-by-side but it was easy to tell they were brother and sister.

I got the 430 because the 730 sounded so good with Heritage speakers, not to mention what a bargain they are. I paid about $100 for a beautifully refurbished unit in perfect condition. I'm sure the 730 was originally purchased because Andy convinced us all way back when to give the HK's a try. He always bragged about his 430/Heresy combo!

Andy - Nobody who took your advice was disappointed!

I've had a 930 for five years or so. Very nice unit. Frankly, I think it's too much power for what I need most of the time.

Got it based on the recommendations on this forum. Twin power supplies!

I don't use it much and if anyone wants to buy it, let me know. It has been serviced once and I think everything is fine except there's something up with the tuner. From what I remember, the service tech didn't want to do the tuner work and I decided just to let it go because I don't listen to the radio anyway.

Greg

I've had a 930 for five years or so. Very nice unit. Frankly, I think it's too much power for what I need most of the time.

Got it based on the recommendations on this forum. Twin power supplies!

I don't use it much and if anyone wants to buy it, let me know. It has been serviced once and I think everything is fine except there's something up with the tuner. From what I remember, the service tech didn't want to do the tuner work and I decided just to let it go because I don't listen to the radio anyway.

Greg

forget the hk greg sell me your luxman C5000A! Tony

1. I've had two 430's and a 930.

2. Currently own a single 430 which is out for rebuilding right now.

3. Gave one 430 to my brother-in-law with a pair of Heresy's. Sold the 930. Just had too much gear for proper WAF.

4. Favorite: 430.

Liked the 930 because it had pre-out and power-in jacks. Otherwise, I'd have to say I preferred the 430. The 930 is a boat anchor and I couldn't discern any difference in the sound on my Heritage speakers.

I've owned three different 430's, but the allure of the big brother 930 got the better of me and I own one now.

I sold all of the 430's, but I still keep my eyes open for the chance to steal one from some unsuspecting Craigslist seller.

The first one I ever bought I paid $10.00 for it. The second one $25.00 and the last one $40.00.

Had fun with all of them and sold them for $100.00 to $150.00.

Great investments and they pair well with Heresys, KG4's, Fortes and many other Klipsch.

I really like the 930. I think this is my favorite of the two models I have owned.

Tom

Currently have an original condition 430 and a restored 730. Had a second 730, but it was given as payment for restoring the other. This forum pointed me toward these beauties. All were purchased through Ebay. I like the 730's preouts and more inputs, but for some reason the 430 brings me into the music a little more.