Pay-Pal verification.

CECAA850

Is that legit? I keep getting notices from Pay-Pal that I need to get verified by supplying them with my bank info. Why do they need that? I pay them with a credit card. They say my account will no longer be active after I spend $xxx.xx unless I verify my account. Scam? Legit? If legit, then why???

Thanks, Carl

I provided mine to them several years ago in order to A) be able to pay from a dedicated account; I only keep $5 in until I want to buy and then transfer more funds into that account and B) some ebay sellers wouldn't accept bids unless you had verified bank and shipping address. It hasn't caused me any difficulties..........yet

Paypal really would like your bank info as they would rather you pay with your bank account because if you use a credit card you have recourse. They hate it when you dispute a charge. They would rather be judge and jury. That all being said, if your gonna give them any info sign in through the website. NEVER FOLLOW AN EMAIL LINK!

The link is from paypal, I'm fairly certain. I would however sign into the website to become verified. You can either sign up for Buy now, pay later, apply for a credit card or supply bank info. None of the options seem appealing. I just don't want them to shut off my account.

Here's a copy and paste of what they're sending. I've gotten one after my last two transactions that I've paid with Pay-Pal.

Dear Carl ,

We wanted to let you know that you're just $695.69 USD away from hitting your initial PayPal sending limit of $10,000.00 USD. This is the maximum amount of money you can send or use for purchases before you need to become Verified.

Why do I need to verify my account?

We place initial limits on all accounts to increase security and help prevent fraud. Once you link and confirm a bank account or get approved for PayPal credit, your account will be Verified and you'll be able to make as many payments as you like with PayPal.

How do I get Verified and remove my sending limit?

• Log in to your PayPal account at www.paypal.com and click Get Verified at the top of the page.
  • Follow the instructions to link your bank account to your PayPal account. We'll deposit 2 small amounts in your bank account to confirm that it's yours.
  • Check your bank statement in 2-3 days and note the 2 amounts. Then log back in to your PayPal account and enter these amounts.

For anyone that feels uncomfortable contacting Paypal regarding this issue, you may wish to do the following:

1. Send me all of your Paypal info;

2. Along with your SS#, checking and banking account #'s; and

3. Any credit card #'s, with the three number code, that have large credit lines.

Trust Me....

th?id=H.5058351310701113&pid=1.7

I would connect directly to PayPal, sign in to your account and see what alerts, if any, they have on your account. Some buyers require a PayPal user to be verfied.

No alerts that I can see.

EDIT, nothing on the home page but when I go to my account page it says I'm about to hit my spending limit.

Carl initially the limit was something like 2000 dollars, maybe less. If you log in to your paypal account (not by following link) you should be alright. I did it years ago and always choose credit card when using paypal. You have a choice every time you use it. Being verified has its advantages. Just always take the extra step of choosing credit card. The account number I verified with is no longer valid but it doesn't matter because I do not use anything except american express for paypal. American express has the best service when disputing a transaction imo. I would not set up an extra account unless it is free and has a low minimum balance requirement or none at all.

Several years ago I opened a savings account at a local credit union so I could co-sign a loan for my son. It took $25.00 to open it. With interest, I may have close to $26.00 by now (lol). I get a statement quarterly. I'll try to find my last statement tonight when I get home and use that account for verification. Thanks for all the responses.

<p>Set up a separate account and keep $20 in it.  </p>

This.

My PayPal account is tied to a checking account at a bank other than my primary checking and savings accounts. When I want to buy something using PayPal I go down town, withdrawal the $$ from my primary bank's ATM and deposit the funds in my other account's ATM. In my case they are across the street from each other. Quick, easy, and safe. I can do a wire transfer between accounts online but there's a small charge associated with it. 9 times out of 10 I'm close to the banks on other errands so it's convenient. In addition to all of this as the "attached" credit card I use a prepaid Amex card with a $10 balance.

Find yourself a local bank offering free checking with no balance requirements and open a checking account with 20 or 30 bucks. This is the account that you'll be tying your PayPal account to.

Unless they've changed in the several years since I opened my PayPal account the "verification" process is pretty simple. They deposit a few cents in the target checking account and then ask you to verify how much they put in.

One of the better perks of having a "verified" PayPal account is that they'll issue you a debit card with access to the $$ in your PayPal account. It works just like any other debit card. Most ATMs will charge 2 or 3 bucks for cash withdrawals but if you buy a pack of gum or a soda at the local grocery you can get cash back with no additional charge.

PayPal can be a terrific tool if you take the time and make the effort to get it all set up just right. If you don't it can turn in to a financial nightmare.

Here's the rules when using PayPal without significant risk. (1) Attach a checking account at a bank other than you're primary account. (2) Attach a prepaid credit card (available everywhere) as your credit card funding backup. (3) Establish a VERY secure password. I'm talking 12+ characters and a mix of upper case, lower case, numbers, and punctuation marks. Change it every 30 days or so. The more complex the password is the less likely that'll be hacked.

Good luck!