Brand New Member....

srvrip

Hey all! Brand new to the Forums, not to Klipsch. I joined because I just discovered "My Wifes'" cat clawed his way thru

the woofer on one of my Forte ones. These were bought back in 1988 and I was wondering if anyone out there

can give me some advice as to any shops in the Chicago area that would do a good job of replacing it...

Also, can anyone give me a ballpark figure of how much money we are talking. I assume the cone can be replaced

as opposed to buying an entire new speaker...

Thanks for any and all help,

John

John,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your fortes.

Place a "WTB a Forte Woofer" ad in the Garage Sale section and you should get plenty of responses. If no one has one to sell, someone can usually point you in the right direction.

By the way, is the damage woofer the rear passive or the front active?

Good luck,

Bill

Front Active. :( BTW, you guys are on the ball! Most forums I belong to take a few days for some dude to say "Dude, I wish I could help you out, but I can't".

LOL!!! Also, do these speakers have much value. In that question, I mean I have heard about Mods to the crossovers, etc. and am wondering

if combining the repair with a mod. would be worth it, or just a waste of money. Thanks again, and I'll go check the link Bill gave me. Thanks, as you can tell,

I'm kinda bummed out about the whole thing, but I should have Known better. When not in use, I place them face to face, one side against the wall

and the backside of the other against a 2x12 guitar cabinet...

John

Your Fortes are worth refreshing, just watch that cat. I myself recently completely refreshed my 1990 Chorus II and they sound stellar. I got everything from Bob Crites who has been supplying upgrades and parts for older Klipsch speakers quite sometime, Google his name along with Klipsch. I looked at buying caps and recapping myself and saw just how reasonable he was based on his recapping kit, I ended up with his replacement crossovers, Ti tweeter diaphragms and the mid diaphragms that he offers. Trifecta of top quality, excellent service and quite reasonable, no affiliation he just earned my respect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like the wife's cat needs a scratching post. We have had our cat for a few years now and we bought a huge scratching tree that she sleeps in and scratches the S$!5 out of that thing. Never has even looked at my speakers (knocked on my nightstand). You shouldn't have to move your speakers after listening. What a pain that would be. I'd get rid of that cat if that was the case in my house. I spend too much time making sure they are in the right spot for good imaging.

Welcome by the way! This a great place with a lot of great guys.

The wifes' cat DID have a scratching post, the carpeted power supply section of my 2200 watt Ham Radio

Linear Amp... Fixed that, which is probably what took my eye off the front of my Fortes....

Thanks for all the comments! I am overwhelmed. I will look into the upgrades you guys have suggested!

John

Welcome

What about something like this........................................................connected to a 110V outlet :rolleyes:

It's good to see new people on the forum!

I built an electric fence that was 110V once. I was trying to keep thieves out. Not only was it effective against the thief, but the neighbor's cat as well.

Taz

Welcome to our forum, and yes you should look into freshining up your crossover. I just installed (actually 4 hours ago) a "Bob Crites" special and it's superlative!

Was the crossover refresh in a Forte?

No, a pair of Cornscala's got 'em, along with CT-125 tweets and Atlas drivers for the squawkers.