Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

14 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

tell him not to listen to the third base coach -- trust his instinct :D

When i was 16, my team was on the losing end of a no-hitter. The score was 1-0.  It was a near perfect game; but, i had drawn a walk late in the game.  I stole second and the throw went into center field -- i went to Third.   Next two batters strike out.  Then there is, can’t recall if it was a passed ball or wild pitch; but, i started for home and the third base coach called me back.  I stopped. The batter ends up striking out.  Ever since that day, i’ve regretted listening to the coach, as i think i could have made it home to tie the game.  Sadly, i’ll never know.  But, when your team hasn’t had a hit in at least six innings, you have to try. 

That's a fine line, but the coach will ALWAYS say to listen to him. 

If you would have tried to steal home, and got thrown out, then it's all on you. And that coach might be on a forum right now talking about the game he lost years ago because a kid didn't listen to him :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ceptorman said:

If you would have tried to steal home, and got thrown out, then it's all on you. And that coach might be on a forum right now talking about the game he lost years ago because a kid didn't listen to him :D

True.  By obeying, Stew covered his buttocks.  Maybe, and hopefully, that coach can't sleep at nights for calling him back.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ceptorman said:

Bill, a pastor friend of mine said nearly the same thing.  he told me to remember the story as the coach sparing me from the embarrassment of being thrown out.  There is truth to that; but, an athlete has to believe that he’s going to succeed every time ... if not, why play the game?  I remember Kobe Bryant being asked about his shot selection and saying something like .... i think i can make every shot that i take. 

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

As a runner, you shouldn't be wasting time looking in the outfield.  Turning your head will slow you down.  You need to be staring at the coach.

i've reran this scenario a hundred times ... and make it every time.  what more proof do i need?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

As a runner, you shouldn't be wasting time looking in the outfield.  Turning your head will slow you down.  You need to be staring at the coach.

Who is looking at the outfield?  What are you talking about?  The passed ball/ wild pitch is behind the catcher.  You don't stare at the coach, you listen to the coach.

• Like 1

ne'er had to worry about ball sports. No hand-eye.

I'm competitive with a bowling ball.  I don't get it out unless there is money involved. I will use someone else's ball if I am just playing around.  Usually a righty's. That makes it interesting.

I'm a lefty.

now, you know what is wrong with me, besides me trying to separate my back and hips over a parking block, while flying a kite. 

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

Bill, a pastor friend of mine said nearly the same thing.  he told me to remember the story as the coach sparing me from the embarrassment of being thrown out.  There is truth to that; but, an athlete has to believe that he’s going to succeed every time ... if not, why play the game?  I remember Kobe Bryant being asked about his shot selection and saying something like .... i think i can make every shot that i take. 

I'll bet a good baseball player has as good of a sense about whether he can make it than the coach, I'll bet you would've made it Steve :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Who is looking at the outfield?  What are you talking about?  The passed ball/ wild pitch is behind the catcher.  You don't stare at the coach, you listen to the coach.

In a passed ball yes.  In a ball hit to the outfield use the coach.

4 hours ago, dtel said:

Very nice, and the best neighbors.

All this talk about baseball, I really miss it, played in three different leagues years ago.

I liked playing baseball also, especially pitching. I like the mind games you can play while pitching. I was probably a better catcher, only two positions I've ever played.

Our Loropetalum (Loropetalum chinenseare in bloom. These are typically used as shrubs but we bough three that were  groomed (?) as trees. They are planted so that their crowns merge. Pretty and a nice relief from the "green monotony" of suburbs. They get a bit wild and need a good trimming every few years. Grow about 12 feet high. Ours are the  Burgundy variety

lorapetelum 2018A.jpg

• Like 1