DeanG RF-7ii (From Start to Finish)

Youthman

• Moderators
I would guess that its a good chance you will like it. I read the part that they won't change the sound just refine it.

I would think the same thing, your going to be happy.

Cool pic's Youthman, as usually !

The negative disconnect won't fit on the positive tab, but the positive will fit on the negative. Therefore, when you put them back together, start with reconnecting the negative leads.

Tell us more about having to do the tweeter negative for the tweeter "by feel"? How will this effect installation?

So, this only requires removing the middle woofer, and no one has to deal with pulling the horns out - that's huge. You pull woofers out the same way I do, pretty funny.

All crossover upgrades or mods change the sound. "Refinement" is one of the things you get with the effort, but it won't sound "the same". The goal is to produce more of what you like while reducing the elements that you don't. Grain, hash, glare, and harshness aren't the kind of things we want to hear in our systems. You'd be surprised how much of that is caused by the crossover. Those oval shaped polyesters are the worst.

Edited by DeanG
  • Like 3

All crossover upgrades or mods change the sound. "Refinement" is one of the things you get with the effort, but it won't sound "the same". The goal is to produce more of what you like while reducing the elements that you don't. Grain, hash, glare, and harshness aren't the kind of things we want to hear in our systems. You'd be surprised how much of that is caused by the crossover.

Those oval shaped polyesters are the worst.

:emotion-21:

Pics showing the process are invaluable for anyone contemplating doing something like this. I myself have never been afraid to open things up, but clear steps really help those who may be on the fence about doing something like this.

Great job!

Bruce

That's why Youthman isn't going to have to pay for his upgrade - his willingness to do this for me is beyond awesome.

This isn't any more difficult than doing the RF-7. There is no secret to doing this - you just have to take your time and pay attention to what you're doing. Trust me on this, the results are normally jaw dropping.

I can already tell that the Mills resistors are going be mounted from the bottom.

• Moderators
Tell us more about having to do the tweeter negative for the tweeter "by feel"? How will this effect installation?

What I mean is that you will not be able to see the hole where the speaker wire goes into since it is on the opposite side of the tweeter. I will have to reach both hands into the woofer hole, one hand will hold the speaker wire and the other hand will depress the spring loaded speaker terminal. Really shouldn't effect installation other than it might take a few minutes to get the wire in the terminal since you can't see the hole from the upper woofer hole. Does that clarify?

That's why Youthman isn't going to have to pay for his upgrade - his willingness to do this for me is beyond awesome.

I think this is a very generous gesture from Dean. We both will benefit from this in that I agreed to provide high res images showing all of the steps of Removal and Installing. Of course I will provide my typical Youthman review once the DeanG Crossovers have been installed.

I'm also excited to have the first pair of DeanG RF-7ii's. Some might think that's risky because Dean hasn't ever upgraded a pair of RF-7ii's before but after talking with Dean on the phone, he is VERY knowledgeable and his reputation for upgrading other Klipsch Crossovers is exceptional.

I have no hesitation in allowing him to upgrade the crossovers. My only hesitation was in my ability to remove and reinstall them but as you can see from the steps, it was MUCH easier than I had expected. When I first began this thread, I originally attempted to remove the tweeter but to do that, you have to pry off the plastic Trim around the horn. It's held on by 3M adhesive and it doesn't come off very easily. Having to only remove one woofer simplifies the process immensely. If I can do it, for sure, just about anyone can.

Dean, I'm packing the crossovers up now and will PM you with a tracking number today.

• Like 1

...I think this is a very generous gesture from Dean. We both will benefit from this in that I agreed to provide high res images showing all of the steps of Removal and Installing. Of course I will provide my typical Youthman review once the DeanG Crossovers have been installed.

I'm also excited to have the first pair of DeanG RF-7ii's. Some might think that's risky because Dean hasn't ever upgraded a pair of RF-7ii's before but after talking with Dean on the phone, he is VERY knowledgeable and his reputation for upgrading other Klipsch Crossovers is exceptional.

You take beautiful pictures and my guess is after all of that work NO WAY are you going to like the old crossovers better.

• Like 1

Youthman, once you improve the networks in the RF7ii's you can't stop a just one. You will want to hear the improvement in all of your system networks. Its an addiction. One we all participate in.

Thanks to you and DeanG for the experience.

Edited by toolz

Nervousness... I foresee absolutely zero possibility that these modifications are going to yield anything but outstanding results.

All it takes is the will to do it, and the trust in Dean.

Edited by Schu

Nervousness... I foresee absolutely zero possibility that these modifications are going to yield anything but outstanding results...

I can't imagine Youthman putting them in and coming back and say they sound like crap...Then again, I've never heard the RF-7II or a deang'd RF-7.

Note: I tried to in Indy (or maybe it was Hope) but got distracted and missed the audition. :blink:

Edited by tkdamerica

• Moderators
Those RF-7II woofers look like subwoofer drivers.

They are. :D

Here is a comparison of the RF-7 woofer vs the RF-7ii woofer. Much smaller magnet than the original RF-7's.

Klipsch-RF-7-woofer-vs-RF-7ii-Woofer.jpg

This thread is like following one of your kids through surgery! I hope they turn out ok! ;) It's fascinating!

That's awesome. :D

You take beautiful pictures and my guess is after all of that work NO WAY are you going to like the old crossovers better.

Thanks. I believe I will be very pleased as well just based off of those that have DeanG xovers.

Youthman, once you improve the networks in the RF7ii's you can't stop a just one. You will want to hear the improvement in all of your system networks. Its an addiction. One we all participate in. Thanks to you and DeanG for the experience.

That just might be DeanG's plan all along. :P

All it takes is the will to do it, and the trust in Dean.

Check and Check! ;)

I can't imagine Youthman putting them in and coming back and say they sound like crap...Then again, I've never heard the RF-7II or a deang'd RF-7.

Me too. Honestly, I'm totally going by faith. I do trust Dean and truly believe he will do an outstanding job with my crossovers. I'm excited because I've never heard any DeanG crossovers before. Truly looking forward to the experience.

I don't think your really crazy , I would be so nervous to do that. They are so expensive. I think it's cool what your doing. Very interesting

Just curious--What did you think about your RF-7IIs when you got them home?

When I got them home I was amazed with how they sounded , big difference from my paradigm 9. The detail and power , out standing.

When I used the term your "crazy" I meant no disrespect to anyone, above all Youthman. Youthman has always offered his help and know how , there's no way I would want to disrespect him.

I think what him and DeanG are doing is really interesting, and im looking forward to the results . If anything give me the courage and know how to go about doing something like this. And I thank them both and appoligize if I have insulted anyone.

I don't think your really crazy , I would be so nervous to do that. They are so expensive. I think it's cool what your doing. Very interesting

Just curious--What did you think about your RF-7IIs when you got them home?

When I got them home I was amazed with how they sounded , big difference from my paradigm 9. The detail and power , out standing.

When I used the term your "crazy" I meant no disrespect to anyone, above all Youthman. Youthman has always offered his help and know how , there's no way I would want to disrespect him.

I think what him and DeanG are doing is really interesting, and im looking forward to the results . If anything give me the courage and know how to go about doing something like this. And I thank them both and appoligize if I have insulted anyone.

I didn't take that you were showing disrespect to anyone and glad you like your RF-7IIs...I also think if you really like your speakers it would be 'crazy' to change the crossovers in them. :)

Me either. People who do this ARE crazy. I certainly felt like I was when I did my own so long ago.

The woofer comparison is interesting. What you're seeing on the RF-7 is not the magnet that's part of the motor structure, but a bucking magnet, that covers the driver magnet, intended to stop stray fields from messing with your Sony Trinitron. :)

Edited by DeanG

RF-7 is not the magnet that's part of the motor structure, but a bucking magnet

Beat me to it, I was just going to post the same thing. It's odd they're on a floorstander though. I normally am used to seeing them on center channels.