Static electricity, how do I eliminate?

SonicSeeker

Use a humidifier.

I've been thinking about getting one for here in the desert... but one for each room is necessary?

my main living area is about 40'x20' and my master bedroom is the same size.

Edited by Schu

A ground strap. This is basically a metal cable with a 1 Meg ohm resistor in series. One end is connected to ground, your audio system's ground. The other end you grab a hold of for a few seconds before touching your equipment. The 1 meg resistor will allow the charge built up on you to bleed off to ground slowly. These are used in the electronics industry to prevent static discharges from damaging sensitive microelectronic devices.

Raising the humidity level if it is very low will also definitely help also.

babadono

I think a set-and-forget whole-house humidifier attached to your furnace is probably best, but costs. Colorado must be very dry in the Winter.

I have a Vicks (much better than CVS) "Warm Mist Humidifier" which can help one room without having to fool with adding salt, changing filters, etc. A vaporizer will put out a lot more humidity, but you gotta add a right amount of salt and keep it up to make it produce. These are much cheaper than adding a humidifier to your furnace.

The ambiance and your skin will feel much better with a good humidity level, like the 35% mine is set at.

Even higher humidity may only reduce, not eliminate, a static problem. In those situations, I hold a key or metal in my hand, and de-charge my body through it directly onto the equipment.

What can I do to discharge before I touch my stereo?

Just curious as to why you want to do this. If the equipment has the usual 3 wire power cord, the chassis is at ground potential and any static charge you carry will be discharged appropriately. It should not be of concern relative to damaging the equipment in any way.

Maynard

The best defense is proper humidity. I bought a couple of these for the house: http://www.essickair.com/products/humidifiers/category/whole-house/ma1201/

They hold 5 gallons each and when it gets really cold outside I have to fill them twice a day.

We could scrap all the antistatic devices and SD shoes in the server room at work once we got the humidity under control.

Hey, let's start another fun debate!! The humidity level in the room affects sound... discuss

The best defense is proper humidity. I bought a couple of these for the house: http://www.essickair.com/products/humidifiers/category/whole-house/ma1201/

They hold 5 gallons each and when it gets really cold outside I have to fill them twice a day.

We could scrap all the antistatic devices and SD shoes in the server room at work once we got the humidity under control.

Hey, let's start another fun debate!! The humidity level in the room affects sound... discuss

The music sounds heavy and over dampened.

Or dry and thin.

Or dry and thin.

Keeping a pot of water on the stove. Just a little.

What can I do to discharge before I touch my stereo?

Simple, just go touch your wife or significant other on the neck, but if you got kids you're in luck, they're great and even better for discharging those nasty little electrons.

If the equipment has the usual 3 wire power cord, the chassis is at ground potential and any static charge you carry will be discharged appropriately.
Yeah -- via a jumping spark that stings. The charge builds up in non-conductive bodies (like clothes, shoes, plastic knobs) that won't drain to ground. It's the charge on your body, not the metallic equipment, that generates the stingy spark.