Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

My morning routine has me enjoying a cup or two of non GMO, environmentally friendly, green, expensive, co-op purchased, coffee while reading the latest in the cable debate now on page 19 in one thread and a "hot topic" in two others.

Pursuing Cal's thread that wandered a bit and ended up in a discussion of coffee I would like to pick the brain of the serious coffee drinkers here and get some suggestions, tips, and advice.

Here are the particulars. I usually do not grind my own beans. I drink two cups in the morning....that's it. Expensive to me is more than $10 a pound. I am not particularly loyal to any brand or purveyor. I have a Keurig but routinely use a Mr. Coffee. I guess among serious coffee drinkers, to use an audio comparison, I am in the boom box stage.

So what would be a step up?

Edited by Tarheel
  • Like 8

I'm not a coffee expert by any means but I do enjoy a good cup of Joe. I generally have a 16oz mug every morning, 8oz. on the way to the gym at 6am, and the other 8oz. when I hit my desk around 8am. I probably drink more most weekend mornings.

I buy from my local home grown grocery called Bloomingfoods. Most of their coffees come from 3-4 local coffee bean makers and run $8.99-14.99 pound. My favorite right now is called Organic Love Buzz which is $10.99lb. I also buy whole beans and grind them right before I brew in the mornings. I recommend this if you are wanting to step your game up. To me grinding my own beans has been the single greatest increase in my coffee drinking experience I've ever experienced. I owned a Keurig for awhile, but it didn't brew as strong as I liked, although I admit I still enjoy the different flavors now and then when I visit my parents.

All in all, I'll drink a gas station Maxwell House if that's all there is, and be completely content.

• Like 6

Careful! I consider myself in the "my first stereo" stage and don't plan on getting worse---well, maybe might get a bur grinder. I grind my own before each batch with a basic whirly-gig grinder shaking at times for distribution for 15 seconds. I typically spend up to $12 for 3/4lbs, and use a Bunn coffee maker---it will brew a full pot in 3 minutes and definitely outperforms the slow drip kind. It also makes a quick pot of water for tea. Your upgrade would include the type of maker and grinding---simple.

• Like 5

Good Morning,

On my first cup now and plan on drinking another. It is a commercial type, Folgers and your coffee sounds nice. The Keurig is alright but brewing one cup at a time would keep 2 drinkers here a little busier. On our 3rd Mr. Coffee maker here in as many years. We are looking ourselves to a more fufilling experience, and interested to see what the others have said and are about to say.

Thanks

• Like 5

I use a coffee maker that grings the beans before brewing and eight o clock whole bean coffee, either the original or coloumbian.

Its good coffee and not too expensive. Sometimes i mix the original and coloumbian for something a little different but always stick with the brand.

As for cables i always used the better quality Radio Shack stuff but the company has strayed away from selling the products i have always used so now i get my stuff from Parts Express. Wired home speaker wire & i have a surplus of the RCA brand deluxe gold plated RCA cables they now have on closeout. The RCA's are actually constructed very well and i never had a problem with them or their speaker wire.

• Like 3

Eight O'clock.....use to grind that for folks when I was a bag boy at the A&P in the mid 60s. Always smelled wonderful.

I do have a small grinder and have recently ground (or is it grinded?) some Trader Joe's cheap beans.

Okay.....for you serious guys....I bet you drink yours black? No cream, sugar, artificial sweeteners? I neglected to say I use coconut cream and Stevia. That's got to go....right?

• Like 6

Eight O'clock.....use to grind that for folks when I was a bag boy at the A&P in the mid 60s. Always smelled wonderful.

I do have a small grinder and have recently ground (or is it grinded?) some Trader Joe's cheap beans.

Okay.....for you serious guys....I bet you drink yours black? No cream, sugar, artificial sweeteners? I neglected to say I use coconut cream and Stevia. That's got to go....right?

Yes i think it was A&P's house brand.

I remember saving their green stamps.

I need cream in my coffee or i get heartburn, it may just be too acidic for me i guess.

• Like 4

For 1-4 cups of excellent coffee, the Aero Press (see link) is great. Cheap, easy, and fast. Wish I'd invented it. For coffee brands, I'd recommend Peet's or LavAzza.

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPress-Coffee-Maker-Tote/dp/B0018RY8H0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391698586&sr=8-2&keywords=aero+press

I generally just get ground coffee and don't mess with grinding much. My nephew runs a coffee roasting business and he recommended the Hario hand grinder to me though.

http://gearpatrol.com/2013/02/25/grind-it-out-10-best-coffee-grinders/

• Like 3

The cheapest thing to do would be to keep your existing coffee maker buy a cheap burr grinder and find a local roaster to get fresh beans. Big step up in quality without a huge investment.

This man knows what he's talking about.

I have a Cuisinart burr grinder and love it. I'd never buy one, but I managed to get a $50 gift card to World Market a few years back and this thing just so happened to be $49.99. :D

• Like 3

Thanks for those links...may now be on a banana peel headed for that slippery slope. Yikes!

I may need a pot for tonight. The Olympics start and Jay Leno's last show. The lady friend (non coffee drinker) wants to see both on my TV and she is a night owl.....I am not. But what's a guy to do....right?

• Like 5