Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

2 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

If i’m the boy in your scenario -- definitely the Grandma and Aunts spoiling me. :D

In all seriousness though, the new parent’s way is the better option, and the way that i raised my kids. in some ways, getting adopted was the best thing that ever happened to me. 

I remember my granny doting all over me.  Those were some great days!  My mom wouldn't make me do chores, and she would cook meals and clean my laundry.  I worked hard, but it was work I wanted to do.  I had it easy.  Why I ever was in a hurry to grow up, I don't know.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I had a bunch of potted hibiscus, paradise lilies, philodendron, etc., which people started referring to as "Jeff's Jungle."  Then, one day, I moved to another place and left them out in the sun while I went to Houston for a week.  What was I thinking?  That was the end, and I never got back into it again after that.  Those flowers are just so cool to see blooming slowly over a handful of days.  The bumblebees and hummingbirds all buzzing around really accent the whole set-up.  Tree frogs, lizards, etc.  It's just cool how you can start small habitats like that.  

It is really a habit, never thought about it like that. I guess my dad started me with it and it stuck, ended up doing landscaping for over 20 years, kind of by accident, it was the most fun job I ever had.

We were growing tropical water lilies and breeding Japanese koi for ourselves and to sell. I quit my day job restaurant management because of terrible hours. A friend told us he knew someone who need lilies and Koi for his pond which went across the front of his huge house with a bridge to the front door. We brought him what he wanted and he asked if we could fix up the garden around the pond and make it look nice so we did. He was so happy we did his whole yard over that winter. He had a huge Christmas party, catered, live bands and plenty of people and we were invited. While there the caterer asked who did his landscaping so he introduced us and we ended up doing his house. He lived on the side of a developer and he liked what we did and asked if we wanted to do some of his subdivision entrance ways plus the model homes. 

Really quickly we realized if we want to do this we have to get legal, state test, insurance, all the normal stuff when it's not a hobby.  We never advertised, all we had was business cards and happy customers. We would just work and people would stop and talk with us about there house, my wife would go give them a price and come back to work. Before long we had a waiting list and working 6 days a week, they paid 50% down to get on the list and were given a list of jobs done and were told go knock on the door and ask if they were happy with the work. If they signed up they also got a list of houses we were doing before theirs and addresses if they wanted to see how long before we got to them. And to go look at everything, to see if there were things they liked or didn't like.

It took off and we had fun for over 20 years, then it all came to a halt with one hurricane. People were redoing houses and businesses and this took a very long time. Landscaping is low on the list of of priorities when you redoing your house and business while living in a trailer or out of town and the economy dropped off.

But it was fun while it lasted, it's fun to be given a space and you can create whatever look you like for the house and to match the way the people use it. Makes me miss it just thinking about it, if I was 20 years younger again.

• Like 3

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I remember my granny doting all over me.  Those were some great days!  My mom wouldn't make me do chores, and she would cook meals and clean my laundry.  I worked hard, but it was work I wanted to do.  I had it easy.  Why I ever was in a hurry to grow up, I don't know.  

Same here, my wife still teases me about how I could get away with anything with my mom.

I think like what Steve was saying between the two family's, a little of both is best but you do eventually need the discipline.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

i tried to get her a bowling ball once ... 16 pounder, too heavy for her so i would have to use it.  I tried to convince her that reactive resin was the appropriate fourth anniversary gift.  Not sure how she lasted 25 years before dumping me.

even though she dinna like ... you got her a nice ball.

I had been buying orchids [plants]for my wife's birthday. 5 or 6 years in, she tells me she doesn't like orchids.  So, I have orchids.    ... they bloom every year. and she sez ,"Meh"

I am a gardener, too. Used to know scientific names

tbh... I know a lot more about ag than electronics. I did work for Textron/BellAerospace for a bit. We were test digital communication tolerances.

I was the dummy on the end "I heard that"  [big shocker HaHaHa]

during that time, I discovered that it takes less than 4 seconds to have a daydream.

head count for storm "victims"

Everyone OK?

• Like 2

Good Saturday morning everyone................lots of talk about livers and drinks and silk flowers mistaking purchased :lol:...

Just thought I would share a photo of my new 'Blue Jeans' custom made interconnects (LC-1) ordered from that company, made in USA...   These feed the Dynaco MK3's  from the PAS-2 pre.   These are 12' each....    

Enjoy your morning everyone..........:emotion-21:DSCN9077.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Not much of a beer drinker nowadays, but back in the day.....the best bartenders I have ever seen were in Dublin, pouring dozens and dozens of Guinness, waiting for the perfect time for them to settle and then serve, along with mixed drinks, wine, etc, etc.  What a show.

I used to make B52s all the time back in the day.   If you can make one of those a black and tan shouldn't be too difficult. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tigerman said:

Good Saturday morning everyone................lots of talk about livers and drinks and silk flowers mistaking purchased :lol:...

Just thought I would share a photo of my new 'Blue Jeans' custom made interconnects (LC-1) ordered from that company, made in USA...   These feed the Dynaco MK3's  from the PAS-2 pre.   These are 12' each....    

Enjoy your morning everyone..........:emotion-21:DSCN9077.jpg

Nice Gary.   I use BJC frequently.   They never disappoint. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Nice Gary.   I use BJC frequently.   They never disappoint. 

Thank you Carl...............yes, outside of the molded finger grip, I am very pleased with them as well.....    Have a good morning sir :emotion-44:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I used to make B52s all the time back in the day.   If you can make one of those a black and tan shouldn't be too difficult. 

having flashbacks of pau hana drinks at the bowling alley on Kauai.  Good thing it was a two block walk/crawl home. There isn't a law against public intoxication. As long as you didn't get behind the wheel or cause a ruckus, life was good

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tigerman said:

Thank you Carl...............yes, outside of the molded finger grip, I am very pleased with them as well.....    Have a good morning sir :emotion-44:

You too.  Just about done with the first cup out of the Bunn.

20180303_073135.jpg

• Like 1

$1015 for thorough inspection, BMW synthetic oil, filter, adapter, windshield rubber and cowl.  $250 for a new key.  Only got one key from seller and the battery was dead:huh: $617 for tax, and tag transfer.  $75 for new floor mats from Amazon.

Not quite as bad as Mike's outlay......but still....ouch!

IMG_2234.JPG

• Like 3
  • Sad 1