Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Good evening friends..............heading out for dinner shortly, but wanted to add my 2 cents ...  

Coming from a Ford family since I can remember..........   Folks bought a '55 two toned (green/white) Fairlane (looked like a little Crown Vic)  Brand new '59 Galaxy 500 (black), traded for brand new '61 T'bird....white - turquois interior.  One of the early cars with a TRANSISTOR radio, and AC with centrally located stainless steel grill = every option.  I believe that was pretty BIG $$$ back in that year ($5400) ! 

Onto the '63 Falcon for dad, and a '65 Galaxy for mom, which had the 390, 4V carb. dual exhaust, dad said it still wasn't as quick as the T'bird however...  Later, a Pinto for dad mom a brand new '70 LTD Brougham, also a 390, but 2v.  I was able to take my lady friend out on a date in that one,  so nice 'cause it was new..     

Later, various GM products crept in....  Today at 86, dad owns his 1994 SHO and daily driver 2003 Merc. Grand Marquis...

Now that I am all grown up, I have enjoyed my 1997 SHO......off the road and in storage year round for car shows and cruise nights.   You don't see many of these any more, still has the OEM replacement tires only a couple of mods and 56k on the OD.

Our daily drivers = 2012 Escape and 2010 Merc. Mariner  (these things are surprisingly QUICK)

Sorry for the long one, but you guys got me going :)

For cables, still waiting for my DELAYED shipment of gold plated interconnects for the vintage system.....  And a replacement Rega Exact 2 cartridge for the RP-6............... :ohmy:

.......Gary

• Like 6

Evening gang

Cold Coffee w/dinner, man it's good.

Should have, would have, could have got something done today, but, did not. Rest.

Work around the homestead three days and take four days off, i like it.

7Pm and 77 degrees.

My first car was a Dune Buggy.

Edited by minermark
  • Like 8

I was slated to get dads 65 dart with the slant 6 when he hit a cow and overheated it on the way home, then my brother took the car without permission B-4 the oil was changed and seized the motor (a tough thing to do on a slant 6)

Good Sunday morning guys, Up with the sun  :mellow: , now for breakfast and the first cup :emotion-44:

• Like 3

Good morning gang...... Woke up to coffee already brewed, now time to get the breakfast going...

Car stories sound interesting.... Ah yes, the slant six... There were two sizes and GM had a slant 4 if I remember correctly..

First car for me was a 1963 Fairlane... During the early rock and roll days, I needed something to move all my gear. Onto a 1970 Ford Galaxy wagon... same motor as your truck Steve.. Then another well used wagon, the 1974 Country Squire Brougham ! Every option and the big pig of a motor, the 460 4v..... Smog days, no power really, but, it took all my gear including a FIVE tier keyboard stand I tied to the roof rack !! Well, later, we afforded a road crew and our own truck, so that was the end of carting stuff and I bought a new, small economy car that lasted me the next 12 years....

Hey, coffee smells great, so I will pour some straight away ;0)

• Like 4

Up way too early this morning. 

I diet through the week and make up for it on the weekends.  Yesterday 3 blueberry pancakes....today sausage gravy and biscuits with two eggs over medium.  Yum!

Looking for a new bicycle.....lots of choices.  Buy local and get good service or buy cheaper on line :mellow:

First car?  Triumph TR-3A.  A repurposed tractor engine redlined at 5000 rpm.  They even gave you a hand crank to start the car in emergencies.  No windows just side curtains.  Two SU carbs on an inline 4 cyl.  Classic lines but sluggish performance and poor handling :wacko:  

Cheers :emotion-44: Gents

• Like 6

Morning gang

Watching the morning news they say it hit 84 yesterday, i must have slept through that.

Belgian waffles later, that's the good news, bad news, out of the Duggans  :o 

The lawn has greened up, and that means Toro time....dam.

I see on the news, Train Vs car, AGAIN, what the hell is wrong with people??? 

Hell i slow down and look both ways before crossing ANY track(s).  

• Like 7

Happy Sunday, all. My first car was a used '67 Mustang. Sounds cool but it was junk. Replaced it with a VW Beetle which lasted many years.

Good day yesterday ... won an auction for an oppo bdp-95 which will be used mostly as a cdp upgrade in the 2 ch system. Out to dinner with a large group of friends and my better half last night. Looking at some bbq today with near record temps and sunshine. If I were a skier, I'd be heading for the slopes. Great spring skiing in Colorado.

Check back in a bit. Cheers!!

• Like 6

Happy Sunday folks.

Gary no unfortunately the contest was at a country western bar. Our side dish, baked beans with smoked brisket came in second. We don't know how or pulled pork did, other than it wasn't first place as we didn't win the smoker. I will post some pics over in the fine food and music. Now my buddy did bring his guitar and played some blues. All in all it was a good time. I'm just really tired now.

My first car was an 83 Pontiac Grand Prix. Black with t-tops. It wasn't fast but it would turn some heads.

Edited by duder1982
  • Like 7

Black with t-tops.

I did trim work for a Pontiac dealership at one time. If a Grand Prix or Firebird that had T-tops was on the drive in the morning, I knew I'd be working on water leaks that day.

Mine didn't leak that bad, one thing I learned was don't go through a car was [emoji33] .
  • Like 5

Hey guys, I love the bit of car talk....   You know, I was reading about today's cars and how they are sealed PURPOSELY to handle the high pressure 'touchless' car washes.   I know that NONE of my cars would have been able to survive that type of wash without some kind of 'blow through'...   Wingwindows were known for a poor seal.

However, my '97 SHO and the '12 Escape like most cars today have triple seals and nothing gets in, just amazing!

Currently in the studio, reviewing our 27 song (2 hour show) setlist coming up next week.   Half way through, then moving onto listening to something in the Music Hall...........LAST cup of Starbucks French Roast going down nicely, although it is only warm now.

Duder, thanks for the food/music report.  Great on taking home an award at least :emotion-21:

• Like 4

Hi C&C buds!  Coffee pot empty, but still have a leftover cup in the fridge from Friday...maybe an ice coffee in order.

My first driver was my Dad's Chevy Van 10 with only one side window on the slider door.  No wonder I had so many "one-and-done dates".  I was too naive at the time, but the girls parents probably said "your not going out with that punk with the van again"!  My first car was a 1965 Dodge Coronet with a straight six that was handed down to my Mom from a great Uncle & Aunt, then handed down to me.  Low mileage but dents in every door and panel.  Felt like a fish in a bowl with all those windows.  Don't remember who I sold that to, but my "Christine" car...the one that took all my time, money, away from sports, dozens of trips to the junk yard for bumpers, hoods, fenders, light rims, transmissions, rear-end differentials, you name it, was a 1970 Buick Skylark coupe that I converted into a Gran Sport.  Was able to get all the emblems, grill, etc... from the dealership, and a hood with scoops.  I wanted a 4-speed transmission so bad that I converted it from an automatic with the help of a mechanic and a lot of dough.  That was after 3 automatic transmissions.  Changed the medium brown bench seat and back seat with black velour seats from a Pontiac Grand Prix, and painted the interior black with vinyl spray paint.  Came out pretty good.  I never bolted down the inside bolts of the passenger bucket seat, so when I made sharp right had turns, it would tilt the seat towards the door...really freaked out the passenger.  That was my baby.  I knew every square inch of that car like the back of my hand.  I sold it for $1,700 to help get through my last year of college.  I would really regret it to this day, if it had been an authentic Buick GS, but it was a mutt.  Now driving a 1998 Honda Accord with about 235k miles and a 2002 Suburban, when needed.  Kind of preserved the mileage on it...only 95k.

Pulled the smoker out from a corner it was in during the winter.  Won't be long.  Duder has me inspired!  Have to get outside and be productive.  List of projects is endless.  Contemplating a Bloody Mary...Hmmmmm...

Edited by tnr
  • Like 6

However, my '97 SHO and the '12 Escape like most cars today have triple seals and nothing gets in, just amazing!

I had a 95 SHO which was the last year of the Yamaha motor.  That car would fly.  seemed like it would never run out of RPM's.

• Like 4

Great on the '95 SHO....  

There is still much of Yamaha going on with the little V8, (lots of their motorcycle technology there)  and sad to say, the tubular camshaft and pressed on lobes was NOT one of their best ideas :o  be it ALL aluminum as you probably know.   :emotion-21:   It is really a little race motor based on the little 2.5 v6 used in the Contour  SVT ...  and has six bolt mains !

Now, while I am going, and since you would understand.  The now out of production motor in my Escape is really an updated SHO engine from the 1st and 2nd gen.  SHO!   (I would LOVE to have this motor in my GEN 3)

That's right, 3.0 ltr.- quad cam, little water pump that sits on top of the engine driven by a cam shaft!  (electric power steering) Nice thing here, it makes 20 more HP. then those earlier SHO motors (240hp.) and coupled to a six speed auto... well, you get the idea...  I really believe my Escape (FrontWD) is quicker then my `97 sho, (both vehicles run about the same weight) but of course, the Escape shuts down at 103mph.  and the SHO has such long legs on top end for a tiny 235hp. engine :emotion-21:  

Ok,ok.............coffee you ask ?  Still finishing up (now cold) my last cup of the day........damn, I think I killed my appetite for dinner :wacko2: .....   Cables??  Hopefully, will be in tomorrow, then I can get some good cable quality onto my Pioneer Elite and Sony BD players...

.........Gary

• Like 3

Morning gang

Monday eh ? coffee is a tad on the weak side, but the good wife pointed this out to me before the first sip.

No Duggans on tap to help, WILL be taking care of that problem today.

Im watching CEC's Sub project, i like it, yeah like i need more bass in my life! my neighbor was specific on that subject :o

75+ for the week, even the Skeeters are having a hard time finding water.

post-57941-0-77540000-1426508196_thumb.j

Edited by minermark
  • Like 8