Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Imagine being Rodney, I'm absolutely sure that he busted his ***, all his life, and at the end of that, it all comes down to being able to do what we did for a few days, every day of your life.  I truly believe that he's a happy man, and I'm sure he could be driving the "look what I drive" cars, "look at my magnificent home", "do you see the label on my clothes" but he's one of the real ones, and that's what I appreciated about him most.  I'm sure that there was a wide range of income and "status" participants at the gathering, but there was a common thread which was very refreshing, hell, there were even a few liberals that I liked. ;)

• Like 5

Good evening my friends.

First off, thanks guys for the concern over my chimney and driveway issue..... it will happen over the next couple of years...

I just read through the posts back a couple pages.   

HA!  :lol: soon as I saw that little tire, I KNEW it would start again............MKP'  fault, but I still laughed my arse off when I saw the 'leaf' comment............HERE WE GO  :D

Edited by Tigerman
  • Like 4

Happy flooding Friday to all.  I was doing about 50 mph in the 75 zone this morning as it was raining so hard.  Such is south east Texas.  I hope the rest of you are high and dry and have a great day leading up to the 3 day weekend.

• Like 3

We can't keep up with SE TX with rain, thankfully, but since arriving home from Hope on Sunday I have had 7 inches in the rain gauge in W KC. Emptied it full at 5 in. last night and 2 additional overnight. Might dry out a bit early and more later tonight. Just maybe a dryer weekend? Kinda soggy 'round these parts.

• Like 3

And thank you Luther for the treat you brought from Smittys.  They were incredible.

I will second that! Those were truly fabulous!

I'm glad everyone like the sausages. It helped that I could cook them low and slow on Rodney's wood burning smoker. If you're ever in Austin, you have to make the trip over to Lockhart and try Smitty's brisket. It's even better than their sausage.

I just love those pictures of the smokers that Smitty's Market and Kreuz Market use.  

I was in Austin, TX for a couple of days back in the late 1990's and people were telling me to visit the Iron Works BBQ and Salt Lick BBQ.  I'm curious if you have tried the following and have an order of preference?

Smitty's Market

Kreuz Market

Black's BBQ

Iron Works

Salt Lick

_ Smiitys-Texas-BBQ1.jpg

_ Kreuz Market-MeatsInPit-2.jpg

post-36163-0-93440000-1464361916_thumb.j

post-36163-0-48160000-1464361926_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 6

I'm getting ready for a huge weekend. There's a huge buzz around here for the Indy 500. I'm gathering things for a big cookout tomorrow….steaks burgers, chicken, brats, ribs. My wife is taking care of everything else, my job is to get all the grill stuff cooked. 

Sunday I'll be at the race, along with 350k other people :D It's actually the first time they've ever called it a sellout. Years ago they would just completely fill in the infield. At one time there were 425k permanent seats, and 200k in the infield, so basically the whole city of Indianapolis was at that track.

I will recuperate Sunday!

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

• Like 5

I just love those pictures of the smokers that Smitty's Market and Kreuz Market use.  

I was in Austin, TX for a couple of days back in the late 1990's and people were telling me to visit the Iron Works BBQ and Salt Lick BBQ.  I'm curious if you have tried the following and have an order of preference?

Smitty's Market

Kreuz Market

Black's BBQ

Iron Works

Salt Lick

Smitty's is my favorite. Next would be the Salt Lick, followed by Blacks. I have not eaten at Kreuz or Iron Works.

• Like 4

Morning my friends...... and a happy Friday to all.....

Yup the long weekend is here for sure.....yes The BOSS has the shop closed Monday....there are some shops open....

My old shop helper is having a party at his house Sunday and he wants me to bring some Klipsch. I'll be hooking up some KP's and giving them some Carver power....should be fun...

Well we got a few jobs in the shop today....kind of a laid back day....we have been jamin most of the morning....

We have a little issue at the shop. It's been going on for the last few weeks. There is a hole in the outside wall of the shop. Every year little birds make there nest in it. For the last 17 years it's been little sparrows and they are really not a problem. One year I came in the shop and there were baby birds in the bay. They fell through the other side of the hole. They could just fly. So I put on some rubber gloves and caught them. I was able to stick them back in the hole out front. Mom bird was not real happy but eveything worked "OK"... and yea I blocked off the hole that led to the shop.

Anyway..... this year some Black Starlings have taken the hole over.... These birds make a real mess... There is a huge pile of crapp out side of the bay... I was thinking how in the he!! is this pile getting there. Earler this week I was out side the bay looking at the hole and pile of crapp. I could hear them in the hole. As I was looking up one of the baby Starlings stuck there a** out of the hole and squirted out crapp. Man it was nasty...

Now I can't kill em....cuz that's just not me.....but once they fly out of that hole I will be filling it in. I will not have this mess happen again...

A happy Friday to all.....

MKP :-)

post-58704-0-52000000-1464363891_thumb.j

post-58704-0-04520000-1464363905_thumb.j

post-58704-0-25960000-1464363927_thumb.j

• Like 4

Ceptor maybe you can add to this, I heard on a local KC sports show that since this year the race is an official "sellout" it will be the first time in decades the race is televised live in Indy and being so long ago the first time ever to be televised live and in Color in Indy.

Is this true? If so what an odd tidbit.

• Like 3

Ceptor maybe you can add to this, I heard on a local KC sports show that since this year the race is an official "sellout" it will be the first time in decades the race is televised live in Indy and being so long ago the first time ever to be televised live and in Color in Indy.

Is this true? If so what an odd tidbit.

It will be televised, first time in 66 years. I wasn't around then, but I don't think color TVs were around in 1950. 

The Speedway sold all of the permanent seat tickets about a month ago, and was selling infield general admission tickets until last week. There are grass seating areas, but with all the family friendly activity areas they've added, there isn't as much area for people to go to. They said they could've sold another 30-50k walk-in tickets, but didn't want to overcrowd the people.

I think it's ironic that the Speedway never published how many seats were there, or how many people went to the races. When Nascar showed up, they counted all the seats, they're all about marketing and studies, then it was known that there was 425k permanent seats.

• Like 3

My brother goes to the 500 each year and has done so for decades.  He reports that grandstands have been removed each year for the last several years.  Apparently, having empty seats showing on TV was unacceptable.

• Like 3

My brother goes to the 500 each year and has done so for decades.  He reports that grandstands have been removed each year for the last several years.  Apparently, having empty seats showing on TV was unacceptable.

All the grandstand seats (150k of them) were removed to help turn the oval into a road course, for Formula 1 and MotoGP (bikes)

They spent 90 million for that first F1 race in 2000. There were 225k people, the largest crowd at an F1 race ever, they ran 9 F1 races there.

They have 64 suites, but don't count those seats as permanent. 

The crowds were as low as 125k from around 2005 to 2010, but gradually increasing each year. last year's crowd was around 260k. 

They have never removed seats just to show less of a crowd. They have eliminated ticket sales for complete stands, then they installed huge multi colored  banners over the vacant stands to show some kind of covering. And I've noticed the film crews would intentionally not show all the empty seats. The place is huge. When there's 250k seats, and only 125k people there, the place looks vacant.

The Speedway just finished another 90 million dollar renovation to the front outside grandstands. New seats, restrooms, larger handicapped viewing ares, better concessions with waitresses in the high dollar sections, new huge TV screens.

• Like 4

For the half dozen F1 races we attended never once did we sit in our assigned ticket package. Found our way into the into the infield and picked a grass berm where you could view several corners. Other than Top Fuel cars there is, was, nothing more spine tingling than the sound of F1 machines at 19K RPM and you are but 20 or 30 yards away from the track. By far the best viewing in the house, IMO.

• Like 4

• Moderators
hell, there were even a few liberals that I liked.

Ok now your starting to talk like a crazy man. :lol: 

Rodney had a great time, he was really tired but loved it. We were sitting there Sunday night and except for 3-4 people talking and the radio was playing low I asked him it's hard to believe there were somewhere between 100-140 people here yesterday.     He looked around and just smiled, he was happy everyone had a good time. 

• Like 5