Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

12 minutes ago, rplace said:

And you say you have a BBX? So do I, its pretty tough to beat IMO. I know over the years there was a falling out with Mark and most of the community here. Still it is a pretty sweet sounding Pre. Anything you don't like about the BBX or is it just time to change things up and scratch that New/Different/Upgrade/Sideways-grade itch. I totally get it. I'm never quite sure if it is the actual music or the quest for the perfect sound. I find in other hobbies like beer brewing I'm the same way. I've brewed for 20+ years but don't think my brewing system has stayed the same for 5 consecutive batches.

I had one and sold it.  Didn't have any complaints but I didn't need to have two preamps.  The phono stage was just a bit better in the BBX and I could get more money for it.  We have the same question regarding music/gear.  I guess after all these years I'm comfortable saying the source (tape, CD, LP) is the most important component followed by the speaker.  Upstream from that is less important imo.  But it all keeps us searching/shopping.

I'm hoping Roy can do something special with the 20 year old QS and get it up to snuff. 

• Like 3

Let me see if I've got this right

In order to achieve proper serum caffeine levels the following protocols should be observed:

-Beans to be grown in the mountains of Central or South America.

-Arabica beans only, no Robusto.

-Said beans to be picked by Juan Valdez, accept no substitutes.

-Beans to be vetted by el Exigente, sun dried and fermented.

-Roasted and vacuum packed near to the point of use.

-Ground milliseconds before use inna mill with tungsten carbide burrs (titanium nitride acceptable in a pinch)

-Tamped into the brew basket with 30 PSI pressure (RonCo Tamp-O-Matic)

-Brewed using pressures between 8.2 and 9 atmospheres.

I have just one question:

Does the DynaMat go on the boiler, the brew basket or the cup?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JBCODD said:

In order to achieve proper serum caffeine levels the following protocols should be observed:

-Ground milliseconds before use inna mill with tungsten carbide burrs (titanium nitride acceptable in a pinch)

You forgot the barista grade power cords for your grinder and espresso machines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You forgot the barista grade power cords for your grinder and espresso machines.

True, but I did recently re-cap my Fluke 700G Precision Pressure Gauge Calibrator, so now I can measure brewing pressure to +/- 0.01 psi. (metric equivalent: 7.62 x 10 E-12 Newtons/hectare)

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, JBCODD said:

Pretty close, ceramic burrs on the grinder.

• Like 3

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, billybob said:

Long day so far. Chauffering LF to Tally for a regular appt. Going for my 3rd cupper...Mike:blush2:

Ok I have to say something here, Florida drivers are crazy, and the further South you go the worse the drivers get. 

Had the last 2 weeks to see it in person, I'm surprised more Nascar drivers are not from your state. Three lanes, the right is someone going 45 mph, were in the center at 75 and people are blowing by us in the fast lane. This is not even counting the ones who love to weave between all three at high speeds. It took a while to get use to. :mellow: 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, dtel said:

Ok I have to say something here, Florida drivers are crazy, and the further South you go the worse the drivers get. 

Had the last 2 weeks to see it in person, I'm surprised more Nascar drivers are not from your state. Three lanes, the right is someone going 45 mph, were in the center at 75 and people are blowing by us in the fast lane. This is not even counting the ones who love to weave between all three at high speeds. It took a while to get use to. :mellow: 

Agree!!!

I spent the 9-13th of November in Miami. I thought Philly/Baltimore/DC on 95 was bad. Not even a contest. Batsh!t crazy, Miami is. I'm all for fast, even a tad of road rage thrown in form time to time. But those Miami drivers are just plain not paying attention to anything within a 500 yard radius beyond their phones/makeup/40 Ozers. I did see a pretty cool DB-9 out and about in South Beach.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, rplace said:

Pretty close, ceramic burrs on the grinder.

Only if formulated to superconduct at near room temperatures. If a cryogenic pump is needed to achieve process temps, the aromatics in the beans may crystallize and degrade. And at those process pressures (single digit micro-torr; +/- .003 Newton/hectares), outgassing is sure to occur, diminishing the final product.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dtel said:

OK Dirtmudd. I think know you set a record with that post. :o

In one post you had 13 quotes of yourself, Plus 36 quotes by others and all of that without one new word typed. :o:mellow::D

New coffee shipment, started buying by the ton ? :)

You  don't need to do it again, this record will probably stand forever, it's yours to keep. 

Max quotes is 50... Take it up with billybob he ask the question....

I just aided him... With the information.....

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, dtel said:

Most of the drivers in Florida don't actually live in Florida.  They have no idea where they're going.  When I lived in Daytona, I'd try to stay off the roads during race week.  It's nuts.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, babadono said:

Then what fart and leave?:)

That or "Baffle them with b.s."

https://press.princeton.edu/titles/7929.html

Endorsements

"A gem of psychological insight, social commentary, philosophical analysis, and good humor. This is the work of an extraordinarily acute, attentive, and versatile philosopher who has succeeded in addressing an audience comprised of both other philosophers and the general public on a topic of considerable human interest in a characteristically wry and engaging way. It is one of the most enjoyable and humanly illuminating short pieces of philosophy produced in the past fifty years."--Raymond Geuss, University of Cambridge
  • Like 3