Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

25 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Awesome photo Neil. A lot of people complain about the winter weather...it's cold, icy, damp, hate shoveling snow. Many southern people say they don't know how northern people handle it. But how could one look at that photo and not like it? It's so serene, and calming. I like the change of weather. Sometimes it hide some ugliness.

I guess it's similar to me visiting my FIL in southern Texas and walking out the door at 7am and it feels like I'm walking into an oven. 

You’ve hit the nail on the head.  The beauty of winter, IMO, more than outweighs the oppressive heat of summers in the south.

Years ago, I was in Palm Beach at the Breakers on business.  At 8am in early June, I took a newspaper outside, thinking I’d sit on a bench near the beach and read the paper.  It took only seconds to realize that plan was a mistake.  After scurrying back to air conditioned comfort, I could only imagine how awful it must be at noon in August.

In Michigan, you can dress for cold weather.  In hot climates, once you’re naked and still sweating, there’s nothing more to be done to enjoy outdoor activity.  Give me four seasons any time. YMMV

• Like 4

Regarding the controversy between the “dry heat” of places like Arizona and the high humidity heat of places like coastal Maryland, they’re both bad, but dry heat is more tolerable.

My younger brother graduated from USNA in Annapolis.  Plebe summers in August are an experience you want to avoid.  Each year kids from hot dry climates would boast about the 100+ degree temps they could endure.  When the mercury hit 90 and the humidity was also at 90 in Annapolis, the dry heat braggers were the first to be dropping like flies.

• Like 4

try to catch up

internet was down

I enjoyed winter as a kid. As an adult, it was less fun.  It is pretty when it's like that. 

Last time I was up there, my BIL found me out on the lake in the canoe, in the snow ... fishing. Bluegill were biting.

They bs'ing you when they tell you 100`+ doesn't hurt. It ain't even nice on a bike. Gets like a blast furnace. You stop every 20 min to drink. ... a white crust grows on ya.  Fun? That would be June. I have a kiddie pool for the kid ... ha kid. I lay in it ..

does the word siesta mean anything?  a concept I fully embrace

The rains start in July and you see the locals drowning in it, looking up at the sky.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

It's like riding against a hair dryer.  You can't ride fast enough to cool off.  

I had never thought it would be like that.  then again, I've never been a bike owner so I can't really say.

I will take your word for it tho.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rplace said:

Don't even need the vinyl for my project. I've been looking for a beat to crap copy with decent cover that I can just pitch the LP or devise another project with the labels but nothing popping up near me. $1 bin with $4 bucks shipping would be perfect. Wishful thinking I'm sure. The last copy I bought locally was $4. It was the PE41388 no the JE41388, which is the 2nd pressing in either '76 or '77. Another like that would be great if the cover was decent. Unfortunately mine is not. Please keep eyes peeled if you are out on the hunt in used shops. 

you looked into local resources?  Goodwill, white elephant sales ...

I was getting 78's for $1ea

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Many southern people say they don't know how northern people handle it. But how could one look at that photo and not like it?

Easily.  I see that picture and think, "Looks pretty as a picture, but being there has to suck." 

Today, we will have some blue skies mixed with some clouds and a high of 76 degrees.  That's what I'm talking about. ;)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

try to catch up

internet was down

I enjoyed winter as a kid. As an adult, it was less fun.  It is pretty when it's like that. 

Last time I was up there, my BIL found me out on the lake in the canoe, in the snow ... fishing. Bluegill were biting.

They bs'ing you when they tell you 100`+ doesn't hurt. It ain't even nice on a bike. Gets like a blast furnace. You stop every 20 min to drink. ... a white crust grows on ya.  Fun? That would be June. I have a kiddie pool for the kid ... ha kid. I lay in it ..

does the word siesta mean anything?  a concept I fully embrace

The rains start in July and you see the locals drowning in it, looking up at the sky.

Yeah, you guys probably get very little rain.  100 degrees is hot, but it's a lot more palatable when you get regular rain.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WillyBob said:

June is dry . Our "monsoon" runs early July thru Sept. It gets 95`. Rains. Spends the rest of the day trying to recover from it dropping to 65` during the rain. It's very nice, except for June. 

too much sun and warm.

I like those periods where you get a small, daily dose of rain kind of early.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WillyBob said:

mid afternoon. Just when it starts to feel warm/ish

Years ago, I was in Western Maui (Lahaina), and it would rain daily for about 25 - 45 minutes sometime between 11:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.  Then, the skies would clear.  That's what I like the best.  Mid-afternoon would be pretty good, too.