Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

4 hours ago, CWelsh said:

I'm curious...there is a Dutch version of sauerbratten that I've eaten before. I wonder if your mom's meatloaf had that kind of flavor? It's been more than 50 years since I've eaten the Dutch dish, but I remember loving it.

German Sauerbraten

sauerbraten.thumb.png.0a656ac6f82899f96b62c0d9d4b78201.png

Ingredients for 6 people

3 onions  
    1 bunch of greens  
    1 l dry red wine  
    250 ml red wine vinegar  
    2 bay leaves  
    3-4 cloves  
    5 juniper berries  
    1 teaspoon peppercorns  
    4 allspice grains  
    2 kg braised beef  
        salt  
    3 tbsp. oil  
        pepper  
    2 tablespoons tomato paste  
    2 small apples  
    2 tablespoons butter  
    1 glass (720 ml) red cabbage  
    100 ml apple juice  
    4-5 tsp currant jelly  
        sugar  
    1 package (750 g) potato dough for dumplings half and half (refrigerated)
    5 stalk(s) of parsley  
    100 g pumpernickel  
    60 g raisins or raisins  
        Parsley for garnish

2 Peel and coarsely dice onions. Clean, wash and peel soup vegetables, coarsely dice. For the marinade, mix red wine, vinegar, bay leaves, cloves, juniper berries, peppercorns and allspice, bring to a boil and add the soup vegetables. Wash the meat. Place meat and marinade with vegetables in a large freezer bag. Seal tightly so that meat is floating in marinade, or completely covered. Place in a bowl. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 2 days, turning the bag several times during this time.

2. Lift roast out of marinade. Pour marinade through a sieve, reserving liquid. Pat roast dry with paper towels and rub with salt. Heat oil in a large roasting pan, sear meat thoroughly on all sides, lift out. Add drained vegetables to drippings and sauté vigorously, turning. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomato paste and sauté briefly. Put the meat back in. Deglaze with marinade, bring to a boil. Cover and simmer at moderate heat for approx. 3 hours.

3. Peel, quarter, core and chop apples. Peel and dice 1 onion. Heat butter in a pot, add onion and apples and sauté until translucent. Add cabbage and apple juice, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in jelly, season with salt, pepper and possibly a little sugar. Keep warm in the closed pot

4.Knead dumpling mixture in a bowl, form about 8 dumplings. Cook in boiling salted water for about 25 minutes. Wash parsley, pat dry, pluck leaves and chop. Crumble pumpernickel. Rinse raisins. Remove roast from oven, lift out of broth and keep warm. Pour broth through a sieve, reserving broth. Return to roasting pan, add raisins and pumpernickel, bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Season sauce to taste. Slice meat, add to sauce. Lift dumplings out of water and drain. Arrange meat on a platter. Add dumplings and red cabbage. Sprinkle with parsley and garnish.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

German Sauerbraten

sauerbraten.thumb.png.0a656ac6f82899f96b62c0d9d4b78201.png

Ingredients for 6 people

3 onions  
    1 bunch of greens  
    1 l dry red wine  
    250 ml red wine vinegar  
    2 bay leaves  
    3-4 cloves  
    5 juniper berries  
    1 teaspoon peppercorns  
    4 allspice grains  
    2 kg braised beef  
        salt  
    3 tbsp. oil  
        pepper  
    2 tablespoons tomato paste  
    2 small apples  
    2 tablespoons butter  
    1 glass (720 ml) red cabbage  
    100 ml apple juice  
    4-5 tsp currant jelly  
        sugar  
    1 package (750 g) potato dough for dumplings half and half (refrigerated)
    5 stalk(s) of parsley  
    100 g pumpernickel  
    60 g raisins or raisins  
        Parsley for garnish

2 Peel and coarsely dice onions. Clean, wash and peel soup vegetables, coarsely dice. For the marinade, mix red wine, vinegar, bay leaves, cloves, juniper berries, peppercorns and allspice, bring to a boil and add the soup vegetables. Wash the meat. Place meat and marinade with vegetables in a large freezer bag. Seal tightly so that meat is floating in marinade, or completely covered. Place in a bowl. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 2 days, turning the bag several times during this time.

2. Lift roast out of marinade. Pour marinade through a sieve, reserving liquid. Pat roast dry with paper towels and rub with salt. Heat oil in a large roasting pan, sear meat thoroughly on all sides, lift out. Add drained vegetables to drippings and sauté vigorously, turning. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomato paste and sauté briefly. Put the meat back in. Deglaze with marinade, bring to a boil. Cover and simmer at moderate heat for approx. 3 hours.

3. Peel, quarter, core and chop apples. Peel and dice 1 onion. Heat butter in a pot, add onion and apples and sauté until translucent. Add cabbage and apple juice, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in jelly, season with salt, pepper and possibly a little sugar. Keep warm in the closed pot

4.Knead dumpling mixture in a bowl, form about 8 dumplings. Cook in boiling salted water for about 25 minutes. Wash parsley, pat dry, pluck leaves and chop. Crumble pumpernickel. Rinse raisins. Remove roast from oven, lift out of broth and keep warm. Pour broth through a sieve, reserving broth. Return to roasting pan, add raisins and pumpernickel, bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Season sauce to taste. Slice meat, add to sauce. Lift dumplings out of water and drain. Arrange meat on a platter. Add dumplings and red cabbage. Sprinkle with parsley and garnish.

You're making me hungry! Man, does that look and sound good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 001 said:

Depp wins

Not sure he won anything. Having your private life aired out publicly is no way to win anything. Although were I on that jury the moment it came out she crapped on the bed would be the end for her chances. Man...I thought I had a few crazies for girlfriends.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

we don't want to hear about one of mine... exciting yes... but, one cannot live on adrenaline for any length of time... I have some stories

We had a couple guests this AM. I was drinking my mud... the gold mesh filter... wife tellls me to get the camera.  Mind you, we live in "town"... The cats alerted her to... 2 deer in the yard. Drinking from a tub of water and browsing on the jujube trees. I managed to get a pic. 

DSCF1247.JPG

• Like 4

I had a steak sandwich for dinner.... I had steak for breakfast [yesterday] too.

as the temps are appeoaching 100`, I felt compelled to move the #50 box of old Nat Geos, that is under my desk and, blocking the outlet so I could plug the little A/C in.....

So, I sat my skinny butt on the floor and tugged and pulled that #50 box of old NatGeos away from the outlet to find that the A/C was already plugged in....I could go on further.. but it would all censored

• Haha 3

You need my 9 year old grandson Bill.  I call him my "wire rat."  Sent him down and back under my butcher block to plug everything in to a small power strip.  Told him I'd give him $5 for plugging everything in.  He get's done and want's his money BUT the price was now $10 according to him.  I said "why $10."  He said, cause you forgot to add in the tax.  :)

I've got a power conditioner sitting on the floor now, so before he went on vacay I cut him a deal.  $20 for the entire new wire job including ALL taxes.  He said OK.  Would prolly be cheaper to get my old butt down there and do it myself.  I KNOW it's gonna cost me more than that 20!  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3