Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Survived another festival.  It's in the books and pretty much a hoot  Downtown on the streets, which were packed, people were getting tired of paying crazy prices.  10$ for a cup of slimey fries, 8 and 9$ for a brat and the rest of it was just as bad.

Soooo, they packed every club like the Moose, Elks, Legion, 2 Amvets posts, the big bar on the square, which has pizza & dining, and several other places.  They ALL had bands and the boys playin owned 'em all.  They also had food at normal prices!  :)

Saw a kid I've known forever playing a B-3 w/a Leslie and just slayin it in his group.  The funny thing about it was I'd saddled that high-school kid up 20 years ago and told him he sucked.  Hey, he was hangin w/my buddies kids and asked me so there's that.  😂

Last year, I asked him if he remembered me telling that and he said yup.  Told him just how much he'd improved over the years and to get to work.  He said he despised me for telling him that and his goal was to show me just how good he could be. 

Last nite I had the pleasure of tippin my hat to him.  Got a a big grin and a double heart pump even a pointed finger back.  NOT the middle finger either.  We were both laffin but I knew he could.

A great friend of mine passed about 2 months ago and he told his wife to give Andy that B-3.  I knew it was gonna happen cause Bob told me he was gonna do it.  Lil Andy went thru that entire organ and totally slammed it.  The torch has been passed and I loved it. :)

The ONLY other thing that jumped out was the fact there were 6 gorgeous fems I'd never seen before hammerin jello shots.  They had a picnic table full of 150 jello shots @ 2$ each.  You do the math.    @Invidiosulus I watched for a bit but didn't see a dog.  No sarongs either @grasshopper   😂

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Dave1291 said:

Survived another festival.  It's in the books and pretty much a hoot  Downtown on the streets, which were packed, people were getting tired of paying crazy prices.  10$ for a cup of slimey fries, 8 and 9$ for a brat and the rest of it was just as bad.

Soooo, they packed every club like the Moose, Elks, Legion, 2 Amvets posts, the big bar on the square, which has pizza & dining, and several other places.  They ALL had bands and the boys playin owned 'em all.  They also had food at normal prices!  :)

Saw a kid I've known forever playing a B-3 w/a Leslie and just slayin it in his group.  The funny thing about it was I'd saddled that high-school kid up 20 years ago and told him he sucked.  Hey, he was hangin w/my buddies kids and asked me so there's that.  😂

Last year, I asked him if he remembered me telling that and he said yup.  Told him just how much he'd improved over the years and to get to work.  He said he despised me for telling him that and his goal was to show me just how good he could be. 

Last nite I had the pleasure of tippin my hat to him.  Got a a big grin and a double heart pump even a pointed finger back.  NOT the middle finger either.  We were both laffin but I knew he could.

A great friend of mine passed about 2 months ago and he told his wife to give Andy that B-3.  I knew it was gonna happen cause Bob told me he was gonna do it.  Lil Andy went thru that entire organ and totally slammed it.  The torch has been passed and I loved it. :)

The ONLY other thing that jumped out was the fact there were 6 gorgeous fems I'd never seen before hammerin jello shots.  They had a picnic table full of 150 jello shots @ 2$ each.  You do the math.    @Invidiosulus I watched for a bit but didn't see a dog.  No sarongs either @grasshopper   😂

I haven’t been out in the evening for a couple weeks and no sign of Hopper or Grace at the coffee shop on my lunch break trips downtown.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

All the talk of the bratwurst fest reminds me of the Wiener and Kraut day in Waterloo WI as a kid.

Looks like the next one is next month on the 9th.

The view of the intersection downtown via google maps certainly brings back some memories.

IMG_1220.thumb.png.f294a947ab1469158dbdef81f9416ac2.png
They would sell cake and pie out of the pavilion on the left and by the late afternoon half of them would be full of yellow jackets trying to drown themselves in the sugar of the icing.

The shop on the corner with the conical roof was a gift shop and sold those cat clocks with the eyes and tail that worked as the pendulum.

We spent the most time in town at the library which was in the stone building behind the pavilion but they have built a new larger one a little further out of downtown.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2023 at 10:31 AM, MicroMara said:

Well beeing in a hospital isn´t that exciting ,not many entertainment choices here,  it´s not a theme parc , a dancing tabel bar or a night club ? Am I right ? 😂

What, no dancing nurses? That's why it's important to always pay for the deluxe health coverage!

Hope you feel much better soon.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

They'll be here by next weekend.  Will be alllll over town scrounging.  

Have you thought of setting out a dish of sugar water for the yellowjackets?  One time on a midday motorbike ride with some friends, we stopped for lunch at a patio restaurant near the roadside, and a single yellowjacket came cruising around.  I wet the tip of my first finger in my water glass, spilled a tiny bit of sugar onto my plate and dipped my finger in it.  Then I held up my finger and she flew right to it (if they're anything like bees, all the workers are females), landed, and started drinking the resulting sugar water on my fingertip.  I wasn't nervous at all.

She was happy with that drinkable sugar and stayed away from our food, so it seems to me that a saucer or a jar lid with a very very thin level of water (literally knee deep or less, so they can land, walk around and drink, and then fly away when they've had enough), with some sugar added could keep the critters happy and away from your food.  And they might tell their friends that the big Two-Legs are okay.

I get along with a few harmless insects.  At a barbecue dinner in my dad's back yard years ago, a praying mantis found its way onto the table near me.  Since they're carnivorous, I tore off a tiny piece of meat and handed it to the mantis, or maybe I just set it down in front of it, I don't quite remember.  I wasn't a kid, I was around 40 at the time.

Anyway, it was amusing, to me at least, to see the mantis pick up the speck of meat and start eating it.  I picked a piece with no sauce on it, to keep things simple.

That's about my limit for cooperating with insects, but it provides some tiny entertainment, and it's cool to do a critter a favour.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Islander said:

What, no dancing nurses? That's why it's important to always pay for the deluxe health coverage!

Every time I've had a colonoscopy. EVERY nurse on duty has been an attractive young woman in tight scrubs... "HI, my name is... I'm going to just ..."

Why is that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Bee story?  Wanna talk nuts?  You're gonna think I'm certified, bona-fied nuts on this one.

Long story short. Mid 70's one fell into my Pepsi can and I didn't know it.  KNEW I drank something but bleh.  A bit later I felt something crawling up my throat, then my chest got warm so I laid down on the couch w/my mouth open wanting whatever it was to fly out.  It didn't, crawlled right up and would fall back down when I swallowed all the saliva.

So it's off to the ER when my chest got hot.  Saw the Doc so he scoped my throat and said it was red and swollen, go get some peanut butter crackers outta the machine, eat 'em and they'll knock it back down into my stomach so the acid would kill it. Then hang out and see.  Logical right?

Nope, didn't work.   So there I sat with my mouth open, paper towels stuffed on either side of my mouth to pick up the saliva so I didn't swallow.  Then some woman brought her preggo daughter in thinking she was having her baby so she was waiting w/me.  Then it happened.  She said OMG this big yellow jacket just flew outta your mouth.  Yup, around my head and gone.  Heard it.

NATURALLY, the word got out in Duckburg somehow.  lol  Had one guy laffin so hard asking me about it he was crying.  Wanted to know how it felt.  Seriously?  I told him to spend a couple hours w/his mouth open stuffed with paper towels folded up tucked in his cheeks KNOWING something was crawling up your throat and wait for it.

Doc's dead but I'm sure he told the guys @ the local newspaper store.  I'd see him about every morning when I stopped in to pick up the WSJ.  It sure was tender swallowing for the next couple days but it happened.  Yea, I know "ur nuts" but it happened. 

@Islander that's a HARD pass on the bees tyvm.  :)

Disclaimer: The story you just heard is absolutely true and I was straight as an arrow when it happened!   😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ok, yea I'm nuts and w/o a photo it didn't happen but I took it to the next level.  Just got off the phone w/the woman in Medical Records @ the Duckburg hospital.  Told her the story and she was rollin cause she knew the Doc.  So there, just for you guys I "re-opened" the can of worms.  The down side?  They only hold records for 10 years.  It happened though!  lolol  Gave it the old college try.  :)

• Haha 3

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Long story short. Mid 70's one fell into my Pepsi can and I didn't know it.

Came close to doing the same just never swallowed one. Many years ago when we would go camping if you left a soft drink, any kind that was sweet sitting on a picnic table bees would climb into the can. I guess they were going after the sugar, came close to that many times, just got lucky to not swallow one which apparently is not good at all.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, codewritinfool said:

EVERY nurse on duty has been an attractive young woman in tight scrubs... "HI, my name is... I'm going to just ..."

This one's for you Marvel.  I don't know how big the place is where you get your scope done but one day prior to a heart procedure I asked a SMILING young nurse carrying an arm load of the scopes into the room where they did my TEE.

Here's the definition of a TEE from John's Hopkins I pulled up.  :)

"A traditional echocardiogram is done by putting the transducer on the surface of the chest. This is called a transthoracic echocardiogram. A transesophageal echocardiogram is done by inserting a probe with a transducer down the esophagus. This provides a clearer image of the heart because the sound waves do not have to pass through skin, muscle, or bone tissue. The TEE probe is much closer to the heart since the esophagus and heart are right next to each other."

SO, I asked THE question. "Looks like a lot of money in your arms just to do this procedure."  Her reply was we also use them for colonscopes.  NOW ya KNOW why they're always smiling.  :)

Go ahead and ask next time and prove me wrong.  Now maybe it was a joke and maybe it wasn't but I'm sure glad they put the freeze on my throat before I swallowed  that thing.  Clean?  Of course they are.  Lawdy that's a thought that's NEVER left me!   😂   💪

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, codewritinfool said:

Every time?  You scheduling recurring visits?

At 50, 60, 70...

I won't say much about the nurse who took out my catheter last summer other than she was big and had tatoos..tattoos...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3