Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

2 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

Finally in the 20’s here. I’m ready for spring. 

We had a week of cold/wet ... 50's and moist

... and I'm with the others, whining about when winter will end, already...

It's been in the low 70's this week. Next week ... no. 55` - 60` and damp

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

That's a heat wave !

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, grasshopper said:

It was 12 below zero here today and YOU’RE wondering when winter will end??  😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Not as far north as youse guys but...

It went up to 23 today.

East side of my roof plus lots of my woods and rocks still can't be seen from Monday's snow... so more is coming.

16 now and only 10:30 pm it's like this when you move to the Blue Ridge in December.

• Like 3

I'm just waitin on a plumber.  Time to dump some bottled water in the coffee maker.  Day 4.  Welcome to Duckburg where you have two options.  100$ and hour or 20$ an hour from a friend.  I selected option 2 on the menu.  

Kid Boy GIF - Kid Boy Bored GIFs     Ammz GIF - Ammz GIFs

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

... an interesting drive this AM. 

fog banks. Limited visibility.... very limited in some spots.

.... and factor in the mobile obstacles ... cows, deer, javelina ... I was kinda tip-toeing along.

Ha. The little car hit 50mpg average on its odometer. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/21/2024 at 8:01 PM, grasshopper said:

I have stuff coming up in the garden ... and it isn't snow drifts .... green stuff

we have that as well it´s called ice dope 😂  btw ..taste great

eis.jpg.9d8054c40770cc5e486b13ab604f686a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/22/2024 at 10:07 AM, Dave1291 said:

I'm just waitin on a plumber. 

Speaking of a plumber:
My day started as usual, I woke up too early (4 am) and I started a load of laundry first thing, right after starting some coffee. All went well until I heard water running, but differently than I would normally hear it. The washing machine's drain was clogged somewhere and the machine, on its rinse cycle, was pumping the second large load of water out and the b@$7@rd didn't care where the water went. Stopped the machine and threw down some large towels to soak some of the water that was on the floor... then it hit me that the spare kitchen downstairs was tied into the same drain. Yes, I had a mess. 
The laundry and spare kitchen drain is independent of the rest of the house and drains outside. The below-zero and below-freezing for the past few days froze the drain at the opening, something that hasn't happened before.   

gilda.jpg.7bf32a780c31932fb1b7108e480c301a.jpg    

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gilda was Grreeeaaaat!

Get well soon Chuck!

Dang I've gotten bad then Willie, three or four ounces a week, and I saw how my fave flavor has gone up $25 since I picked up several of them last spring! Glad I picked up a half a dozen then!

After not going above freezing very much at all since Christmas it's 50 here today. First snow in the new home for me will be gone soon. Took this yesterday here in front of the pc, there's a little less now.

PXL-20240123-135959561.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Speaking of a plumber:

Last week it was Tues or Wed then shifted to Monday.  Sent him a text this morning and got a "probably Friday."  FINALLY got a shower this afternoon at the kids.  He did tell me last week he was working on a new house and had to get it finished.  But....  lol  

1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

about an ounce a week. LOL

Wait, I'm STILL trying to figure that one out.  😂

54 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Took this yesterday here in front of the pc, there's a little less now.

Sooo much for the naked snow angels made by the neighbot.  Gone too soon.  

Hope ya feel better soon Chuck!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dave1291 said:

Last week it was Tues or Wed then shifted to Monday.  Sent him a text this morning and got a "probably Friday."  FINALLY got a shower this afternoon at the kids.  He did tell me last week he was working on a new house and had to get it finished.  But....  lol  

Yeah, new empty houses to plumb are more urgent than ones occupied. 

I would bet that someone will be looking to find a new plumber.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I would bet that someone will be looking to find a new plumber.  

This place is a real money pit.  I knew it would have issues when I bought it but...

Started w/the icemaker plastic water line.  20 year old fridge that was new when I bought the place.  The line cracked.  Shut the water off & replaced the line at the coupling up to the icemaker which broke at the bottom of the fridge.  Then got a door hanger from the water company last Thurs . 

I knew old ppl lived here but the ONLY place it could have leaked was in the gravel coverd crawl space so I looked.  Yup, had been running for a couple weeks.  Oldest daughter came over and hit the crawl space and changed out THAT plastic line, which also broke.  So had to turn the water off.  WHY those ppl ran a line from a filter attached to an outside hydrant line in a crawl space is beyond me.  Why not the sink line 4' away? 

Then when the water went on, the old gate valve stem collar nut was deteriolated to the max and the nut was cracked..  Sooooo, that's the crux of it but not all. 

One floor drain and I honestly think they put Sakrete in the line to prevent heavy rain water from backing up into the basement of this tri-level.  Long back story to that problem here in the hood. 

Right after I bought the place I got two inches.  Neighbors on either side of me got 4'.  All because the city hadn't completed the seperate lines outta the hood.   Yea, that's the story and right now I'm running outta dishes and silverware so it BETTER be Friday!   😡   😂

Upside of it?  Called the city and the dude told me that somehow I had signed up for broken water line coverage for a couple bucks a month.  He said it should cover the majority of the 260$ water bill this month.  Normally it's 60.  We'll see.  Guess I did something right and didn't remember it.   :)

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

The laundry and spare kitchen drain is independent of the rest of the house and drains outside. The below-zero and below-freezing for the past few days froze the drain at the opening, something that hasn't happened before. 

Can you insulate it somehow? Expect colder temps in the future...it's global warming.:P

My backflow device froze solid a few years back...couldn't figure out for a little bit why I did not have water one morning. Next time it was checked it failed bent by the ice. Had to replace $500+. Damn straight I got an insulating bag before the next winter.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, babadono said:

Can you insulate it somehow?

Yes. It was dark and I was scrambling. I happened to have a ~ 12" long x 5/8" drill bit handy.. Drilled for all it was worth, no water. Grabbed a pick and dug back a foot or more, cut the PVC pile, and drilled again and struck water that time.  
I will make a few changes.

12 minutes ago, babadono said:

Expect colder temps in the future...it's global warming.:P

lol
IKR

• Like 2