Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

No flux.  You can use rosin core solder if you can find it small enough or solder made for electronics.

If your solder does not have a rosin core(or some other type of flux) you need flux. We are soldering here not welding

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, babadono said:

If your solder does not have a rosin core(or some other type of flux) you need flux. We are soldering here not welding

The solder I bought from Parts Express (silver bearing) did not have flux and works great on PC boards.  What gives?  I've also used it on copper wire with no issue.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, babadono said:

Whew! You had me going. Looking through my soldering basics texts.

The rosin core is clearly visible on all the rosin core solder I've ever used.  The Parts express stuff doesn't show any signs of flux.  I guess it's mixed into the solder somehow.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

We used to have something called blue laws.  You could buy hammers but not nails (or vice versa,  I forget) on Sundays.  Hardware stores would rope off aisles of taboo items on Sunday to keep you from working.  It was crazy.  

Sundays in the grocery stores here you can buy beer and wine but only after noon.  Liquor stores are closed on Sundays.

We had a blue law here years ago, not anymore. But you can only buy beer in this town no hard liquor, dry county, and everyone knows you can not get drunk on beer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Anyone ever heard of this new-fangled invention called "ice"?

We are talking Indiana, right? They might not have.

And before all you Hoosiers give me a hard time I was born at St. Vincent's in Indianapolis and lived in Indiana for the first 10 years of my life so I'm allowed to poke a bit of fun. 

• Like 2

Just now, rplace said:

We are talking Indiana, right? They might not have.

And before all you Hoosiers give me a hard time I was born at St. Vincent's in Indianapolis and lived in Indiana for the first 10 years of my life so I'm allowed to poke a bit of fun. 

Poke fun all you want, this place is full of clowns....We even export them to Washington DC.....

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, rplace said:

So you can't make a rum and coke with the Bacardi bottle under the seat of your car from the night before. It would be too warm for a proper roadie.

The key word there is "proper",  much worse things have been done. :blush:

• Like 2

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, rplace said:

Only been there twice and it has never stopped me from making fun of Hoosiers. 

They are like Canadians but less funny, eh. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, rplace said:

I think I like coffee and cocktails better, just sayn'.

I don't blame you, I would have thrown it away after seeing that mess.

I try to fix anything, but with my fat fingers that would be rough.

• Like 2