Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

38 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

All these cable guys here and we can't fix an RCA cable?  Do I need to recruit from AudioKarma?

My money has it that the Cable, Coffee, Cocktail bunch are more experienced with the latter two topics. Cables are a means to an end. 

Coffee and Cocktails are a lifestyle  --- ?!

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, richieb said:

My money has it that the Cable, Coffee, Cocktail bunch are more experienced with the latter two topics. Cables are a means to an end. 

Coffee and Cocktails are a lifestyle  --- ?!

I'm a table saw and router guy. My A/V skills lean toward listening and buying gear. I'm not much of internal equipment guy. However, I am pretty good at the 2nd and 3rd "C" if I do say so myself.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Buttermilk, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt or salt pork fat......

Is that what those giant biscuits are like?

Gotta be Lodge! That stuff last for decades.

nice @dtel

Just buttermilk and self rising flour mixed a little wetter than if you were going to roll them out, a few tablespoons of oil in the pan and drop big spoonfuls. bake at 450 for about 20 min or so depending on how much you put.

Some are Lodge some have no name, only one I got new. We were at a Lodge outlet store while on vacation in Tennessee once and I found a nice size one that was a little different shape. The only had one of them and what was different was the bottom outside edge is round going up to the side, not like any other castiron I have. Plus it was marked down since they only had one so I grabbed it.

I love cast iron pots/pans, except for that one pan I got all the others used, they clean up easily and will last forever. The last one I got is a little over 15" wide and very thick. It was leaning against a tree in someone's yard. :o Asked if they wanted to sell it, sure for $10, cleaned up easily. Not perfect but works fine.

image.jpeg

• Like 4

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, rplace said:

I'm a table saw and router guy.

Now were talking, one of my favorite hobbies, along with taking pic's, gardens, coffee, traveling, watching women, cooking, music, ........never mind. :huh:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dtel said:

It was leaning against a tree in someone's yard. :o Asked if they wanted to sell it, sure for $10, cleaned up easily. Not perfect but works fine.

you’re much braver than I am.  Me, being a germaphobe, couldn’t use that even if I washed it a thousand times. But, then I’m from Los Angeles and you never know what you’re going to encounter there.   You can’t even walk down the sidewalk without having to dodge used condoms and syringes. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

are you suggesting that there is a way to make Rum any worse than it already is?  That has to be the worst alcoholic beverage on the face of the earth. Well, i did have a bad experience with some Jagermeister when i was trying to show off to my future father in law many years ago.  He flew into town and took us to a very expensive place to eat. After the meal, the server brings by a beverage cart and asks if we’d like a drink.  Now, I was a beer drinker; but, wanted to look like i belonged in a fancy place. So, as she is getting my father in law his drink, i glanced at the cart and the only label i could see was Jagermeister. I asked her, “Do you have Jagermeister?”  When i was bringing the glass to my mouth and caught a whiff of that stuff, i was sure that she poured me glass of Vicks Formula 44.  I had drank Tequila and Whisky plenty of times ... why did I say Jagermeister? 

You sir have obviously never had GOOD rum.  Yes, there is such a thing.  While we were in Mexico last spring, I was lucky enough to score two bottles of genuine Cuban Havana Club.  Can't get it here in the States for some crazy, moronic reason.....

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

You sir have obviously never had GOOD rum.  Yes, there is such a thing.  While we were in Mexico last spring, I was lucky enough to score two bottles of genuine Cuban Havana Club.  Can't get it here in the States for some crazy, moronic reason.....

well, you do have good taste in wine, so i’ll take your word for it.  

Bacardi 151 was the drink during sophomore year of high school. The last bit of rum i drank was at a poker game and someone passed a bottle of Captain Morgan. That stuff my friend, is horrible. 

I was always more of a Tequila man than anything else -- and shots of it, not margaritas.

• Like 3

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

you’re much braver than I am.  Me, being a germaphobe, couldn’t use that even if I washed it a thousand times. But, then I’m from Los Angeles and you never know what you’re going to encounter there.   You can’t even walk down the sidewalk without having to dodge used condoms and syringes. 

Well it was cleaned with a sidegrinder with a wire wheel and then heated to 500 degrees. Reheated many times with oil to season it recoated with oil and baked in the oven for hours. If anything survived that, it would have killed me by now. 

I may not have used it if it came from LA, I think they have germs and diseases they have nowhere else in the world, it's what causes the craziness. Glad you got out. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Just buttermilk and self rising flour mixed a little wetter than if you were going to roll them out, a few tablespoons of oil in the pan and drop big spoonfuls. bake at 450 for about 20 min or so depending on how much you put.

Some are Lodge some have no name, only one I got new. We were at a Lodge outlet store while on vacation in Tennessee once and I found a nice size one that was a little different shape. The only had one of them and what was different was the bottom outside edge is round going up to the side, not like any other castiron I have. Plus it was marked down since they only had one so I grabbed it.

I love cast iron pots/pans, except for that one pan I got all the others used, they clean up easily and will last forever. The last one I got is a little over 15" wide and very thick. It was leaning against a tree in someone's yard. :o Asked if they wanted to sell it, sure for $10, cleaned up easily. Not perfect but works fine.

image.jpeg

I want that pan....that's a well seasoned pan you have there dtel !!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I have used a lot of steel from Germany that disproves that statement.

I have sold hundreds of tons of manufacturing equipment made from German steel, drove some too. Nary a problem. Even went so far as to cut an onion with some, just this evening matter of fact. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, richieb said:

German steel, drove some too

Yeah; loved German "steel." Especially Porsche's. Had a 911 turbo - souped up to 550HP - scared the hell out of my wife :) Bit older now :( so all I do is turn the volume up on my Klipsch ... still scares my wife :)

Cheers, Emile

• Like 2
  • Haha 1