Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

I do not even care anymore if Indiana gets Sunday sales. We are all trained to make our purchases the other 6 days of the week.

I did hear the bill for cold beer sales for grocery and convenience stores failed to pass.

No big interest groups at work there.

The big irony of it all as Ceptorman mentioned is that currently a brew pub can fill your growler on a Sunday and you can carry it out.

Another irony is that a liquor store can not sell a cold soft drink, but can have a soft drink machine right outside the exit door.

• Like 5

I think when states attach seperate taxes on "vices" I.e. booze, tobacco, is when point of sale laws flourish. Sounds like good ol' Kanasa' liquor laws aren't quite as backward as some. Liquor stores carry the full range of liquor and "strong" beer, 5.0. But there must be a seperate door or adjacent store where mixers and tobacco is sold. Sunday sales are OK, credit card is OK. Grocery stores cannot carry booze or wine, only 3.2 beer. And for many Kanasa Citians Missouri state line is just across the street as the state line dissects the city and Missouri laws are much more liberal.  Booze, smokes all in one store, grocery too.  And of course the grocery store law  is always a point of interest in the legislature, you know, the idiots. I guess in reality our laws are crazy as any but compared to what they were 20-30 years ago this is a wide open market. 

• Like 3

We used to have something called blue laws.  You could buy hammers but not nails (or vice versa,  I forget) on Sundays.  Hardware stores would rope off aisles of taboo items on Sunday to keep you from working.  It was crazy.  

Sundays in the grocery stores here you can buy beer and wine but only after noon.  Liquor stores are closed on Sundays.

• Like 3

I lived in VA in the 80s the Blue Laws were just silly and annoying. Guess the south did not get the separation of Church and State memo back in the day. Still lots of friends there and they have gotten better. I've lived in many states and the various alcohol policies are interesting/funny.

On a positive note I'm digging my latest coffee delivery. AND on a cable note I had a interconnect break. The RCA end came off of the cable. I'm sure I could google it but since this is the cable thread are there an easy fix? Solder I'm guessing. Any quick how-tos? Its a rather decent cable, not the freebee that comes with a new piece of equipment. Just gotta work in a cocktail reference for the trifecta in one message. Oh wait maybe I already did with the blue law Sunday thing. What say you all, winner?

Bonus points for adding music playing:

f9fabfe8fc5bfdcc5c499c42df245025f2972080 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, babadono said:

Does the RCA connector come apart? Sometimes they're potted and not EASILY repairable. If it does come apart then fixing is pretty straight forward.

Yea it unscrews. Looks like maybe a connection in the center and to the outer edge of the RCA.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The shield should go to the outer portion and the signal wire to the center.  You might carefully unscrew the other end that isn't broken for a further visual aid.

Looking at other side, brilliant! :emotion-21::emotion-21:

I was expecting two wires, one for each (outside and center). When I took the broken end off it looked like 3 wires...see first picture. When I looked at good end that was not all frayed there are actually 4 wires, pretty obvious. Two running along the outer edge, shielding perhaps? and two down more in the middle. Poking around all that frayed plastic stuff I now see there are 4 wires, two going to each location. Hopefully if I cut it smoothly it will be easier to work with.

I've got a pencil soldering iron and solder like you use for sweating copper pipes. Do I need any fancy silver solder or anything? Flux, no flux? Its already screwed up so don't think I can make it any worse.

IMG_20171205_124003692.thumb.jpg.d43e4c9f71f434540ce38b8a2497347b.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

We used to have something called blue laws.  You could buy hammers but not nails (or vice versa,  I forget) on Sundays.  Hardware stores would rope off aisles of taboo items on Sunday to keep you from working.  It was crazy.  

Sundays in the grocery stores here you can buy beer and wine but only after noon.  Liquor stores are closed on Sundays.

and you thought nys was bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rplace said:

Looking at other side, brilliant! :emotion-21::emotion-21:

I was expecting two wires, one for each (outside and center). When I took the broken end off it looked like 3 wires...see first picture. When I looked at good end that was not all frayed there are actually 4 wires, pretty obvious. Two running along the outer edge, shielding perhaps? and two down more in the middle. Poking around all that frayed plastic stuff I now see there are 4 wires, two going to each location. Hopefully if I cut it smoothly it will be easier to work with.

I've got a pencil soldering iron and solder like you use for sweating copper pipes. Do I need any fancy silver solder or anything? Flux, no flux? Its already screwed up so don't think I can make it any worse.

IMG_20171205_124003692.thumb.jpg.d43e4c9f71f434540ce38b8a2497347b.jpg

keep trying you will.....it just gets shorter...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

what is the logic behind that decision?

1 hour ago, rplace said:

So you can't make a rum and coke with the Bacardi bottle under the seat of your car from the night before. It would be too warm for a proper roadie.

That is my assumption as well, so you can not make a mixed drink in the parking lot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1