Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

11 minutes ago, rplace said:

Good morning back @billybob Happy Monday. Only 17 more days till the short days start to reverse themselves. I hate it being dark so early in the evening.

I got my 3 bags of Just Coffee on Saturday so I'm out of the panic zone in the coffee bin.

Glad to hear it. No good without coffee here. Barely any good with it. The link you posted and Mike reposted about the espresso deal is in the works. It will be fun to have the cups as well. Having to cut down as caffeine has always worked for me in the alertness department. Lol, guess I may need to go slow with the espresso also.  Thanks!

Thinking the school kids will appreciate some daylight also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LF has the Big Green Egg with the full size cabinet.  There is definitely a learning curve as it really can put out some heat.  She likes to cook pizzas on hers and I'm still working on getting ribs, chicken. and steaks off in time.  Steaks come off at 115-120 degrees for medium rare since they continue to cook off the heat.

I was previously a Weber grill guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had a BGE for going on 10 years now I'd say. More than happy with it. All the praise you read is well deserved, IMO. I refuse to buy ribs out now, they are so simple on the BGE and WAY better than anything you can get out. I've not cooked a turkey in the house in at least 5 years. Perfect thanksgiving birds every time. Pulled pork is amazing as well and not difficult. It will easily go 15+ hours at 225 degrees on one load of quality lump charcoal. Any type of chicken turns out great as do pizzas because you can really crank up the heat.

A tad messy to clean out but that will be the case with any smoker. I work with a guy that has a Kamodo Joe and can't put my finger on it but I just don't care for it as much. Has a cheapness to it...probably just my bias. I have a friend with a Primo and if I had to do it over I might go that route. Solid build and the oval surface with split grates allows for more versatility. For something like chicken thighs you can have both direct to sear them quickly and indirect to finish them off. On the BGE I have to sear then put the stone in for indirect. I read that the BGE is more the traditional style but I really can't see in my mind how the slight difference in shape between BGE and Primo could ultimately matter.

I could live with my BGE the rest of my life and be happy...but if I was starting over from scratch I think the Primo might get the nod.

I've had a few different stands/tables for it. I never could find exactly what I wanted so I built my own out of marine plywood, stainless steel doors and a poured cement counter top with a couple hundred marbles (yes kids marbles) thrown in the mix.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've posted this before in another thread, but when I first cooked on a pellet smoker I realized it equaled the best smoked meat I had ever done. I cooked a whole hog on a pit I had made with concrete blocks. Smoke was provided from the hot coals of a green hickory wood fire. This cookout was for my parents 50th wedding anniversary. The smoke flavor from the pellets equals the flavor from the green hickory coals and is a whole lot less work.

smoked hog.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

LF has the Big Green Egg with the full size cabinet.  There is definitely a learning curve as it really can put out some heat.  She likes to cook pizzas on hers and I'm still working on getting ribs, chicken. and steaks off in time.  Steaks come off at 115-120 degrees for medium rare since they continue to cook off the heat.

I was previously a Weber grill guy.

here's a egg for you..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Egg_(building)

but you have to fire up proir to going

in....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Egg_(building)

853px-The_Egg.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Tarheel said:

May have to take a ride in the bubble again as the weather declines from Tuesday on.

Now I know that bubble of yours is a pretty S-2000, sure it's fun.

Had a 96 Prelude SI that was fun, just not on an 800 mile interstate highway trip.:blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Now I know that bubble of yours is a pretty S-2000, sure it's fun.

Had a 96 Prelude SI that was fun, just not on an 800 mile interstate highway trip.:blink:

Know what you mean John.  The guy I bought it from found out I was 67 and worried I couldn't get in an out of it:P  Drove it home from Mt. Pleasant S.C to Wilmington, NC and that's far enough for these old bones.

• Like 3