Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

13 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Well we certainly have humidity here plus the garage is 43 years old.  There's really no ventilation most times as it stays closed.  I'm thinking of going back with OSB, primer and paint.

PM sent.

26 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Well we certainly have humidity here plus the garage is 43 years old.  There's really no ventilation most times as it stays closed.  I'm thinking of going back with OSB, primer and paint.

I have a detached garage with a propane heater for the winter (only used when I am in it), no A/C. It has the two side walls with OSB as it comes from the factory, sort of a light gray color. The back wall is all pegboard with the white, smooth finish. The front wall is two 10' garage doors. The OSB and pegboard has held up flawlessly for 10+ years in the heat and cold. Probably not Texas hot but pretty darn hot in the summer with everything closed up and no ventilation. It sees lots of temp variations. The ceiling is drywall but not primed/painted. I like the OSB walls because you can put a nail/screw in wherever you want. No drywall anchor needed. Seems fine for a garage, but if you are going for a more finished look maybe not.

The garage attached to my house has drywall and primer/paint all around. I'd guess much less temp swings since it is attached to the house and the paint started to peal after about 5 years.

I'd do OSB all over aging if given the chance. HTH.

1 minute ago, rplace said:

Seems fine for a garage, but if you are going for a more finished look maybe not.

Primed and painted, it should look fine.  The worst part will be replacing it on the garage door side.  I'll have to loosen the garage door rails and tracks to get the OSB behind it.

17 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Primed and painted, it should look fine.  The worst part will be replacing it on the garage door side.  I'll have to loosen the garage door rails and tracks to get the OSB behind it.

Cheated on mine. Insulated garage doors, insulated ceiling and walls. The front where the doors are has a people door in addition to the two large garage doors so probably less than 10' feet total of 33' that are not doors. I've just got brick on the outside and 2X4s inside, no insulation/OSB.....oh, crap now that I think about it OSB is that funky looking chip board right? I'm sorry not OSB in the inside walls I think it is call T1-11. Sort of a paneling look with a tongue and groove overlap. Much cleaner/neater looking than OSB. Comes prefinished, no need to paint and very durable. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of my actual garage. I'm very happy with the T1-11, not OSB inside.

Give this some consideration as the finished wall inside covering up the insulation.

paint-t1-11-siding-panels.jpg?sfvrsn=0

EDIT: Here is a picture from very early after construction. The back wall looks white but that is the pegboard. Right wall is the T1-11. Still looks like the picture many years later. Could not be happier with the outcome. Heater and Heresy II visible in the back.

GarageFinished003.jpg

34 minutes ago, rplace said:

Cheated on mine. Insulated garage doors, insulated ceiling and walls. The front where the doors are has a people door in addition to the two large garage doors so probably less than 10' feet total of 33' that are not doors. I've just got brick on the outside and 2X4s inside, no insulation/OSB.....oh, crap now that I think about it OSB is that funky looking chip board right? I'm sorry not OSB in the inside walls I think it is call T1-11. Sort of a paneling look with a tongue and groove overlap. Much cleaner/neater looking than OSB. Comes prefinished, no need to paint and very durable. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of my actual garage. I'm very happy with the T1-11, not OSB inside.

Give this some consideration as the finished wall inside covering up the insulation.

paint-t1-11-siding-panels.jpg?sfvrsn=0

EDIT: Here is a picture from very early after construction. The back wall looks white but that is the pegboard. Right wall is the T1-11. Still looks like the picture many years later. Could not be happier with the outcome. Heater and Heresy II visible in the back.

GarageFinished003.jpg

Mmmmmm....Beer

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, rplace said:

Cheated on mine. Insulated garage doors, insulated ceiling and walls.

I'll be insulating the door panel also.  There's one window in the garage and it will get a double pane argon filled replacement.

T board is used in a lot of exterior applications up this way.  It's good stuff and will hold up for years.  I used to run some maintenance for my out(in)-laws, on 6 buildings w/3 2-BR apts in each unit.  There were also garages attached to the buildings for a total of 18 garages.  Enough old people for me...  I used a dark brown pigmented Cabot stain.  The board will suck the stain up and you almost have to brush the channels then roll but imo it would great stuff for you to use.  You can spray it but I went the brush and roll way for two coats.  You want paint, prime it then paint it.  Pour it to it man!  Pricey but great if you're looking long term..  Just use the good stuff for the initial coat.  Gotta seal it well!  

17 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'll be insulating the door panel also.  There's one window in the garage and it will get a double pane argon filled replacement.

AC and argon insulated windows in a garage? This man spends some serious time in his garage:)

Come to think of it I am contemplating moving the pellet stove I just removed from the corner in the basement where one of my Jubes resides to my garage.

1 minute ago, babadono said:

AC and argon insulated windows in a garage? This man spends some serious time in his garage:)

Serious hot time, yes.  It's 100+ in there in the summer plus we have the lovely humidity.  I'm always piddling in there and it would be nice to be able to concentrate on a project without having to wipe my face every 2 minutes.

New cabinets will have a place for the 396's as well.  I guess they'll be considered book shelf speakers at that time.

• Haha 2