Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

4 hours ago, dtel said:

I do also, sometimes for days looking at a safer or easier way for an upcoming project, but things still happen sometimes.

For me it's usuialy the little things, a scrape or a stick from something, I tend to bleed everyday at times.

And then we enter the age of unexplained scrapes and bruises.  "What?  When did I do that?"

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, dtel said:

I do have a good ladder accident story.

I had a nickle section of cancer between my elbow and shoulder on the front side. It was not going to be long before a trip to the dermatologist to remove it like the time before in a different place. 

Well I was working on the workshop and moving my big ladder and it fell sideways and I caught it. A few minutes later my arm inside my jacket felt wet, so I took it off to find alot of blood and pieces of skin. I went inside to wash it off, cover it and change jackets, that night I looked better and noticed it tore off the spot that was growing. It healed over and nothing growing, I was shocked, so I guess i removed a spot of cancer with a ladder. :lol: It still has not come back you can not even tell where it was. :emotion-21:

You removed a tumour with a ladder?  That's some redneck surgery right there!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/24/2021 at 7:08 AM, Tarheel said:

LF purchased 4 bags of Mayorga beans on sale for $9 at Costco!  Shouldn't run low on coffee for a bit.

picked up a bag of coffee the other day... it's up to $14 for bag.. so did you send LF out for more ?

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 1:39 AM, 001 said:

Montreal Canadiens win game 1 vs- Winnepeg Jets   ---Jake Evans on a Stretcher --Viscious hit to be reviewed by the NHL -

Chickenshit move. Deserves a severe penalty..........i.e. money.........big pile of it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, dtel said:

Getting old is tireing and even hurts sometimes. 

20 hours ago, Tarheel said:

I think (hope) I'm done climbing ladders onto the roof at my age (72).

17 hours ago, Islander said:

I consider the best and safest way to do tricky things before I start, so as to avoid injury, because if I fall down, there's nobody here to pick me up

17 hours ago, grasshopper said:

almost as much fun as climbing down a windmill after you've been working in the gearbox.

Yea, we're all a special kinda stupid.  I remember a time painting for some friends I had 3' to cut in a tight front foyer.  Ladder was straight up against the wall, maybe 3' behind me to the stairs and nothing on either side of me.  I HAD to cut into the ceiling for that run then I could roll the rest.  Somehow I grew a pair and went up to the second rung from the top, used suction from my big belly hole to hold me close to the wall and survived.  That was after I taped the 2.5" angle to the pole.  Dumbest thing I ever did painting.  They couldn't figure out how I did it and told me after that they weren't doing it.  Told 'em I didn't know how I did it either.  Today it's been about 3 weeks working in these halls.  A two-day job.  Ya hit 70 they may as well take ya out behind the barn and shoot ya.  You're done.  I'll git-er-done though.  Sometime before the middle of July when they lay the hardwood & carpet.  Yup, we're survivors!    😂  😎

• Haha 2

I've come to grips with not being able [or wanting] to do some of the stuff I did when I was a kid. At 66, I like to think I've gotten a little smarter than that....

...............and then I do something stupid.

oh.. that scratch I got yesterday... It's about 2 inches long and kinda deep. Took 2 bang aids to cover it. I took them off this AM, to let some air to the wound.  

I could have used "New Skin" as a bandage. If you haven't tried it, it works. Burns like crazy until it dries, tho. Ether as a solvent... if it's the same stuff we used when I was bowling.  The old school "new skin" [toilet paper] works just fine for this application.

--------------------------------------

as audio enthusiasts

How often are you able to just listen to the music instead of critiquing the system?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Locktite works well OR pick a color of Ducktape!  😂  Just took the oldest and the two grands out for bkfast.  Slipped into the bank, stopped for beer and got busted by my buddy as I walked out.  Put the 12-pack in the car, did an about face and went back in and got 12 more.  He isn't working today and mumbled something about painting today.  Hahahaha  Imma not thinking that's gonna happen for some reason.  80 today then on up into the weekend.  Worthlessness is a GOOD thing.  Stack of new stuff here to play, jam night tonight so yea...  Gonna get the drop on em!  I'm pathetic what can I say!   😂

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, geezin' said:

Chickenshit move.  Deserves a severe penalty.

The latest news is that Scheifele will get a 4-game suspension for charging Jake Evans at the game this week.  Some people argued that he should have got a 6-game suspension, which would have taken him out for the rest of the series.  Happily, Jake is recovering, and did not need to go to hospital.

Can you think of any other game where the players move so fast that a collision can cause far more serious injuries than in any other game, because of the momentum generated by the mass of these big players moving so fast, even with all the protective gear that the players wear?  In a way, it’s nearly like being hit by a speeding motorcycle.  The call is charging.  Do any other games have a similar offense, the offense of intentionally running into another player, without any other complicating factor?

In motorcycle roadracing, the frequency of serious injuries and even deaths has gone down very noticeably.  One racer in MotoGP, the Formula 1 of bike racing, commented that when he comes off his bike at very high speeds, like over 300 km/hr (186 mph), he’s sore all over, like he’d been working out in the gym for 24 hours, or something like that.  In the past, a crash at that speed would cause very serious injuries.  It might even be fatal.  But not any more, most of the time.

The modern racing suits take a lot of the credit for that.  They have body armour in many locations, and for the last several years, they have electronically controlled airbags that can sense when the rider has left the bike and inflate before he hits the pavement.  After being in racing suits for a decade or so, airbags are now available in street-riding jackets!  And they’re not that expensive, either.  A buddy of mine who lives in California crashed two or three years ago, and credits the airbag in his jacket with preventing him from breaking any bones.  

In the past, like when I started racing in the Seventies, the suits were basically just leather coveralls, and the only protection being offered was abrasion protection.  You could slide along the pavement with no scrapes, and if you didn’t tumble or get hit by any kind of solid object, you might get up unhurt.

Many times, though, you would tumble and break something.  Collarbones were a popular one, and still are, unfortunately, but the terrible injuries that used to be common, like when World Champion Barry Sheene crashed on the front straight at Daytona at around 175 mph, because of a tire failure.  He broke so many bones that they called him the Bionic Man for a while, because of all the metal plates the doctors had to install to repair all the bones he had broken.

Maybe it’s time to consider airbags for hockey protective gear.  As well, the helmets are clearly inadequate today.    With the players travelling at near-motorcycle speeds, maybe it’s time to consider open-face motorcycle-type helmets, with the protective linings optimized for hockey speeds.  Concussions have been an ongoing problem for decades, and have put an end to the careers of many players, often the best players, because they’re the ones that become the targets of hits.  Wayne Gretzky is a prime example of being a target.  Luckily, he didn’t suffer too many head injuries, mainly because in most games, he’d have one or two fellow team members shadowing him, to keep any opposing players from trying to take him out.  

A big problem is that there’s no easy way to limit the speeds of the players.  In motor racing, if the speeds get dangerously high, the bikes or cars can have their power reduced in a variety of ways.  Do we need some kind of skates that don’t glide as well, to prevent the players from reaching the high speeds that make collions so dangerous?  That could make for boring hockey.  It’s not just the speed, a new factor is that the players are bigger and heavier than they were back in the Original Six era, for example.  Back then helmets or even face shields for goalies, were considered to be unnecessary, or even something that a non-macho player would wear, so they were a hard sell at the time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I could have used "New Skin" as a bandage.

I have a retired Army medic friend who said they always carried superglue, it could be used to close wounds in an emergency. Might be close to the same thing as new skin ?

• Like 3

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

No idea how many is best, but 3.8 gallons an hour is alot of coffee, even for you.

Nice machine, probably overkill for the home

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

Getting ready to pull the trigger..

Any thoughts and what spray head..

5 hole or 6 hole ?

Yup that looks like a commercial unit. Should last for you for a couple of years :wink:

Call them up, they answer the phone when I do. Ask if they provide different heads like one to prolong the brew time like for their fast brew units. It gives you better more flavorful coffee!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

Looks identical to my A10.  you're going to love it and probably never buy another coffeemaker.  @dtel just because it can do 3.8 gal per hour doesn't mean you have to.  We can do as little as 4 cups (which is about 2 1/2 mugs) in ours.  It'll go from dead cold, turned off to ready to brew in about 8 minutes.  If you leave it on constantly it's always ready.

• Like 3

@Islander

Better helmets        yep

Dull skates               NO

Protective gear?      Like the goalies wear?

Just have Captain Kirk whip them into shape like he did our guys in three months flat.

They all got leaner, faster and more tough, although that bunch didn't have enough testosterone for it and wouldn't give him allegiance it seemed.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Ask if they provide different heads like one to prolong the brew time like for their fast brew units.

This was NOT the coffee maker he is looking at but about your point.

We were in Arkansas and I went to make coffee one morning, the cheap coffeemaker had 2 settings normal and strong so I pressed strong. I went to do something and came back half an hour later and it only had made a quarter of a pot, on strong it dripped very very slow, I had to press normal to get it done that morning.  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, dtel said:

This was NOT the coffee maker he is looking at but about your point.

We were in Arkansas and I went to make coffee one morning, the cheap coffeemaker had 2 settings normal and strong so I pressed strong. I went to do something and came back half an hour later and it only had made a quarter of a pot, on strong it dripped very very slow, I had to press normal to get it done that morning.  

Ha! I would have smashed it like so many alarm clocks that I did in my teen to mid twenties years!

*My velocity brew still makes it in less than five minutes for 40 oz, but with just me here now I'm doing 24 every morning.

Edited by JohnJ

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

@dtel just because it can do 3.8 gal per hour doesn't mean you have to. 

Good thing, a slower setting would be nice. Probably 3.8 gallons is if you make pot after pot quickly.