Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

what is soccer?  we pretty much just walk around being awesome; but, when the time comes we just play sports out here. You know, football, basketball and baseball…oh yeah, and golf … and darts … and horseshoes … and curling … and chugging pots of hot coffee (to toughen us up).

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 5

I don't know. Youth athletics depend on "Daylights Savings Time". It had to help when you were involved with soccer Carl, right?

Good question.  Soccer here is mostly in the summer months when the days are longer.  All our fields were lit as well for evening practice so I'm not sure how much we'd be affected.  Games were Saturday and Sunday mornings so no issue there.

As a kid ours was between football and baseball seasons.  Games were in the mornings on weekends.

• Like 2

Come on guys. Most kids are practicing sports on unlit fields after school. We have a least 3 "events" a week (maybe two practices and one game). Our kids start practice at 5pm on a park baseball field without lights. Take away DST and those couldn't happen.

• Like 2

Morning gang

70s+ for next few days.

Skeeters are lite this week, likely they know it's tax time and unclesam has left no blood for them.

Lawn attacked, and yeah two little carpet panels still to go in the Boat. today, dammit, today!

Tarheel, those vent(s) they installed, top peak of the roof?

• Like 6

Yep duder that practice schedule sounds a bit rigorous.

Mark I originally had two gable end vents and one power vent.  I took out the power vent and went to ridge vents a passive system on the peak of the roof.  Air intake through the soffit and gable vents brings in cool air that forces the warm air out through the ridge vents.

Roofers are finished though I asked them to reroof the tool shed if they had spare shingles....so all roof coverings will match.  Pictures today.

Took pics of LF in action on the tennis court that I need to load.  Going home today.....Jake is a little homesick even with the treats he is getting here.

Bike riding, pool time, and checking out the new roof on the agenda.

Cheers :emotion-44: Gents

• Like 5

Let me ask. Do you think 3, 2 hour long practices is a lot for an 8/9 year old for baseball.

Hell no! Not if he is enjoying the game. Not if it keeps him out of trouble. Not if it keeps him off the damn video games for a while! 

• Like 4

Interesting opinions on baseball:

My son gets one hour of video game time per day x 7 days = 7 hours per week.

Baseball 3 days x 2 hours = 6 hours per week.

School is 35 hrs.

Sleep is 60 hrs. 

Those of you with kids, what do your kids spend their time doing?

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 4

Yep duder that practice schedule sounds a bit rigorous.

Mark I originally had two gable end vents and one power vent.  I took out the power vent and went to ridge vents a passive system on the peak of the roof.  Air intake through the soffit and gable vents brings in cool air that forces the warm air out through the ridge vents.

Roofers are finished though I asked them to reroof the tool shed if they had spare shingles....so all roof coverings will match.  Pictures today.

Took pics of LF in action on the tennis court that I need to load.  Going home today.....Jake is a little homesick even with the treats he is getting here.

Bike riding, pool time, and checking out the new roof on the agenda.

Cheers :emotion-44: Gents

Ridge vents was the word i was looking for, when i bought this place it just had a new roof put on it and that is what i was looking for, but the old owners went cheap and did not do it.

So i installed a fan in the garage side wall vent, sucks air through the big attic and out through the lower garage roof, works great however i do leave it going 24/7 through summer. your vents are the wave of the future.

Edited by minermark
  • Like 4

Let me ask. Do you think 3, 2 hour long practices is a lot for an 8/9 year old for baseball.

Hell no! Not if he is enjoying the game. Not if it keeps him out of trouble. Not if it keeps him off the damn video games for a while! 

Well if they were not in sports of some type, video games and gettin into trouble is not far off.

I may not agree with the many hours spent but it does outweigh the option(s) big time.

• Like 3

I agree, that's no where near excessive.  Kids at that age aren't throwing curve balls 6 hours a week.  They're basically learning the game at that point.  Coaches are throwing a ton of batting practice.  There's also a lot of standing and waiting your turn.  It's great for the kids.

• Like 1

I agree, that's no where near excessive. Kids at that age aren't throwing curve balls 6 hours a week. They're basically learning the game at that point. Coaches are throwing a ton of batting practice. There's also a lot of standing and waiting your turn. It's great for the kids.

I see the points made, but I guess my biggest problem is. That most practice start at 5 and go tell 7. I don't get off until 430-5. Ok so I will drop the complaint of having to dip out of work early. But even if he gets his home wiring done in kids club. When does he have time to do other things. Yes JL your right if he loves the sport he won't be worried about other things. But now I have to take into consideration of my other children. I need to get her to soccer practice and games as well. Plus cook dinner. By that time it's 830 ish and almost time for bed. I guess I just feel like the coaches have only one child and nothing else to do. We live a pretty busy life. Sometimes I just wish there is a better balance of time spent.
  • Like 3

Instead of the question being, "Don't you think 3, 2hour long practices are a lot for an 8/9 year old?" It should have been, "Don't you think 3, 2 hour long practices are a lot for an 8/9 year olds parent".

When my 2 oldest children were into their activities, my wife was in charge of running them around.  I don't know how she did it. 

I drive 22 miles one way to work.  My wife worked in town and never left town all day and would put more miles on her vehicle in the course of a day than I would.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 3

Isn't it always about compromises though? A couple of years ago he played on a team that practiced once a week and went 1-9 for the season. Last year he played on a team that practiced 3 times a week and went 8-2. We prefer the latter. Sounds like your son's coach is competitive and wants to win some games? It's a year to year thing and my son chooses to play or not to play each year. He has always chosen to play and wants to put in the practice time it takes to win.

edit: On Carl's point, it can be a real help to carpool with other kids/parents to practice and games. One year I drove 15 miles out of my way each practice so a single parents kid could play on the team. Surely there is some travel help available.

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 3