Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
Maybe we just use the minimal amount of voltage to zap them, but not burst them into flames. No risk, no reward!

Now your taking all the fun out of it, was looking forward to seeing the little fireballs :P  :(

• Like 6

• Moderators
It is cool here, only 58 degrees on the L.L. Bean brass thermo and breezy...

85 here with 40% humidity which is really low for us, and were not looking forward to 10-15 degrees higher over the next couple of months........ prepare to sweat :(

• Like 4

Second time taking the carb of my Stihl FS-250 brushwacker this year.  Broke it down, thought I cleaned every jet and orifice with Gumout and compressed air.  Can't get the SOB to idle or run continually at medium RPM's.  Screams like hell wide open.  Just changed spark plug...wasn't optimistic, but out of desperation had to eliminate that.  I bought this top of the line brushwacker in 2004 and I think I have more time working on it than actually using it.  Pisses me off big time.   :angry: Metering diaphragm and pump diaphragm look fine,  O.K.  going to take the carb off and soak just the carb body in Gumout, not the gaskets or rubber diaphragms.  Last shot.  $71 for a new carb and $48 for a rebuild kit...no brainer...new carb if this doesn't work.  Two seasons ago this happened and I finally got it running perfectly.  Better check the fuel cap...it's like it isn't getting a steady stream of gas.  Maybe the fuel cap has a vent.  Despite crossing state lines for no ethanol added premium fuel and storing it properly for the winter, this misfit is getting the better part of me.  If it wasn't so expensive, it would be in the bottom of my pond by now! :wacko:  On beer # 3 or 4. :P  Hope you all are having a better day!

Outdoor jammin' Gary!  I may throw in the towel and kick back.  WIsh I had some tequila for some margaritas...damn!  Going to fill the 3 foot round baby pool for the dogs...they love it! 

• Like 5

Second time taking the carb of my Stihl FS-250 brushwacker this year.  Broke it down, thought I cleaned every jet and orifice with Gumout and compressed air.  Can't get the SOB to idle or run continually at medium RPM's.  Screams like hell wide open.  Just changed spark plug...wasn't optimistic, but out of desperation had to eliminate that.  I bought this top of the line brushwacker in 2004 and I think I have more time working on it than actually using it.  Pisses me off big time.   :angry: Metering diaphragm and pump diaphragm look fine,  O.K.  going to take the carb off and soak just the carb body in Gumout, not the gaskets or rubber diaphragms.  Last shot.  $71 for a new carb and $48 for a rebuild kit...no brainer...new carb if this doesn't work.  Two seasons ago this happened and I finally got it running perfectly.  Better check the fuel cap...it's like it isn't getting a steady stream of gas.  Maybe the fuel cap has a vent.  Despite crossing state lines for no ethanol added premium fuel and storing it properly for the winter, this misfit is getting the better part of me.  If it wasn't so expensive, it would be in the bottom of my pond by now! :wacko:  On beer # 3 or 4. :P  Hope you all are having a better day!

Outdoor jammin' Gary!  I may throw in the towel and kick back.  WIsh I had some tequila for some margaritas...damn!  Going to fill the 3 foot round baby pool for the dogs...they love it! 

You could have bought a "Monday Engine" built on a monday, take it to a dealer and tell-em fix it or lawyer time.

Now about those beers, unless there is clearly "Shot Sippers" involved you should be able to keep count.

Please the Dogs, sounds like a plan, wile having another beer. :emotion-22: :emotion-22: :emotion-22: :emotion-22: :emotion-21:

• Like 4

Just back in from the Napa Machine Shop, Rotor turning, took in two Pubs waiting for this critter, took the wife w/me, smart move, both Pubs are having live bands at 4, so she will go back w/daughter :emotion-46: , me im going to Pizz Off Some Neighbors, crack a new bottle of the Lagavulin Distillers Edition w/Guinness Blond Chaser(s), all the wile doing brake work of course...... :emotion-46:  :emotion-22:  :emotion-22:  :emotion-22:  :emotion-41:   

• Like 6

The carb is in a small jar soaking in Gumout.  Rain moving in the next several days, so I think I will let it soak for days...maybe a week.  I don't think I need to worry about a carb getting pruned do I?  Right...3 beers, one vodka tonic, and a 2nd VT after I type this.  I guess I would rather be up against a small carb issue than a duallly rotor issue.  Kind of like the big boats with twins...double trouble.  Guiness blonde?

Chuck, do you find the carpenter bees depart in mid summer?  They always seem to be prevalent in spring then gone.

Spraying carb cleaner in the b holes, and then install MM's zapper screens.  That may be the ticket...no more house to maintain.  Time for the RV!  No property taxes either!   Need to find an RV to accommodate Khorns.

• Like 5

The carb is in a small jar soaking in Gumout.  Rain moving in the next several days, so I think I will let it soak for days...maybe a week.  I don't think I need to worry about a carb getting pruned do I?  Right...3 beers, one vodka tonic, and a 2nd VT after I type this.  I guess I would rather be up against a small carb issue than a duallly rotor issue.  Kind of like the big boats with twins...double trouble.  Guiness blonde?

Chuck, do you find the carpenter bees depart in mid summer?  They always seem to be prevalent in spring then gone.

Spraying carb cleaner in the b holes, and then install MM's zapper screens.  That may be the ticket...no more house to maintain.  Time for the RV!  No property taxes either!   Need to find an RV to accommodate Khorns.

Look in your local "Upscale" Liq store, Guinness Blond, for those who really want a Guinness but cannot handle the taste, one beer, you are indeed spoiled, as for a Guinness conisoure, you be in love Mate. 

Now as far as that Dually goes, iv sealed the cave, crankin tunes.

https://youtu.be/ISmgOrhELXs

Edited by minermark
  • Like 4

Just counted at least 9 holes in our soffit.  I'm starting a Carpenter bee contest!  You must be pretty fast with a tennis racket Chuck...thanks should be in order to your LF.  Just dug out my racket ball racket, but I'm at a disadvantage with a right shoulder and lat issue.

Can I count these 2, or would that be unfair without an official start?  I didn't get them with a racket.

Gary & Chuck, are you in?

002_zpsqvkzf7i5.jpg

• Like 3

Look in your local "Upscale" Liq store, Guinness Blond, for those who really want a Guinness but cannot handle the taste, one beer, you are indeed spoiled, as for a Guinness conisoure, you be in love Mate. 

I will have to look for it.  Does it carry as much punch as a regular Guiness?  I like Guiness stout, but only a couple as a night cap, or night start...

• Like 4

I will have to look for it.  Does it carry as much punch as a regular Guiness?  I like Guiness stout, but only a couple as a night cap, or night start...

Two blonds, and i feel-em, and dam tasty, nothing like Guinness, and your talkin to an irishman.

https://youtu.be/2jH74e3Qo9k

• Like 4

I will now proceed to my Scotch,Cigars and Tunes thread, iv contaminated chucks thread enough.......

Join you there later...off to cut grass and get in for the Blackhawks/Ducks game and maybe a martoony or two.  I drink just about everything, but haven't acquired a taste for scotch.  I have a couple 25+ years old bottles of "The Famous Grouse".  Is it good or cheap?  Would the 25+ years make it better?

bottle1.png

• Like 3

I will now proceed to my Scotch,Cigars and Tunes thread, iv contaminated chucks thread enough.......

Join you there later...off to cut grass and get in for the Blackhawks/Ducks game and maybe a martoony or two.  I drink just about everything, but haven't acquired a taste for scotch.  I have a couple 25+ years old bottles of "The Famous Grouse".  Is it good or cheap?  Would the 25+ years make it better?

bottle1.png

My man, i started with glenfiddish/Levet 20+ years ago, it's your taste, not mine, i will be your undoing, if you like it then your done, for awile, be not afraid to sample different in upscale Pubs (Hyatt) 10 bucks for a new blend is reasonable.

• Like 2

Good morning!  On 2nd cup of self ground Cameron's Highlander Grogg.  Going down smooth.  I have a carpenter bee problem.  I love my battery operated fly zappers of varying types and strength.  I am thinking about putting up some metal screening like you would use for window screeens (under the soffits) and wiring some low voltage to zap the baztards.  They say they are generally harmless from a stinging standpoint but my house soffits & fascia would disagree.  They drill cylindrical holes in wood and are very destructive and they fly around like a high tech military helicopter. Faster than the speed of light...very intimidating.

220px-Carpenter_bee_head_and_compound_ey

Minermark & others, how would I go about wiring something like this.  Could I use a small dc battery like this one?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Rechargeable-12-Volt-Battery/700551.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dbattery%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=battery

Have a great Memorial Day weekend and a HUGE Thank you to all the veterans and active duty service folks in our great country!

This is stuff to use!  http://www.logfinish.com/product/nbs-30-insect-repellent/  (outside use only)

It seems expensive but a little goes a long way.  Those bees don't shy away from treated lumber at all.  I had just rebuilt the kids' swing set after straight line winds broke the neighbors tree in half sending it on a karate chop path with the top beam of the swing set.   I found it full of holes 2 summers later and tunnels that were crazy long!  Mixed the NBS 30 in with the stain that I used on the deck, fence and swing set.  I believe the active ingredient is Citronella oil so the smell was a bit strong but I didn't mind it much.  The smell faded over time but the bees were completely gone for 3 years and I've only found a couple over the next few years.  Everything is ready for new stain so it pretty much lasted the life of the finish.  I'd say it kept most mosquitoes away that first year as well.  

• Like 5

Thanks Muel...I will try to find it.  Minermark, can you build me a couple RC artificial carpenter bees that are faster and can outsmart the real thing?  Come on, you got the schit to do it.  They need to be faster and smarter and be equipped with laser sights and tiny missiles and flame throwers.  How quick can you get them to me?  The scotch is on it's way.  About to start 2nd OT of Blackhawks/Ducks playoffs.  Forced to sip another vodka and cranberry on the rocks!   :unsure:  :wacko:  :blink:

• Like 4

TNR

On my Stihl string trimmer there is a metal screen grid over the exhaust port. If this becomes clogged with 2 stroke oil residue it will not let the engine breathe properly causing some of the conditions you describes. My trimmer was doing the same thing a couple seasons ago and the dealer tipped me this as the problem. Use a metal bristle brush, brass works well, and clean the crap off the screen. The engine can breath again and performace was back to normal. 

Stihl 2 strokes are designed to run flat out 100% off the time. When used like most home owners, idling, off/on with partial throttle, the exhaust loads up with 2 stroke oil and clogs this screen filter. Cleaning the screen worked wonders on mine and it was free advice from a dealer no less. So now when I need anything Stihl related I head back to the same place that tipped me to a free solution to problem he could easily have charged me a hour or two of labor.

• Like 6