Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
A quick photo of my "little" project.

Had no idea you were this handy, or brave, not sure which, probably both. I don't mind the engine part so much it's all the wires and vacuum line that scare me the most. I have flashbacks from a Toyota pickup I did that had about 4 miles of vacuum lines, took me weeks to get it right, good thing it was an extra truck at the time.

• Like 7

Deck is looking good there Tarheel. Springtime time w/no tan lines brings out the heliotropes of all shapes and sizes. :)

Jake has got it made alright. Living the life of riley. A movie star :cool: What's for dinner,lol !

Been awhile since was that deep into an engine. More power to you mechanics. Watching old war movies so far today.

Edit: Summertime

Edited by billybob
  • Like 4

• Moderators

Very smart, I have seen a few times where the connectors can only be connected to the other matching end, but it's not always, that would be to simple I guess, good luck.

That toyota was ridicules with vacuum hoses, all the same size running everywhere, and of course it runs terrible if even one is wrong.

I got it all running and about 6 months later my daughter wrecked it and bent the frame, she was OK but I wanted to kill her. Bought it back from the insurance company for $300, tore off the wrecked bed and built a flat bed for it made of wood and used it to haul stuff around the yard. Redneck I know but we were still doing landscaping and were always moving a lot of plants around, hundreds at a time.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 4

What ya got going on with the heads off??

I broke a piston skirt somehow. Engine supposedly has 100K on it.  I've pulled everything on this less the crank. After I get everything spotless, I'm going back in with new pistons, cam, oil pump, lifters, timing chain and sprockets, new ss headers, etc. Right now I'm using dawn detergent and hot water sparingly to wash these freshly deglazed bores.

Yes... Dawn is the right stuff to use on a fresh deglazed block.....

I have not cracked into a V8 in years......I pull the heads of some of the 4 cyl Honda's.... pull the oil pan and pop the pistons out and do a re-ring job with the block still in the car.

Someone stopped by one day while I was washing out the cylinders with my hot soapy Dawn water. They could not under stand why I was doing that. I told them it's the only way to remove all the grit from the cylinder walls....Then they said it looks I was using a toilet brush....I said it is. 

I have this round toilet brush I got 15 years ago it fits most of the Honda bores just right...

MKP :-)

• Like 5

A quick photo of my "little" project.

Had no idea you were this handy, or brave, not sure which, probably both. I don't mind the engine part so much it's all the wires and vacuum line that scare me the most. I have flashbacks from a Toyota pickup I did that had about 4 miles of vacuum lines, took me weeks to get it right, good thing it was an extra truck at the time.

Yea dtel....those old mid 80's Toyota's were hell with the vacuum hoses...They give you a "map" of the hoses but no numbers...all of the Honda's vacuum hoses have numbers on them.....still not easy.

Running though a diagnostics tree to hunt down a vacuum switch valve problem on those old cars was hell.

I was the guy back at the dealer that got all running problems when other techs could not fix it..... ahhh the days of carburetors and distributors....I'm glad there gone.....

• Like 6

I spent most of this morning busting concrete with a hammer and chisel.

You can rent a big electric demolition hammer ya know. :)

What fun is that?  I went maul and chisel as I didn't want to get into the water pipes.  I had to get my long handle splitting mall to bust out the old cast iron tub.  The cast iron tub was about 3/8" thick and tough as nails.  It fought me the whole way out.  After I busted it up into 4 pieces, I still had to use a dolly to get each piece out.  Here's a far view.  I'll go back with a shower only.  I've already replaces the insulation as there was an opening in the wall (courtesy of the home builder) that was perfect for lizards and bugs to enter and make themselves cozy.  The hole has been filled.

post-13087-0-26520000-1432605638_thumb.j

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 6

Good Memorial Day evening to everyone....

Just finished reading through the days posts and auto/truck and engine themes.... Wow, days of worn out engines seem to be part of an old past.... My recent long lived cars had great running engines... Everything around them goes south including the body....

Had a wonderful old Honda Accord (loaded 1986, cost just under 14k!!) and in 1999 when I bought a new Saturn, you could not even use a jack on the car, OR, I had to warn my rear seat passengers to NOT put weight on the floor when stepping in, else a foot could go through !!!!! But that little engine at 165k was wonderful, still had plenty of power.. Too bad reverse went on the auto trans, which caused the push, pull, tow in trade deal for the SL2 .....

Enjoy your evening my friends...... I am here in Music Hall listening to a great Aaron Copland recording to finish my long weekend, back to the grind tomorrow....

..........Gary

• Like 5

.......very nice Carl, can't wait to see the completed project..... I need a new vanity and toilet as well.... Paint will finish the ordeal nicely.... Keep us informed.....

Will do.  The bathroom was original to the house which would make it 40 years old.  It really needed it.  It will get new cabinets, granite tops, tile floor and shower, new lighting, wall texture, etc.  I just finished my daughters bathroom.  It takes me forever as I do everything myself (except the granite and cabinets) and only work on it on the weekends.  We're fortunate that we have another bath and a half to use in the mean time.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 6

Evening gang

Quite day, truck is fine and still looking at me as i walk out to the Cave.

Iced coffee W/Duggans is tasting mighty fine.

Wife just informed me she has a toothache, Soo, im eating her KitKat.

Looks like im driving to the Denist in the morning, Then a midtown Pub we dont get down to very often.

Time to go find her stash ice cream, i know it's in there somewhere........

• Like 4

Good Memorial Day evening to everyone....

Just finished reading through the days posts and auto/truck and engine themes.... Wow, days of worn out engines seem to be part of an old past.... My recent long lived cars had great running engines... Everything around them goes south including the body....

Had a wonderful old Honda Accord (loaded 1986, cost just under 14k!!) and in 1999 when I bought a new Saturn, you could not even use a jack on the car, OR, I had to warn my rear seat passengers to NOT put weight on the floor when stepping in, else a foot could go through !!!!! But that little engine at 165k was wonderful, still had plenty of power.. Too bad reverse went on the auto trans, which caused the push, pull, tow in trade deal for the SL2 .....

Enjoy your evening my friends...... I am here in Music Hall listening to a great Aaron Copland recording to finish my long weekend, back to the grind tomorrow....

..........Gary

Yea Tigerman....the 86-89 Accords were Great cars. Those were some of the 1st Honda's that we really started seeing super high mileage. My mom got one from one of my customers when I was back at the dealer. He sold it to her with over 250K on it....she drove it to about 290+k.... she gave it to me cuz she got a new car.....I drove it to about 310k....then sold it to a young kid for a couple bucks.

My eldest daughters 94 Accord has about 410 K and my youngest daughters 99 Civic has about 320 K.....

I've worked on both those cars when they had under 50 k on them....got them from my customers.

• Like 6