Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Todd...I switched to pre mixed gas in the can (red can) a 50:1 mix and I have not had the weed eater, chain saw, or blower fail to start.  The weed eater and blower are Stihl equipment and the chain saw a 20" Poulan.  Yep it's pricey but even after long cold winters they fire right up. 

That's exactly what I use.  In fact just picked up another bottle yesterday.  I stick with Stihl oils and Kubota oil with my tractor.  They are pricier, but they were pricier equipment investments to begin with, so like someone said, no point in saving a few bucks by going with off-brand oil and filters.  Sane with marine outboard motors.

Chuck, I just re-read this.  No I don't use the pre-mix, but do use the Stihl oil at 50:1 which I mix with no ethanol high octane gas.

Water just trickles out.

You may need to just rebuild the diverter valve then.  No need to shut the water off.

Not sure I understand.  If I take these out without shutting off the water, won't it spray like a fire hydrant?  There are two separate valves, one for hot and one for cold.  I think they are just clogged with soot.  I am on a private well, so I was going to shut off the breaker to my pump, and close the valve coming from the pressure bladder tank.  There is a shut off valve going TO my hat water heater, but not coming out of it, so I was going to close that valve to, to be on the safe side.

002_zpsmbvpr8bg.jpg

Edited by tnr
  • Like 4

To be clear, if this is a shower/tub combo, there will be a center knob (diverter valve).  You use it to direct the water to come out either the tub spout or the shower head.  It can come apart on the inside and stop water flow from both hot and cold sources.  This valve can be repaired or rebuilt without shutting the water off.

If it is a stand alone shower and there are only 2 knobs, the water has to be shut off prior to attempting any repairs.

• Like 4

It's a shower/jet tub combo with separate hot & cold handles.  I think they are American Standard brand.  Wouldn't I have to bust up the tile and durock (or drywall probably) to get to a diverter valve, if there is one?  We want to do a full remodel like you are doing, but need to wait until more lettuce grows.  For now, just would like to get it usable.  Thank you!  :)

005_zpsctpgetfz.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators
It's a shower/jet tub combo with separate hot & cold handles.

What's on the other side of that wall, is it somewhere you can just cut sheetrock out to access, this could make it much easier.

I hate plumbing, especially drain connections under sinks or showers/tubs.   :(

• Like 6

Ya'll be easy now on that plumbing...might last forever in time...

Good job, in my somewhat limited opinion. Try to do what I can,

with the tools I got.

Saying is, well hell sh%$ you know, I do the best job with the tools I got. People were amazed at my ability to do things without proper tools on hand, all of their life. Mine too!

Keep it between the lines...enjoy every word, No offense intended... Weekend job  ;)

There is another version coming soon, abbreviated...  :) Tools necessary at times.

• Like 8

Good morning everyone.

Lots of plumbing talk..... We have three full baths and happily, the house was build with the Temptrols in each one, knock on sheet rock, there has been no problems with them since the home was built in1979 (0; Now, the toilets are another matter and subject all together, right guys and gals ? I'm sure we've all been there ((((0

Time to get that coffee started, breakfast made, be about the day ...

More later my friends..

.......Gary

• Like 8

Good Sat Morning Gang, (Had to check the day)

Farm run was good yesterday, 100Amp panel is live and will slam some outlets/welder wiring next week.

Spent all last night and to the wee hours of this morning shopping Rc goodies and working on

"Crows Eyes" servo mechanics.

Ah yes, the ole Dremmel is about to get a workout, been awile since iv manned a workdesk.

Plumbing sucks, i do what needs to be done, but man if there is one trade i dont care to do it's plumbing. 

post-57941-0-91160000-1432990115_thumb.j

• Like 9

Cloudy here this morning but should clear up by noon.

Back from breakfast.  Ate at the bar with the regulars.  Two eggs over medium, 3 slices of bacon, potatoes.  Half way through the cook/owner puts a plate in front of me with two more strips of bacon.  He said my slices were a little puny :)

Jake fed and walked.  LF has her niece (29) and niece's friend (28) staying with her for the weekend.  Says they are lookers but I haven't seen then :(

Hope everyone has a fun weekend and as always....

Cheers Ladies :emotion-44: and Gents

• Like 9

Dam all out of coffee filters, who the heck is in charge of the inventory around here.

Ah plumbing, besides Mondays one of my favorite things in life.    I'll tell you this, the first time I installed a new toilet flange.  I didn't pay attention to the orientation of the bolt holes, needless to say I had to chisel it out and install a new one.  Fun, fun stuff.

As for today, well breakfast is still in order ( I had to vent about the coffee filters).  Then a baseball game at 10, maybe some yard work or trailer rewiring.  At 2 brakes on the aunts care, a quick pad and rotor job on a Caviler.  Then depending if the weather holds up, maybe some camping.  Well got to run, the belly is growing.

• Like 8

Morning gang...

Working on making the 2nd cup....for me it's going to be a long weekend. Before we left the shop last night me and the wife was looking at the schedule. I said what's up with the red X on Monday? She said it your birthday and I closed the shop.....man I got a good boss:-)

So I got some lawn work planed, gonna cut the grass and suck up some leaves......almost done with the leaves.....

Got plans to fire the grill up....man I love the grill...

So this plumbing thing......ahhhhhhh.....I don't do plumbing!! I fix cars, make money and pay my plumber buddy....lol lol

I don't do most stuff around the house.....I don't like it and if I don't like it I don't do it....plus if I take the money I can make at the shop per hour.....it doesn't make sense for me to fool with the house stuff.

Now I do like working in the yard, I find it relaxing riding my tractor cutting my weeds....

Ok guys....wishing all a great weekend..

MKP :-)

• Like 7

Ahhh...yes......plumbing ..... The best approach is to confidently state 'I don't mess with it' as though you just have better things to do. The truth is that I may not have enough homeowners coverage to take care of the !!%## - ups of which I am capable in this area. Usually get a buddy to 'help' while I supervise.

Pretty day and I'm heading outside for most of it. Need to hit Best Buy first and pick up a new 'puter first. Will keep you posted.

Cheers guys.

• Like 7

Man, just when Carl built up my courage last evening, I'm sitting here enjoying my 2nd cup of Highlander Grogg, reading the days posts, and you got my tail between my legs again.  Rainy here so I will shower and encourage wifey to shower so if things don't go well, and least we took our last showers.  Probably should fill every bucket we own with water too...just in case.  Maybe I should wait until Monday so in case I have to call in a real plumber, it's not at double time weekend rates.  Creative procrastination!   :(

250px-Cowardly_Lion.png

• Like 6