GOT EM,...... NEW TO ME Khorns in the house! :D

Great Score Cal! They are very nice. Could not have happened to a more deserving guy. Not to burst you bubble since the veneer is still stunning but they are not Brazilian Rosewood. The code on the label would have been KB-BRL vs. KB-RL. I have had three pairs of Klipschorn's. The first pair were KB-OO (Oiled Oak) and they replaced a pair of Belle's in Oak Lacquer with cane grills. The bass response did improve going from the Belle to the Klipschorn. I have also owned a pair of KB-WO and KB-BR they all got sold to other forum members. For the time being I am content with my La Scala trio up front. Enjoy!

Put some pipe insulation on the tailboards (if not already present) and edges of the top hat to seal them up to the wall a little better.

Good morning all :D

RL according to the posted code, is Rosewood Laquer. IKD but just two days ago, I made a tool for my son out of Brazilian rosewood that I know for a fact is BR. The faces of the bins look as if they were pealed off the same log of wood as my known sample of BR, so IDK but that is close enough for me :~

As it is still morning, they are playing low, Hell freezes over by the Eagles, they are sounding much more balanced than they did last night at higher volume. They still can stand to move a little further into bass but it is much better so as mentioned above, dropping the mids/highs by a few DB seems to be a lot of the answer.

OK, just exactly what part of the backs need to be sealed? FZN mentioned the tail boards, is that pretty much it or is there more to it?

It is indeed a different bass than the direct radiator, I suppose I am mostly missing the chest thump of the Cornwalls.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, at last I am "part of the club" of horn bass owners, all of my other speakers are DR and I love them, these new horns are fitting in very well. I suppose my bass question is similar to the new owners of say Forte or Heresy speakers, looking for the full sound they know that are in the speakers but do not know how to set them up properly. So to make a comment that may be posted by one of them, they sound great now and I am sure they will be even better when properly setup.

A comment about last night, my son who has KG5.5s driven by a Dennon AVR (I made sure that his "room speakers" in the navy would be top-O-the heap) so he knows what sounds good. He has been out for about 2 months now, and as his room here at home is smaller than the room he had in the navy, his setup is in storage. Anyway, he had some digital music recorded to his phone that he wanted to hear, the car system hid all the defects, the Khorns just caused him to have a headache! Seriously, after he listened to most of what he wanted, it was so poor, he just stopped listening and went to his room to recover! (it was pretty bad, the mids were really distorted and confused) He made the comment that now he needs to find better recordings!

OK, so just what exact parts need to be sealed? Sorry for the "dumb" question from someone who has been here a few years :~

Edited by Cal Blacksmith

Cal,

Awesome looking with the rosewood!

A couple of thoughts come to mind. One would be to check the polarity. This could cause the bass to disappear. Plus, loosen and tighten all the connections.

Being tight in the corners would be the most ideal, but I remember a friend of mine who has some SK Horns. He had them set into the room about three feet from the corners and the bass was still incredible.

Bruce

Glad that you got them and congrats. They are really nice looking speakers.

Put some new caps in the crossovers and drop down about 2 or 3 db on the tweeter and mid. I had the same experience. Once the top end was attenuated, they had plenty of bass.

Thanks, caps are easy and not all that expensive in the large picture. At a Klipsch gathering in SoCal several years ago, I remember that the mids/highs were adjusted, it was something to do with which jumper went where in the crossover? I have never played with them before so I will soak up all the advice the more wise in the ways of the crossover, have :D

The ALK's can be adjusted by movign wires, but I think only the midrange. If I remember correctly, on the Type A (or AA) you need to change the cap values too because it goes through the autoformer.

Congratulations on the Klipschorns. They are beautiful!

My friendly advice .... Just spend a few weeks listening to them and enjoying them. If they need tweaking or re-freshing, there is plenty of time for that later on.

I always ask this question. When you finally got them set up properly and had some time to relax and enjoy the music, what did you play?

Enjoy,

-Tom

• Like 1

congrats on the speakers, i just got a new to me pair of k-horns too. mine are 1995 vintake in oil walnut. very happy overall with them, but youre not alone noticeing the "different" bass they have. its not like the direct radiating & can even make some think they lack bass or cause you to hear the mids overwhelm everything. with your x-overs i think dropping the mid a few db's will help a lot. mine have ak-3 xovers & from what ive read are not as easy to drop the mid section. what helped with mine was having a pre amp that boosted the bass in only the lower freq, 20-100hz, woke them up alot.

as for how & where to seal them, here a link to me asking that when i got mine home, great pic of where to add the pipe foam... on the upper horizontal board, i chose not to use pipe foam as it stuck out too far & didnt allow the vertical tail board edges to touch the wall, so i used some softer 1/2" thick foam strip with the stick backing, works perfect & did help the bass tighten up a bit. good luck & enjoy!

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/148027-help-with-new-to-me-k-horns/

Edited by klipschfancf4
  • Like 1

holy cow... I didnt realize those were rosewood... VERY NICE!

does anyone know what rosewood Klipsch was using in 1978? I say this because 1978 is post brasilian rosewood ban... unless you're company had a supply that was certified.

I can not see the grain really well in those original pictures and I could be incorrect, but they look like Indian Rosewood and opposed to Brasilian rosewood(this comes from decades of guitar playing/buying).

another edit... I didn't see the second page posts above before posting my question about rosewood usage.

on truck.jpg

I would have loved to have seen this driving down the road... I would have been all over you honking and giving you thumbs up!!!

Edited by Schu

Cal Blacksmith,

Awesome! You got'em. I am very happy for you and know now they have a good home. I read somewhere, I think it was on that fact sheet that explains all the dates etc... that the rosewood veneer may be Honduran as opposed to Brazilian. But who cares as long as they beautiful, which they appear to be. Who'd a thunk it, a beautiful pair of KHorns basically just around the corner from you. The Akita is not the only lucky dog :)

Eric

P.S. I will PM you--this is a warning

xover.jpg

For such beautiful rosewood cabinets... I think you might want to seriously consider getting a upgraded set of Cross Overs there Cal.

those things might sound okay since you just got your new Klipschorns, but believe me if you take the time to work with a quality person like Dean of Alteheia Audio, you would never be sorry. His skill and handiwork can really make those klipschorns world class again.

after years, those OEM crossovers tend to loose their luster and a set of new modernized and perhaps even component upgraded Cross Overs will make you never want to own anything else.

I would love to hear a set of Jupiter Cap constructed XO's in your cabinets.

One more pic of the Xover. The last owner babied these speakers, there was not a spec of dust anyplace not even in the corner of the upper box :D

UH, I long ago lost the link to serial numbers and manufacture dates, does anyone have it handy ?

Thanks!

Oooooohhhhh, and Rosewood Lacquered, too, Noticed that right away. My favorite. Mrs. Valerie Klipsch (Paul's Widow) has a pair of those in her house too! Two Walnut Khorns, a Walnut Belle, and the Rosewoods. Mono Jubilee next to piano in next room also.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Just listen for more definition and detail in the bass, especially the foot pedal from any drummer. The Eagles recording on Hotel California, you should a slightly higher drum pitch on the second beat each time, right after the opening guitars, which horns handle well, but many DR's mush together.

Eric, I just sent you my contact info.

Schu, I agree about the xovers. At the least I was going to order a rebuild kit from Bob Crites and likely upgrade them at the same time. I think I would be honking too if I saw them moving to a new home myself :D

KfancF4 thanks for the link, that made it so much easier to understand what I need to do to seal them :D

Tom, well, I started with Linda Ronstadts Your no good followed by Silver Bells and Golden needles as they were the first and second songs I ever heard on Khorns way back in'77, tradition I guess :D then I moved to Eagles Hotel cal on the hell freezes over album. then it gets a. Bit fuzzy some light Jazz. This morning was the whole Hell freezes over CD at a lower level though.

Claude thanks I am pretty jazzed about them!

Congrats, but awe shi#$#!@@ You need a bunch of mods, those crossovers are old, as I am. You need updated woofers, a new tube amp, some risers, new seats, toilet bowls, special TP, a better rug, etc. I like your pickup, don't change a thing except the oil every 5-8 thousand miles conditions depending. Cheers!

yeah those pics helped me out a lot too. the tailboards came with a rubber sealing strip but most are long gone by now.

if you like the eagles & if you have the cd with it on there... check out "those shoes" very good song for testing up louder, it has great bass & some electronic peter frampton style guitar. i'm not sure what cd it was on originally but its on my "very best of" 2 cd set, pretty good recording too. sounds great up loud on mine. same with paul simon's graceland cd, so far thats the best recorded cd i have played for the rock genre..

Edited by klipschfancf4
  • Like 1