Dobly Atmos

Schu

I totally agree about the gimmicky thing, Gary....spot on.

What's gonna be a shame is all the Atmos HTIB systems that go even cheaper to support having more speakers.....

You ever heard a Dolby atmos cinema?

I understand the cinema application, but the "at home" and especially "on the go" scenarios seem more about brand recognition and marketing to me.

Quite simply, I'd rather have fewer channels of higher quality than more channels of lower quality. Very few people have rooms large enough to suspend Jubilees from the ceiling...let alone high enough to achieve proper coverage and coherency.

I agree I have been happy with 5.1, I have only ran wiring for 9.1 do to the fact I can.  Other then that I don't know if I will even install speakers. 

I totally agree about the gimmicky thing, Gary....spot on.

What's gonna be a shame is all the Atmos HTIB systems that go even cheaper to support having more speakers.....

You ever heard a Dolby atmos cinema?

I understand the cinema application, but the "at home" and especially "on the go" scenarios seem more about brand recognition and marketing to me.

Quite simply, I'd rather have fewer channels of higher quality than more channels of lower quality. Very few people have rooms large enough to suspend Jubilees from the ceiling...let alone high enough to achieve proper coverage and coherency.

Well, I imagine most Home Theaters couldn't accommodate 5 Jubilees....Fwiw, I have a small room that couldn't fit anything larger than RF-7s up front, not to mention smaller speakers in the other locations.  Then again, a dedicated theater with a transparent screen and 5 larger Heritage speakers would be hard to beat....I never heard Indykilpschfan's HT but did he gain anything by adding the two rear Lascalas for his 7 speaker HT?

Edited by tkdamerica

The future is headphones and bass transducers.  You heard it here first!

I've kind of wondered about this (and perhaps this has already been mentioned or even done?)

What about goggles?

Each person can have their own pair of goggles.  The goggles are their own little movie screens. 

Dolby atmos.......Let's see .....We would all need to buy a new processor....Then instead of buying new speakers......now listen carefully.....we all turn our speakers on their back sides and point the drivers toward the ceiling .....then we calibrate.......done.... No wait.....2016 comes along Dolby Labs introduces an upgrade to Atmos....Called Dolby Atmosphere

Edited by oldred

I understand making fun of advertising gimmicks that persuade folks into spending money needlessly, but otoh there are people who want improvements when possible to their listening at home pleasure...That said, I have no idea the actual benefits of Dolby Atmos and they may indeed be user specific insofar as it's an "upgrade," or not.

Fwiw, going from 2 channel to 5.1 was a tremendous upgrade, whereas going to 7.1 was marginal in the beginning but I have come to appreciate it more when I experiment without the 2 rear channels....I also feel adding Heights was even less of an upgrade but more of a lateral move until I found the right setting in the AVR and now am glad I went that route...YMMV and I for one am waiting to see how Dolby Atmos pans out in Home Theater, but as Bonehead seemed to insinuate, it has been a success in Theaters.  

• Like 1

I've always stayed with the surrounds being at least 2 ft above my listening position and a diffused sound field.

We must be cut from the same cloth.   I prefer the surrounds high and use a PLIIz system.  I even point my mains slightly off axis.  I don't think it is necessary or sound the best with all the speakers shooting at your ears unless you are into target practice, lol.  With these large Klipsch systems for most of us, hearing the speakers is the least of our concerns.

• Like 1

I've always stayed with the surrounds being at least 2 ft above my listening position and a diffused sound field.

We must be cut from the same cloth.   I prefer the surrounds high and use a PLIIz system.  I even point my mains slightly off axis.  I don't think it is necessary or sound the best with all the speakers shooting at your ears unless you are into target practice, lol.  With these large Klipsch systems for most of us, hearing the speakers is the least of our concerns.

Fwiw, I also use Dolby PLIIz for both movies and music...It wasn't until I read others say they thought the surround speakers got too loud in the PLIIx music mode that I realized there wasn't a specific movie or music mode with PLiiz and that surround information gets split between the surrounds, rears and the height speakers and sounds great with both music and movies (not nearly as much excess volume)....I guess that is why Dolby went with "Dolby Surround" in their Atmos processing and not have a separate designation as before.

Btw, I use RB-5 bookshelf speakers because direct radiating is recommended but was going to try switching them out with a pair of RS-3s that I have laying around and could use the RB-5s in another room--Do you think the RS-35 Height speakers add anything/much to your system?

Yes, the FH RS 35's deliver as much vol as a comparable bookshelf.  They are easier to hang and add a nice touch to some movies and music.  They add a vertical dimension to the soundstage to better cover the front stage.  Most of our hearing is directed to the front stage.

Yes, the FH RS 35's deliver as much vol as a comparable bookshelf.  They are easier to hang and add a nice touch to some movies and music.  They add a vertical dimension to the soundstage to better cover the front stage.  Most of our hearing is directed to the front stage.

Thanks for sharing that bit of information and I may give the RS-3s a try because now the RB-5s are sitting high up on a ledge on their side angled to the MLP and the former weigh considerably less and would be easier to position...

Your last comment brought up something interesting that happened the other day while appreciating "Hotel California" on the Eagles !st Farewell Tour--I have heard this concert many times and was always amazed at how well everything blended on our Home Theater...One of the cool aspects of the opening sequence is that the trumpet is mainly coming out of the rear speakers, but sounds like it's coming from the front. Honestly you don't realize it (and only if you are over-analyzing it) until the guitars pick up from the front and how spacious everything sounds.

Anyway, I invited my wife to come in and listen and asked her during the opening where she heard the trumpet and she motioned towards the front soundstage in a blissful way...When I told her to turn her head to the side her eyes got big and said, "Wow! It's  actually coming from the rear speakers--Cool!" 

Edited by tkdamerica

All I know is that I've grown to be bored with 5.1 audio.  It's great for plain music, but a movie?  Today's movies have CRAZY mess going on.  5.1 ought to be the bare minimum for when you watch a second rate movie on NetFlix.  The idea that I'd be content with the idea that best that audio engineers can offer is that some side speakers come on, just like they did in the late 90's?  Silliness.  We can do better.  Seriously, that was 17 years ago.  I am perfectly content with the idea that progress is happening in surround sound formats. 

• Like 1

All I know is that I've grown to be bored with 5.1 audio.  It's great for plain music, but a movie?  Today's movies have CRAZY mess going on.  5.1 ought to be the bare minimum for when you watch a second rate movie on NetFlix.  The idea that I'd be content with the idea that best that audio engineers can offer is that some side speakers come on, just like they did in the late 90's?  Silliness.  We can do better.  Seriously, that was 17 years ago.  I am perfectly content with the idea that progress is happening in surround sound formats. 

Yep--But 5.1 Multichannel Music REALLY sounds awesome being converted to "9.2" using Dolby PLIIz in our Home Theater! :P

You might want to wait... I know I am going to wait for 2.2 to be fully implemented.

"HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection. HDCP requires that each HDMI connection establish a unique link between the two devices, often called a handshake. This "handshake" trades encrypted codes between the devices so that you can't plug your Blu-ray player into a recorder and rip a copy. Many of the problems that we hear people having with their HDMI devices comes from this handshake failing.

HDCP 2.2 is all about protecting 4k content. That means if you want to stick with 1080p for the time being, you don't have to worry about HDCP 2.2. If you do want 4k content, every device in your video chain must have HDCP 2.2. This will be true in the future where content will be HDCP 2.2 encrypted. Non-2.2 encrypted content will not apply.

The problem we've seen is that people are assuming that anything with HDMI 2.0 will have HDCP 2.2. So far, that has not been the case. Our research has shown that there are no devices currently offered that have both a full HDMI 2.0 implementation and HDCP 2.2.

Right now, if you've bought (or are thinking of buying) a new receiver from the likes of Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha, you may see HDMI 2.0 on the specification sheet. This is a full 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 port meaning you can realize all the additional benefits of HDMI 2.0. But they don't have HDCP 2.2 so future content may or may not be limited.

On the flip side, new Onkyo receivers are listed with HDCP 2.2. What they aren't telling you is that the HDMI 2.0 implementation is limited to 10.2Gbps (just like HDMI 1.4). While this allows the Onkyo receiver to pass the HDCP 2.2 handshake, it will limit how much data can be passed, negating many of the benefits of HDMI 2.0.

If the device does NOT show HDCP 2.2 compatibility, when native 4k content arrives, your device will not accept it.

If you are shopping for a 4k display, you'll want to look for HDCP 2.2 compatibility as well as resolution and bit depth. Match the display's capabilities with the HDMI 2.0 maximums, and you should be good to go. If the display does NOT show HDCP 2.2 compatibility, when native 4k content arrives, your display will not accept it. On receivers, you'll want to check how many of their inputs/outputs are HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 enabled. Right now, manufacturers are limiting the maximum number to decrease costs. With limited bandwidth on some HDMI 2.0 terminals and lack of HDCP 2.2 on others, you may have to send video directly from your Blu-ray player to your display (bypassing your receiver) if you buy one of the first generation HDMI 2.0 receivers.

Conclusion

HDCP 2.2 must be on a HDMI 2.0 terminal but not all HDMI connections support the full HDMI 2.0 spec. It is a confusing time as HDMI 2.0 is only now hitting the market. In a year or two, HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 will be ubiquitous. For now, consumers need to purchase with care lest they end up with a device that will become obsolete when native 4k content arrives.  If you truly care about native 4k, then make sure ALL of your equipment that you plan on transmitting it through has the hardware support.  If the new HDTV or AV Receiver you are contemplating  buying now doesn't support HDCP 2.2, you may want to hold off for the next product cycle which is usually 8-10 months for AV receivers and HDTVs. "

excerpt from:

http://www.audioholics.com/hdtv-formats/hdmi-2.0-hdcp-2.2

Edited by ellisr63
  • Like 3

Well, I imagine most Home Theaters couldn't accommodate 5 Jubilees....Fwiw, I

Rigma has 7 

Well, I still contend most people's couldn't but he would also be a person to ask along with Indy and Doc (in my original post) if they felt adding the two rears was an upgrade to the original 5--I bet it was.