What is more accurate horns or cones

mdross1

In my case, I've found that the weakest is the recordings themselves 99%+ of the time.

Considering that your percentage is so high, would it be fair to ask if the playback system used when drawing those conclusions somehow might be the culprit and not the music itself?

For years it has been said on this forum that a good speaker reveals the flaws in bad music While there are many merits to that idea, I have found several cases where the speaker has been the culprit (or something else about the system). Take for instance, the Khorn. All of the arguments being made here about horns are true for the Khorn, and there is no shortage of people making the same "garbage in / garbage out" justification about hearing bad sound. It's been a lingering question of mine whether or not the speaker or the music should be considered "at fault" - especially knowing there was no way the artists would ever release something they thought sounded bad when they heard it in the studio...When the Jubilee came around, I realized a lot of that "bad music" all of a sudden started sounding very good on the Jubilee. It is not hard to make an objective argument for the superiority of the Jubilee - and I bring that up because here we have an example of the previous speaker being the culprit. The Jubilee (like anything in the audio world) is not without its compromises - thus why I have a signature reminding myself of that.

Anyways, if we are going to claim that 99% of the music sounds like crap through our systems, then I would suggest one of two things must be true:

1. Wrong expectations of the playback system.
  2. 99% of the world has different listening tastes.

I would be embarrassed to say that 99% of the music sounds bad on my system - and you're making it a point of pride and justification for your decisions. I certainly don't mean for this to be confrontational - although I know that's how I come off most times and I'm working on improving my writing skills. I just don't get how we can share in our understanding of theory or our experiences if you're going to turn around and say the music I enjoy and have great emotional connection with is somehow crap. I'm over here having a blast with a much lessor system - and isn't that the point of it all? All the techno babble is just a means to a very subjective / emotional end.

I just like good music and do whatever it takes with my system to maximize that enjoyment.

In my case, I've found that the weakest is the recordings themselves 99%+ of the time.

Considering that your percentage is so high, would it be fair to ask if the playback system used when drawing those conclusions somehow might be the culprit and not the music itself?...For years it has been said on this forum that a good speaker reveals the flaws in bad music While there are many merits to that idea, I have found several cases where the speaker has been the culprit (or something else about the system).

...When the Jubilee came around, I realized a lot of that "bad music" all of a sudden started sounding very good on the Jubilee. It is not hard to make an objective argument for the superiority of the Jubilee - and I bring that up because here we have an example of the previous speaker being the culprit. The Jubilee (like anything in the audio world) is not without its compromises - thus why I have a signature reminding myself of that.

Anyways, if we are going to claim that 99% of the music sounds like crap through our systems, then I would suggest one of two things must be true:

I would be embarrassed to say that 99% of the music sounds bad on my system - and you're making it a point of pride and justification for your decisions.

I certainly don't mean for this to be confrontational - although I know that's how I come off most times and I'm working on improving my writing skills. I just don't get how we can share in our understanding of theory or our experiences if you're going to turn around and say the music I enjoy and have great emotional connection with is somehow crap. I'm over here having a blast with a much lessor system - and isn't that the point of it all? All the techno babble is just a means to a very subjective / emotional end.

I just like good music and do whatever it takes with my system to maximize that enjoyment.

Well, I guess that I should be more careful in my expressions of this type. What I meant to say is that 99% of the time, I'm not aware of the potentially spectacular performance levels of the Jubs (and the other 5 speakers in my 5.2 setup) for realistic performance.

Most music that I play sounds very good, but there are a few recorded discs (mostly in 24/96 on Blu-Ray) and downloaded high-resolution music files that are truly outstanding, even to the point that I'm still amazed by what they can do. That's what I meant to say. Sorry if I communicated the wrong impression. Many of the discs that have been recommended to me as audiophile demonstration discs aren't in the class of the best discs that I've found.

So my comment that you quoted above is meant to point to the potential for greatly increased fidelity of recordings, like nothing that I've experienced before. This is a message of a bright future, not a condemnation of the present state of the art. There are only a handful of recordings that show up the deficiencies of my setup - and that's okay. I've arrived at a state after six and a half years of building up the system where I feel satisfied. Good timing as it turns out.

I try to share my lessons learned so others can avoid them. The general level of affluence seems to be declining for younger generations (Millennials and Gen-Xers in this country). I believe that much is yet to be done in the business of hi-fi to reduce costs but to continue to increase overall fidelity.

I also understand the possible context of your comments about having "very few good recordings" based on our past discussions. I agree with your comments, since I was dissatisfied with my Jubs playing all kinds of music for at least three years before I began to get the setup in good enough shape to play almost anything on them and still sound good. It shouldn't be that difficult to get them sounding good, IMHO. It's my objective to help to reduce this timeline for others that may be interested in the type of system that I've collected.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

• Klipsch Employees

Considering that your percentage is so high, would it be fair to ask if the playback system used when drawing those conclusions somehow might be the culprit and not the music itself?

For years it has been said on this forum that a good speaker reveals the flaws in bad music While there are many merits to that idea, I have found several cases where the speaker has been the culprit (or something else about the system). Take for instance, the Khorn. All of the arguments being made here about horns are true for the Khorn, and there is no shortage of people making the same "garbage in / garbage out" justification about hearing bad sound. It's been a lingering question of mine whether or not the speaker or the music should be considered "at fault" - especially knowing there was no way the artists would ever release something they thought sounded bad when they heard it in the studio...When the Jubilee came around, I realized a lot of that "bad music" all of a sudden started sounding very good on the Jubilee. It is not hard to make an objective argument for the superiority of the Jubilee - and I bring that up because here we have an example of the previous speaker being the culprit. The Jubilee (like anything in the audio world) is not without its compromises - thus why I have a signature reminding myself of that.

• Wrong expectations of the playback system.
  • 99% of the world has different listening tastes.
I would be embarrassed to say that 99% of the music sounds bad on my system - and you're making it a point of pride and justification for your decisions. I certainly don't mean for this to be confrontational - although I know that's how I come off most times and I'm working on improving my writing skills. I just don't get how we can share in our understanding of theory or our experiences if you're going to turn around and say the music I enjoy and have great emotional connection with is somehow crap. I'm over here having a blast with a much lessor system - and isn't that the point of it all? All the techno babble is just a means to a very subjective / emotional end.

I like to hear good music and have to make it sound good on my system but most of it, dare I say 99%, is definitely not reference and recorded like crap.

• Klipsch Employees
"I assume that's a rhetorical question. Perhaps you should start your own thread on the specifics of what you clearly object to in your quoted statement."

Are you serious? You're talking authoritatively on this topic, and you seem to have no problem fielding questions from others. So, if one agrees, they can stay in the thread, but it they disagree, they should start their own thread![/quotes

Silly Chris. Deang is the authority...

I like to hear good music and have to make it sound good on my system but most of it, dare I say 99%, is definitely not reference and recorded like crap.

If that comment were true for me, I would have to either find either:

1) another system to listen to my music on

2) another way to enjoy my free time

While most of my music collection is not "reference" quality, a very high percentage of it sounds darn good. I have actually revisited recordings with my Cornscalas that I had written off in the past as being unlistenable only to find that now I can enjoy them.

So if you only have 1% that is not "recorded like crap", you have some investigative work to do. Something is surely amiss.........

Shakey

Edited by Shakeydeal

I'm no authority, just another guy with opinions.

Mike, the Jubilee is the most horrendous sounding loudspeaker I've ever heard while playing highly compressed recordings. Period. It was the primary reason I had no trouble saying goodbye to them. If the LF section builds would have exhibited some attention to detail, I might have kept those - at any rate - the LaScalas I currently have are infinitely more forgiving. Let that one sink in for a minute. Just an opinion mind you.

Edited by DeanG

Most of my music is Classic Rock and a lot of newer stuff, all pretty hard - it's what I like to listen to. I'm not about to start listening to "great Jazz recordings" or whatever so I can enjoy my loudspeakers. The goal is to enjoy the music I like, so in my case, I simply took a performance steps backwards to get better sound with my recordings.

Hmm interesting points and valid. But I don't have Jubilee's and I'd say 99% of the music that plays nearly 16 hours a day through my system sounds fantastic...

Most of my music is Classic Rock and a lot of newer stuff, all pretty hard - it's what I like to listen to. I'm not about to start listening to "great Jazz recordings" or whatever so I can enjoy my loudspeakers. The goal is to enjoy the music I like, so in my case, I simply took a performance steps backwards to get better sound with my recordings Deano,

You should give good blues a try.... most rock rollers have there roots in blues.... the shite just plain rocks! I'm so tired of rock and roll actually have been for years. Broaden those horizons son! Some Jazz is pretty damn cool also...just not the random horn blowing crap. You need to get out into some audio related events more.

Most of my music is Classic Rock and a lot of newer stuff, all pretty hard - it's what I like to listen to. I'm not about to start listening to "great Jazz recordings" or whatever so I can enjoy my loudspeakers. The goal is to enjoy the music I like, so in my case, I simply took a performance steps backwards to get better sound with my recordings Deano,

You should give good blues a try.... most rock rollers have there roots in blues.... the shite just plain rocks! I'm so tired of rock and roll actually have been for years. Broaden those horizons son! Some Jazz is pretty damn cool also...just not the random horn blowing crap. You need to get out into some audio related events more.

According to Ginger Baker, Jazz and Blues is the same thing.

Mike, the Jubilee is the most horrendous sounding loudspeaker I've ever heard while playing highly compressed recordings. Period. It was the primary reason I had no trouble saying goodbye to them. If the LF section builds would have exhibited some attention to detail, I might have kept those - at any rate - the LaScalas I currently have are infinitely more forgiving. Let that one sink in for a minute. Just an opinion mind you.

That surprises me actually.

Last summer some friends and I were visiting Heinz in Germany and were listening to some tunes over grooveshark. I think it might have been Ace of Base? Definitely not audiophile stuff. It sounded very good.....so much so we couldn't believe it was grooveshark.

Obviously better recordings sounded better, but nothing that day sounded bad.

Heinz is running some old school tube amps and a really nice active xover, all in a different room than you've probably ever heard Jubilees. Is it possible any of that could be the difference? Oh, I forgot to mention using a USB sound card with my laptop.

• Like 1

Just got back from a month of R&R and finished reading all the posts. Thank you all for your responses.

I have a good choice of speakers to play with just getting the cob webs off everything and wanting fresh opinions.

Plan on building a pair of Bill Fitzmaurice subs, to help our LaScalla's if that is the way we go. Also have a pair of Heresy's,and a pair of Peavey SP5's. Once the horn subs are finished will let my ears be the judge.

Was interesting to read about the power handling ability of horns with 1" throat compared to horns with 2" throat. Our system is bi-amped with 125wpc powering the mids and highs will have to focus on that. Without a pair of 2" throat horns cannot compare.

Mike Ross

You guys sound like a buch of lawyers taking things so literally.

I'm going to go throw up... :emotion-41:

That surprises me actually.

Last summer some friends and I were visiting Heinz in Germany and were listening to some tunes over grooveshark. I think it might have been Ace of Base? Definitely not audiophile stuff. It sounded very good.....so much so we couldn't believe it was grooveshark.

Obviously better recordings sounded better, but nothing that day sounded bad.

Heinz is running some old school tube amps and a really nice active xover, all in a different room than you've probably ever heard Jubilees. Is it possible any of that could be the difference? Oh, I forgot to mention using a USB sound card with my laptop.

Here is my room -- way back when With practically no room treatments, it sounded great. The Jubilees were quite a bit taller, with the 402s just touching the sidewalls. I was told that the 402s would do great in a small room - pattern control and all that. It sounded good as long as I didn't turn it up very loud, and highly compressed material never got played again after the first try -- stuff the Klipschorns had no trouble with. I found myself listening to stuff I didn't even like that much just so I could enjoy the loudspeaker. I then developed a sensitivity to something going on with the K-69-A, and I'm convinced it's a titanium diaphragm related thing -- it's a mechanically contrived sound that just grates on my nerves and reminds me of clanking dinnerware and fingernails down the chalkboard. I've been snatching up Atlas dual phase plug K-55-Vs off of eBay, because you know what -- those things sound infinitely better.

post-1106-0-73960000-1405233117_thumb.jp

Edited by DeanG

There are better horn sub options if you haven't already decided on the Fitzmaurice stuff...

Still waiting to preview a couple different BFM subs before I consider anything what would their weakness be? My search is for a sub that will fit our floor plan first considered opening up the doghouse on our LaScalla's for the extension box,then the quarter pie but it has just too many square ft. Certainly open for suggestions.

Mike Ross