What do you do for a living?

Chad

I worked in operations analysis for 37 years. Now I clean house, buy grocs and try to keep the Chihuahuas happy. My wife is still in information security.

Whereabouts? I worked in Grand Prairie (missiles) as an OAer from 86-90.

I worked as a Paramedic for Ontario ministry of health for 4 yrs, while I went to school to get my Occupational health and safety degree. From there I became an on set Paramedic for Major motion pictures for 18 yrs becoming the Healthy and safety rep for Universal pictures here in Canada. Unforessen circumstances changed and I went back to University and acquired International certification in Drug and Alcohol counselling. I now manage and facilitate an aftercare program for a prominent treatment center here in Toronto.
I've loved every job I've had.
Great thread Chad.

• Like 1

I am the CEO of a medium sized nonprofit that has a nationally accredited Substance Abuse Treatment Residential Program, a separate homeless shelter. Currently building a low-income supportive housing complex for those getting back on their feet. 449 days until at least semi-retirement in Arizona.

• Like 2

Audio Circuitry Engineer for Shure Inc.

Here are the last two big projects I worked on:

http://www.axient.net/en/advanced-power-management/

img_power_management_group.jpg

The advanced power management is my baby, but I have a big hand in the transmitters too.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/mixers-dsp/scm820-digital-intellimix-automatic-mixer

prod_img_SCM820_l.jpg

It's awesome getting paid to do your hobby....I just hope I don't get burned out on it.

• Like 1

Love your stuff Mung. Can you travel, or is this type of business just too local due to trusted subs, etc?

Thanks! We typically don't travel too far from Portland, with the coast being about as far as we'll go. Anything that distance or further means living away from home during the week, which can be a blessing or a curse.

Our design team is less limited, with projects in Hawaii, and as far away as Morocco.

It's very satisfying to work on this end of the spectrum, with some designs being built in the $2000 per square foot range. Not for everybody's pocketbook, and nothing speculative.

• Like 1

My wife and I are in the Iron and steel business, she irons, and I steal. No all bs aside,

Service manager at a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram store. I guess the other half of the story is what our significant others do as well. My wife is the manager of the medical records department at a local hospital. There would be no disposable income or elaborate (to me anyways) audio systems in our house on a single income. We've been truly blessed as I've never been to college and my wife went 2 years through a vocational nurses program yet we can pay the bills and have a little left over for hobbies and the occasional travel.

We have kind of the same thing going on, but I am a shop supervisor kind of in between a service writer and a service manager. Though our service manager sucks and has no idea whats going on. I work for a CAT rental store, and my wife works for medical institute as a finance analyst.

In our encore careers, my wife and I own a small business. The hours are flexible but long. It's nice being the bosses, but we're also the bossed.

Comes with the territory. My dad got out of the corp race and opened his own construction business in 1992 and he lamented over the same thing-being the boss and being bossed. I worked for him for years and we had a great time working together and the people who you built for just took it all out of you...