What do you do for a living?

Chad

I have been a mechanic for 30+ years. Started out in aviation, helicopters. I was draging my *** with my FAA license, so I got canned! Yea I was young. Found a job at a Honda dealership and stayed with Honda for the last 26+ years. I own my own shop, 90% of my work is Honda/Acura. It is just me and my wife. I have no other mechanics that work for me. I also have a kick *** tunes at the shop -Carver TFM 42 drives my Klipsch KP 360s' and two subs. www.millcreekmotorworks.com That's me :-)

• Like 2

attachicon.gifFirstIBMPC.jpgSpeaking of what we do, I've had more than one question me about my claim of running AutoCAD on a dual floppy XT. Ran across this picture from my home office in Singapore. That is about a 1,000.00 worth of 9.7 MHz XT with math coprocessor. Obviously not AutoCAD running here, but note the book to the right.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the pic. That makes me smile. That case looks so familiar, too. a turbo XT was my first machine. It was a sweetheart.

Yezzir. Added a 10mb HDD later that year and figured I was set for life...

Dave

Cat herder. Oh no wait, that was my last job.

Now they are just running amok. THANKS A LOT

For over 26 years with humongous international computer services company, 5 4 19, that had the Cat Herder commercial, with real cowboys and cats. Nobody had any idea what we did or who we were... but loved the commercial. The next one that I think virtually nobody saw was rebuilding a large passenger jet in mid flight which was pretty cool, followed by the Running Of The Squirrels commercial which was probably seen even less made one think the ad agency was smokin' or snortin' some sort of recreational pharmaceutical product.

So I'm a cat herder too. Just the cats are different.... trying to get client requirements for any IT project before the expect you to build a new system or enhance it or keeping their requirements in line with their budget... paying for a Yugo, expecting a Corvette.

Chad. Amy may not have told you, but you can't herd cats. It's impossible.

Amy did do a very good job of keeping us ornery kitties of the Klipsch cattery in line but cats as any cat servant knows, cats will do what they want. The best you can do is persuade and distract them.

Your work is cut out for ya mang. Maybe some Klipsch treats every now and then will distract us from our ornery running amok way. lol

5 4 19, founded by that crazy little Texan with big ears that loved pie charts who ran for POTUS a few years back.that was later swallowed up by an even more ginormous computer hardware company, 8 16 for the past 2 to 4 years. Not the Itty Bitty Machine company (9 2 13) whose hardware and computin' machine operatin' systems, database software I work on. Needless to say it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out my days there were numbered.

I'm a big iron aka mainframe computin' machine programmer, analyst, database administrator, configuration management administrator, security administrator, disaster recovery dude, systems interface etc over the years. Jack of all trades big iron, maybe even master of a few with a lot of knowledge a "normal" programmer / analyst doesn't know about having worked with the systems programmers quite a bit over the years. .

Took the early retirement as I was going to get laid off and the early retirement option was a lot better than severance if viewed as severance.

Pretty much out of work for about a year during which time I had a hip replaced and was a bit of a slug finally gettin' the old job search going. A short work exile before my "retirement" date didn't help in the gather up and organize all the documentation I'd created over the years so my soon to be former co-workers had a clue about the stuff I did they didn't know much about and often didn't want to learn.

I now work for a relatively small computin' machine contracting firm as a sub contractor on state of Indiana FSSA eligibiligy project, basically backfill for the people building the newer "better" server based system that probably was supposed to be completed in the next few months. Not going to happen.

Contracting ain't what it used to be.....

Eligibiltiy system is primarily for food stamps and medicaid eligibility including Healthy Indiana Plan 2.0 recently announced by governor Pence.

Yep. Supporting Indiana's system(s) to support the ACA (Affordable Care Act) commonly referred to as Obamacare.

Wife is a library aid at county school in Kokomo. On the other side of the county across IN 931, the former US 31, for any who have drivien through "stoplight city".

I work in downtown Indy behind the state house and depending on route drive by Klipsch HQ quite frequently. The drive is a killer. Location not so bad with the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art across the street to the west on the canal walk. I did get to amble through the recent Ansel Adams exhibit at lunch a few times and with a couple of friends so that was kind of cool and got a membership for my wife and myself as it wasn't much more than if all 4 of us would go but unfortunately the family didn't make it downtown. The Eugene and Marilyn Glick Indiana History Center is accross the street to the north also on the canal. The NCAA Hall of Fame or museum, Indiana State Museum, White River State park, Lucal Oil Stadium, Victory Field, The Fieldhouse, Circle Center Mall, etc are all nearby.

So if y'all are in downtown Indy or comin' this way, let me know. We can hit the Eiteljorg for free (I'm essentially a minion for the state...) as I can take a guest as can my wife.

Edited by blsamuel
  • Like 2

Yezzir. Added a 10mb HDD later that year and figured I was set for life...

attachicon.gifFirstIBMPC.jpgSpeaking of what we do, I've had more than one question me about my claim of running AutoCAD on a dual floppy XT. Ran across this picture from my home office in Singapore. That is about a 1,000.00 worth of 9.7 MHz XT with math coprocessor. Obviously not AutoCAD running here, but note the book to the right.

Dave

Dave

My very first graphic workstation was one I spec'ed out for my employer... a Macintosh Quadra 950 at a whopping 33hz. that computer, with software and a RIP/printer was over $40,000

Quadra_950_hero.jpg

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

a Macintosh Quadra 950 at a whopping 33hz. that computer, with software and a RIP/printer was over $40,000
I'm pretty sure that's supposed to have an M in there... Those were nice computers at the time.

Bruce

For over 26 years with humongous international computer services company, 5 4 19, that had the Cat Herder commercial, with real cowboys and cats. Nobody had any idea what we did or who we were... but loved the commercial. The next one that I think virtually nobody saw was rebuilding a large passenger jet in mid flight which was pretty cool, followed by the Running Of The Squirrels commercial which was probably seen even less made one think the ad agency was smokin' or snortin' some sort of recreational pharmaceutical product.

So I'm a cat herder too. Just the cats are different.... trying to get client requirements for any IT project before the expect you to build a new system or enhance it or keeping their requirements in line with their budget... paying for a Yugo, expecting a Corvette.

Amy did do a very good job of keeping us ornery kitties of the Klipsch cattery in line but cats as any cat servant knows, cats will do what they want. The best you can do is persuade and distract them.

Your work is cut out for ya mang. Maybe some Klipsch treats every now and then will distract us from our ornery running amok way. lol

5 4 19, founded by that crazy little Texan with big ears that loved pie charts who ran for POTUS a few years back.that was later swallowed up by an even more ginormous computer hardware company, 8 16 for the past 2 to 4 years. Not the Itty Bitty Machine company (9 2 13) whose hardware and computin' machine operatin' systems, database software I work on. Needless to say it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out my days there were numbered.

I'm a big iron aka mainframe computin' machine programmer, analyst, database administrator, configuration management administrator, security administrator, disaster recovery dude, systems interface etc over the years. Jack of all trades big iron, maybe even master of a few with a lot of knowledge a "normal" programmer / analyst doesn't know about having worked with the systems programmers quite a bit over the years. .

Took the early retirement as I was going to get laid off and the early retirement option was a lot better than severance if viewed as severance.

Pretty much out of work for about a year during which time I had a hip replaced and was a bit of a slug finally gettin' the old job search going. A short work exile before my "retirement" date didn't help in the gather up and organize all the documentation I'd created over the years so my soon to be former co-workers had a clue about the stuff I did they didn't know much about and often didn't want to learn.

I now work for a relatively small computin' machine contracting firm as a sub contractor on state of Indiana FSSA eligibiligy project, basically backfill for the people building the newer "better" server based system that probably was supposed to be completed in the next few months. Not going to happen.

Eligibiltiy system is primarily for food stamps and medicaid eligibility including Healthy Indiana Plan 2.0 recently announced by governor Pence.

Yep. Supporting Indiana's system(s) to support the ACA (Affordable Care Act) commonly referred to as Obamacare.

Wife is a library aid at county school in Kokomo. On the other side of the county across IN 931, the former US 31, for any who have drivien through "stoplight city".

I work in downtown Indy behind the state house and depending on route drive by Klipsch HQ quite frequently. The drive is a killer. Location not so bad with the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art across the street to the west on the canal walk. I did get to amble through the recent Ansel Adams exhibit at lunch a few times and with a couple of friends so that was kind of cool and got a membership for my wife and myself as it wasn't much more than if all 4 of us would go but unfortunately the family didn't make it downtown. The Eugene and Marilyn Glick Indiana History Center is accross the street to the north also on the canal. The NCAA Hall of Fame or museum, Indiana State Museum, White River State park, Lucal Oil Stadium, Victory Field, The Fieldhouse, Circle Center Mall, etc are all nearby.

So if y'all are in downtown Indy or comin' this way, let me know. We can hit the Eiteljorg for free (I'm essentially a minion for the state...) as I can take a guest as can my wife.

Are you related to Thebes.

Are you related to Thebes.

Might be twin sons of different mothers... . or just twins separated at birth.

In any case, family members for both of us said we were dropped on our heads as infants when delivered by the STORK.

Draw your own conclusions.

• 3 weeks later...

I am electronic tech/test engineer. I work at Opto22 Inc. We make industrial automation controls, hardware and software. Check us out at: opto22.com if you every need to control anything :).

Can you design something to control my wife?

:ph34r:

I've been in the securities (investment) business for what is now approaching 28 years. 

I still have some screen prints that I did the day of the market crash in 1987.

• Moderators

As a child, I wanted to be a Ninja :ph34r: but that didn't work out.

As a teenager, I wanted to be a jet pilot for the Navy or Air Force but due to my vision, I found out that wasn't going to be a possibility.

Junior year of High School, I felt let to full-time student ministry.  For the past 16 years, I have been a Student Pastor in 3 churches working with 6th - 12th graders.  I'm a licensed and ordained minister so I have had my share of marrying and burying as well.  I love my job and I love my youth (hense the name "Youthman").

I also have had a side business since 2003 in Custom Website Design, Logo Design and Printing Services.  It started out as a hobby and has grown every year since then.

My wife started out as an Elementary Teacher and is now a Reading Resource Coach at a Title One School.

• Like 5

I am a landlord for commercial and industrial real estate. It's so much easier than negotiating contracts with the Teamster Union every 3 years. Now the question is, what am I good for now? I am the father of 3 strapping young lads like me.  :) My baby boy is a graduating senior in high school. So now I restore old cars, restore old speakers, sign some checks, reconcile an account here and there, ride my BMW motorcycle, fish, etc, etc.... I do live on acreage and have a farm out the road, so there is that too. 

Before all that I was an entrepreneur of a Third Party Logistics Company) 3PL. I will fire that back up if any of my current tenants leave. My oldest son is graduating with honors this spring with 3 majors in business. He may go on to a grad degree at Wharton Business School. If he decides to implement some of what he has learned, I may boot a tenant, and let him learn a bit of logistics. 

There is a lot more to all this, but I really don't feel like a life history is what anybody gives a hoot about. What I know that has value is Logistics, Developing, Real Estate, Economics, Strategic Planning, and Negotiating. I am also a mechanic by hobby.

My wife is an RN, but she gave that up to stay at home and raise the kids. Next fall, she will be opening a Tea and Crumpet. She's calling it Lilly Dale, named after her GG Mother, Lily Dale Woolard. 

• Like 2

I am a landlord for commercial and industrial real estate. It's so much easier than negotiating contracts with the Teamster Union every 3 years. Now the question is, what am I good for now? I am the father of 3 strapping young lads like me.   :) My baby boy is a graduating senior in high school. So now I restore old cars, restore old speakers, sign some checks, reconcile an account here and there, ride my BMW motorcycle, fish, etc, etc.... I do live on acreage and have a farm out the road, so there is that too. 

Before all that I was an entrepreneur of a Third Party Logistics Company) 3PL. I will fire that back up if any of my current tenants leave. My oldest son is graduating with honors this spring with 3 majors in business. He may go on to a grad degree at Wharton Business School. If he decides to implement some of what he has learned, I may boot a tenant, and let him learn a bit of logistics. 

There is a lot more to all this, but I really don't feel like a life history is what anybody gives a hoot about. What I know that has value is Logistics, Developing, Real Estate, Economics, Strategic Planning, and Negotiating. I am also a mechanic by hobby.

My wife is an RN, but she gave that up to stay at home and raise the kids. Next fall, she will be opening a Tea and Crumpet. She's calling it Lilly Dale, named after her GG Mother, Lily Dale Woolard. 

makes it all worthwhile when your kids do well! you should be very proud.