Vinyl library for the Klipsch Community?

DizRotus

It occurred to me that collectively the members of the Klipsch community must own many thousands of vinyl recordings, many of which are just gathering dust or waiting to be ruined in a basement flood. Is there a practical way for forum members to share these valuable recordings, either in vinyl form as as digitized files? I recognize the many issues, including but not limited to intellectual property, expense, time, etc., but it's worth exploring. Perhaps it's been considered, discussed, tried and abandoned before.

If anyone would like his/her vinyl cleaned and permanently de-staticed using the Reg Williamson record cleaning process (see: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/145942-the-best-way-to-clean-preserve-vinyl/) contact me by PM. I'd be able and willing to clean worthy discs and render them permanently static free prior to digitizing them. They'd be played to digitize using one of my high quality cartridges (Denon, Ortofon, Audio-Technica or Shure). The record and a digitized file would be returned to the owner.

There may be no interest in this, or there may be too much interest and it becomes totally unmanageable. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Prior to even a single record being handled, there must be email confirmation of the worthiness of each recording that is to be cleaned, digitized and returned. I can't be buried in hundreds of copies of Bobby Goldsboro's Honey.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

I am almost certain there would be interest. As a matter of fact, I have some, not many in the condition you suggest, that I consider worthy. Thinking it is a great idea and service for those either not knowing how or, learn and acquire the skills needed and the equipment to do so.

I certainly am a music collector and with about 1000 LP's here many are somewhat rare or items I cannot find or cannot afford to duplicate on CD. Very interested to learn more about the digitizing process. Yes I bought one of those USB turntables, no I did not put any of my treasured LP's on this piece of plastic junk. I need one of those little electronic boxes that converts anything to USB for computer. I have a couple decent stereo receivers with phono inputs, so don't necessarily need that in the box, just something to take any REC OUT and make it all 1's and 0's. Any help?

The idea of sharing is great... but I don't have any desire to record music from vinyl to digital. It seems tough to do the process correctly.

if a recording is something I enjoy... I usually just buy both copies if available.

as a matter of fact, I just purchased/pre ordered the new Tony Levin(king crimson) Levin brothers LP/CD combo

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

I often see / read about reviewers that record LP to digital and they rave about how much better the LP recorded version is than a digital version bought from the store.............................I would bet this offer as nice as it is could lead to some issues for you DIZ

you have a PM

I have one of these: http://www.needledoctor.com/Bellari-VP-530-USB-Phono-Preamp

It is limited to 16 bit 44.1khz resolution but I think it does a good job. I just use Audacity to record the whole side as one long WAV file. It can take a bit of trial and error to get the recording level right and I don't like to have multiple drops of the needle on the vinyl over and over. With experience, I might get better. I certainly don't want it to clip at any point! This takes a lot of time and energy which I just haven't spent yet.

Mallette raised this to another level it seems but I can't find the thread where he spoke about this subject. He felt he got improvement from capturing at a higher resolution of 24 bit and 192khz if I remember correctly. I would prefer the 24 bit version but I haven't been able to find the difference between 96khz and 192. 24bit and 88.2khz or even 176.4khz would be great.

I dont have a record player or intend to get one, but i fully support this initiative.

Then how do you know they transfer ALL the depth and quality of a good vinyl recording? ;)

I think that's the rub. If there were a way to transfer it to where it sounded EXACTLY like vinyl then the floodgates would open for that methodology.

I dont have a record player or intend to get one, but i fully support this initiative.

Then how do you know they transfer ALL the depth and quality of a good vinyl recording? ;)

I think that's the rub. If there were a way to transfer it to where it sounded EXACTLY like vinyl then the floodgates would open for that methodology.

It doesn't mean I've never heard good vinyl recordings in the past. :P

I'm not so sure about floodgates opening... It is a lot of work and you have to spend some money. I'm not even sure what I'd do for some of the hardware because I'm not a big fan of some of the PC based input devices that I have seen. A lot of nasty stuff can happen to your signal in the PC and I don't know how the pros avoid it. That Bellari does fine from what I can tell but I don't have quite the vinyl setup that others have here. At least it converts to digital before it hits the PC.

If a person has a really nice vinyl setup they might be less inclined to worry about transferring to digital. BUT... what about if something happens to that precious disk of vinyl goodness!

Yes, and reads like you word receive back a nice clean LP and a digitized copy of same. Bet Op has the steps down pretty good, or he would not be making the offer/idea for getting feedback. I know, I do not have the patience for this labor of love. It must be cause why offer...

Edited by billybob

I'm interested. Back in the early 90's I gave away quite a collection, only to regret it later on down the road. Anyway, I've since begun collecting vinyl again and have about 50 or so LP's. Many of them MFSL or other quality recordings that I'd like a good quality Digi-copy. A good cleaning wouldn't hurt either, but all of the LP's I purchased I bought still factory sealed or are in like-new mint condition.

Can you expand a little on the equipment and resolution your planning to use to convert the analog signal to digital format?

Edited by Gilbert

I'm very interested in doing this to select LP's. My thought is to rip ones I own that aren't already available in high quality digital. I am however disappointed the OP doesn't want me to send him my mint Bobby Goldsboro "Honey" recording. That was the first one to come to mind!! :)

• Like 1

A small number of cartridges and turntables are fairly neutral in sound, most have a sonic "character" so a record transferred using them would sound a bit different via each.

What many miss when playing back a needledrop transfer are the ritual actions of LP's as well as the sonic character of their own system.