Do you remember your first 8 Track tape?

ssh

Deep Purple did Smoke on the Water

Foghat was an excellent band also

Well, the rock station here played em back to back so often, what'd ya expect.

Maybe it was Foghat "Slow ride" LOL.

IIRC, that would have been off "Fool For The City", which was my first 8-track tape.

... I was the first kid on my block to buy a cd player. It was 1984, I paid $400 for a single cd Yamaha. I still have my first cd, Pink Floyd The Wall.

Wow, that's familiar... I didn't get a CD player until August 16, 1986.  Paid $370 (I found the receipt a while back!) for a Yamaha CD-500.  Still have my first CD, Pink Floyd DSOTM.  I still think it sounds better than any digital versions I've heard since.

First 8-track was Boston.  

• Like 1

Didn't have one.  Went from mono Lps to stereo Lps, took a detour through reel to reel 7.5 and 15 ips, then CD/SACD/BD. etc.  When, @ > 200,000 miles, I finally junked my 1966 Valliant -- that had no player at all -- I got an old Volvo that had to be started with a screwdriver ... but it had a cassette player ... that ate tape.  So I pretty much bypassed 8-treck.

Questions:  Did some 8 tracks have Dolby or similar?  Or, if not, did they have some kind of filter to mask the hiss?

Edited by Garyrc

I remember when I went from 8 track to cassette in my car.  OMG, what a difference in clarity.

and good old Dolby noise reduction!

And with the early units, all of your high's......

didn't lose ALL my highs (without those I would not been able to stand the double tracking, dragging...)

Edited by USNRET

Marvin Gaye's Heard it Through the Grapevine. Oh jeez, was that my 4 track?? (For all you youngins' out there).

Did you ever use a 4 track to 8 track adapter, just a capstan insert

No but if I'd been aware of it, I would have. I had a Craig under the dash unit in my '67 Mustang.