Small dilema, looking for opinions on pair of Cornwalls

TJIann

OK. So, I have been looking for a pair of vintage Cornwalls and posted in garage sale forum. Ive found a really nice pair about 1.5 hours from home and was planning to pick them up tomorrow. They are C2s from 1986 and the guy is the original owner. The only problem is I asked him for the serial numbers and found out he removed the tags on the back years ago. So, he is asking $900. I think its a good deal given the excellent condition they are in. But the missing tags bothers me. Am I over-reacting? Just wanted to get opinions. Thanks.

Edited by TJIann

yes i think your over reacting. it wouldn't bother me if the tags were removed because after so many years you can't read them anyway. on the plus side your getting one owner speakers. the backs don't come off the 2 series like the 1 series so you can't see whats in there. you would also want to see the fronts with the grills removed and post some pics as to be sure that everything looks stock from the factory.

1983 was the last year they stamped the serial numbers in the wood

Edited by Budman

OP... what effect do the tags have on sound quality?

725-1000 is fair, depending on condition.

Oh, my tags have a huge effect on the sound quality....especially the signatures.  (face palm)

Obviously, none, but...to the OP, they might have a value regarding possible resale value, and as stated....just pure piece of mind.  If they're not there, then so be it, but it would be more important to open them up, check the drivers and crossovers and listen to them prior to buying.

Obviously, none, but...to the OP, they might have a value regarding possible resale value, and as stated

Agreed.  If you find a pair of 30 year old speakers and the paper tags look like they're brand new, chances are the speakers have been well cared for.

Guest Steven1963

Personally, I prefer the tags.  They provide no sonic improvement but they give me peace of mind and bit of satisfaction that my speakers are all original.  It's a personal thing, I know, and it probably wouldn't keep me from buying tagless speakers, but it'd always be floating around in the back of my head that they aren't there.

My HIIs don't have tags on them. I used a date on one of the inspection tags on the inside of the cabinets to get an approximate date. Since the Corns are proted, you may not find any tags inside (the ones in my HIIs were just small slips of paper and not glued or fastened to anything).

Bruce

Thanks folks. I'm going to go ahead and buy them, pending opening them up to inspect and hearing them. This guy has had them since 86. The year is on the speakers near the model text. He just retired and moved to a smaller house, so downsizing his setup. The speakers are in beautiful shape.

• Like 1