Extracorporal Shock Wave Lithotripsy

A1UC

I had stones twice about 10 years apart.  A single 4-5mm last time.  Passed them both times.

Worst pain I ever felt.  2nd time (2 years ago) I honestly thought I was dying.  Would not let them give me morphine in emergency room because they could not tell me what was wrong with me.  I toughed it out till I could no more.

Forum member JWC helped save my life that night.  :)

I hate to say it but the stent was awful. Extremely uncomfortable to walk and sit down. Pulling it out was more mental than physical but 1hr after removing the stent, I had the worst pain (even after taking 3 pain pills) and the pain lasted over an hour. My wife told me none of the 4 children she delivered came even close to what she saw me go through.

I guess I'm now a member of the club.  I had my first kidney stone about 2 weeks ago, wifey took me to the ER.  Morphine did not help the pain. I was given Dilaudid after that.   The dilaudid didn't kill the pain, but it did make me enjoy it.  :)

The nurse at the ER told me she had both child birth and KS, and the KS was worse.  I've had broken bones, pain =6 and several surgeries where I was cut 12" from top to bottom.  Pain was about a 7-8.  The stone was a no-doubt-about-it SOLID ten.

As far as I can tell, the 3mm stone has not yet passed, although I think (not sure) I can tell where it is.  Are you guys telling me it is going to HAVE to come out, using one of the torture methods mentioned in this thread?  :wacko:

Edited by wvu80

Just talked to my brother as this thread made me curious.  He said that the one giving him issues now is between 5 and 6 mm.  He has 7 on one side and 9 on the other.  If nothing happens in the next 2 weeks, they'll put him under, go up through the bladder and pulverize the stones with a laser.  Doc said he would hit all 16 (don't ask me how) and he'd start off with a clean slate, so to speak.

I also had trouble finding this thread and realized it was in the Garage Sale section.  What are we selling??? :o

• Like 2

Once diagnosed and in that unenviable period of waiting for it to pass..............I was told to drink beer.  Of course I had some Rx that dialates your tubes.  But all I remember is that when it came out I was jumping for joy...........instant relief....... can't describe how I went "back to normal" instantaneously.........like it never happened.

My worst and first was 25 years ago.  I was working as a waiter in a fine dining restaurant when it broke loose, I took out my wine key and sterilized the blade on it and was ready to cut myself open and take it out.  I figured it would hurt less.  I showed up at emergency in a tuxedo with my pants around my ankles and a purple ruffled shirt.  I must have looked a mess.  I told the nurse that she had 60 seconds to get some painkillers in me before I started busting the place up.  She only took 45.

I've heard cranberry juice keeps them from forming.  I drink a lot of it and have never had a bad one since.

10mm on my left side two months ago... ECWT broke it up & the cup/strainer combo sounded like maracas on my follow up appt.

No Way!!!  10mm is almost a HALF INCH! (13mm)  :blink:  Mine was 3mm and it reduced me to a blubbering mess, instantly.

My pain level was a 10 out of 10, what was yours, fifteen?

Edited by wvu80

• Moderators

Mine got so bad, I began keeping a Kidney Stone Log in my phone every time I had an attack.  Here is my worst entry.

9/28/13 - 4am kidney attack, took 2 pain pills, drank 4 bottle waters, took 3 hot baths with NO RELIEF.  After 3 hrs of pain, took another pain pill with no relief, went to ER.  Said it was 7mm and I have two more

You know it's hurting when you are still in pain after taking 3 pain pills in 3 hours.

• Like 2

Blessings to all.

About 2 months ago I had another stone as well. And lasted about 3 weeks. I am already taking meds for spine issues although it does nothing other than fool a mind that there is less pain.

With my last stone sure they upped my meds with extras. After the second ambulance trip for this spell I absolutely gave up. Honestly and its scary the only thing that helps it seems is to take meds then go to sleep.

What I found best (with) or without meds which is my preferred method is to sit stretched out on the edge of an old wooden sewing chair or even a toilet. Holding arms out stretched out for the sky praying. This is the only option that seemed to relieve my pain.

I certainly hope you get feeling better A1UC! The hell this is on kidneys scares me as well. Ultimately there really is nothing to do other than wait and hope they pass. That stretching out method I found to be a bit helpful...maybe temporary yet again had relief to regain some piece/peace of mind/body...or vice versa...

• Moderators
Jeff Matthews, on 29 Oct 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

Knock on wood, I never had any stone issues, and I hope I never do.

After reading this thread I completely agree, it sounds really scary, I can take a little pain but this sounds terrible.

And someone told me a long time ago that Calcium in ice cream caused kidney stones.

JJK

I heard the same thing. 

• Like 1

10mm on my left side two months ago... ECWT broke it up & the cup/strainer combo sounded like maracas on my follow up appt.

No Way!!!  10mm is almost a HALF INCH! (13mm)  :blink:  Mine was 3mm and it reduced me to a blubbering mess, instantly.

My pain level was a 10 out of 10, what was yours, fifteen?

Pain level was 0. I did the cup/strainer thing and they came out in little bits & pieces over the course of two weeks. *plop plop*

I stopped counting after 9...

Pain level was 0. I did the cup/strainer thing and they came out in little bits & pieces over the course of two weeks. *plop plop*

I stopped counting after 9...

+++

I had the strainer thing as well, but after 10 days of trying, I just got tired of catching my own stream with no results.

I guess we're all the same, and at the same time, all different.  I'm still waiting for my 3mm "bundle of joy" to be ejected into the world, and it's been two weeks.

Some of what is said here is true and some not.

Eating ice cream as a cause is old school.  You would have to have a certain "stone risk", which isn't the most common.

Yes drinking lemon water is a preventing thing.....not anything to pass ...dissolve...and all that.  Best way is put tbsp. lemon concentrate in water and drink that.

With a stent or passing a stone.....need to be on daily tamsulosin.

Best overall diet rec........high volume "water based drinks", low salt diet, and low meat proportion.  Also, don't snack on nuts or peanut butter.

I never leave the string on the stent.  Yea...it sucks to take out with a cystoscopy later......but......a stent with a string is more of a miserable experience. I get more phone calls after hours.

Alternating pain meds with ibuprofen is the best thing to control stent pain.  However, shouldn't take NSAIDS, ASA, or blood thinners w/in one week before shockwave lithotripsy

BIG MAC.  What we call Ureteroscopy with a laser.  Typically will have a stent afterwards.  I'm doing two of those in the morning.  My practice does about 30-40 ESWL/month.  ESWL about 2x or more expensive than ureteroscopy and laser.  But more likely to get a stent.

Nothing for sale here :)

cheers.

jc