11 year old son wants to go to Santana concert. What do you think?

JL Sargent

He is too young for a Santana concert.  Live concerts are for teens and above.

I don't fear anything bad would go on at the concert, but it is a place adults go to enjoy live music.  I liken it to an 11 yo girl who wants to wear makeup.  It won't kill anyone if she does or doesn't, but in my world, it's just too young.

• Like 2

Eleven is somewhat young, but it might depend on where the concert is. If it was at a family oriented event like "Ribfest" it might be ok. There's a place in downtown Indy called White River State Park. The have family style events there with concerts going on. There are food vendors, face painters, almost like a carnival, Ted Nugent was there a few years ago.

• Like 1

If I were going with him, sure, why not...but with his 11/12 year old buddies, girls....no way Carlos....

Here you go, save yourself some money and a lot of stress...

http://www.amazon.com/Santana-Live-at-Montreux-2011/dp/B006T8KT3U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418259164&sr=8-3&keywords=Santana+DVD

Edited by jimjimbo
  • Like 2

Eleven is somewhat young, but it might depend on where the concert is. If it was at a family oriented event like "Ribfest" it might be ok. There's a place in downtown Indy called White River State Park. The have family style events there with concerts going on. There are food vendors, face painters, almost like a carnival, Ted Nugent was there a few years ago.

Did the Motor City Madman put on a deer butchering demo or something similarly wacko?

• Like 1

In Oct. I was in Myrtel Beach and went to a concert.  We seen the Jason Derulo concert.  I was surprised how many young kids around your son's age that attend the concert.  This was on a Wednesday and the kids had school the next day.  The concert was not PG rated, meaning some of the songs were very suggestive.  A lot of parents were with the children.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Did the Motor City Madman put on a deer butchering demo or something similarly wacko?

I think Ted behaved himself at this show, at least I didn't hear about anything crazy. Maybe he kept it PG rated because it was a family event.

• Like 1

You guys cant be serious thinking an 11 year old would be going by himself or only with same age friends.  JL, I imagine you mean you or some other responsible adult will be with them.  If so, I think it would be horrible not to take him to a Santana concert.  Obviously the little guy has great taste, and must be interested in music.  Don't deprive the experience all things being equal.

• Like 1

I have been taking my kids to concerts since they were 4-5 years old. Santana does not do anything inappropriate except the smoking. I have taken my kids to see the B-52'S, Bon Jovi, Linkin Park, 30 Seconds to Mars, Social Distortion, Brian Setzer Orchestra, Maroon 5, takling them to see Black Veil Brides in February and a few more. It is going to be subjective to what we as parents deem O.K. I would never let them go by themselves, not until they were older teens, but with me, no problem. My son and daughter had a guitar pick and a drum stick handed to them as we were in the front row by a few performers. We also met the B-52's and talked with them for about a half hour. So it's been a very good thing for them and has opened their minds to different music,all 4 of my kids play musical instruments, my 10 year old drums, my 13 year old triplets (2 girls and 1 boy) play multiple instruments with my 1 daughter playing the violin, keyboard, ukulele, and guitar and my other one playing violin, flute, and sax.Both girls are in choir also. My other boy plays sax also,and if not for the music and seeing it live don't think they'd be as involved in it.

• Like 3

I think that going with dad would be very good.  Parents complain they can't get the kids away from video games and this would be a great adventure for him.

Let me ask.  Does his school have any guidelines on this sort of thing?  You wouldn't want the school, after the fact, to claim you're not a good parent.  Also, if you feel you have to say "no, not until you're older," it could be helpful to explain that you're following school guidelines.

WMcD

• Like 2

He would be going to the concert with his mother and me. My wife has always loved this band and we try to go when they come to town. My wife is always playing Santana's music and we do have the above recommended Blu-ray which I can confirm is very good. Santana is an old guy these days and the concerts are pretty laid back. You know the guy played at Woodstock so he must be near 70 lol.

• Like 1

I grew up attending live music venues from a very early (newborn) age, but usually folk, bluegrass, etc., and always with one or (usually) both parents. First sans guardian show was '82, (Clash/Who) at 14 yo.

*** Saw Your Reply ***

Definitely take him! Earplugs is a great suggestion for your son, especially if you wear some yourselves.

• Like 1