11 year old son wants to go to Santana concert. What do you think?

JL Sargent

this is a tough one actually … can’t fault the kid for wanting to see a live show; but, i do agree with the distinguished gentlemen from WVU that is an event for adults to enjoy.  I say that somewhat hypocritically as the father of four that did take my kids to a concert or two. Three year old was dancing in the aisle at an REO Speedwagon show about 30 years ago … but as a cranky guy now…i’d be mad at me.

I say go for it, I don't see the harm.  I went to my first music festival at the age 12-13 with my buddies.  Concert was headliners was 311 and Violent Femmes, I feel I turned out all right.  I must be a horrible parent as I took my 9 year daughter to Kid Rock( no I am not a fan wife received free tickets) Anyways we were in the press booth so she didn't know what all was going down on the floor. She was tired and ready to go by 9, good thing as that is when the pole dancers came out on stage. :blink:

Edited by duder1982
  • Like 1

He probably wants to go with you and the wife. In that case, I'd say its a memory in the making. 

I think most of the early reactions were based on him being turned loose at a concert with his buds. 

I took my kids to concerts a few times when they were young. The only bad thing that happened is one of the fathers had been eating too much meat or something. He let an SBD and cleared out literally 4 rows of people. It was the WORST smell that ever hit my nose, and I have had dogs skunked many times.  :blink:

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 3

I took my 4-year old grandson to see The Eagles in St. Louis in 08' and we had a blast.

Even then he could tell ya the band members' names, backup band's names, make and model of their instruments.

He even said to someone my wife and I were talking to "I (himself) only got drunk once for 20-years."

Edited by Mighty Favog

I went to my first concert at 15 so I think 11 is a little young to go see Santana. That said, I have been to a Santana concert before and don't remember anything inappropriate happening. What do you guys think about this?

this is just my opinion. if your son is old enough to truly want to go and and see Carlos play he is old enough to go. You can use any thing that happens at the show as an opening into discussion on that topic and consider that a life lesson where you get to tell him how it is first. Go with your son and see Carlos and as many other great performers as you can and develop this interest now and share your love of music with him he will remember it all his lie. start no enjoy for as long as you can. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

I don't see any harm in an 11 year old attending a Santana concert if accompanied by parents or other responsible adults.  This discussion has brought back some nice memories of having seen them live twice around 1970.  Once was at Fillmore East where there was so much weed in the air that after 15 minutes I felt quite fine (I doubt that you are at risk of something similar happening in these times), and the other at a spinoff concert at Brooklyn College.  At the latter, I remember an amazing performance of Incident at Neshabur with Albert Gianquinto, the composer, at the keyboard.  Guess I'm getting old........

And, Mustang, your experience with the SBD was nothing compared to my friend Eric's adventures. He is known to have cleared out a McDonalds and send the manager running into the bathrooms thinking that the sewer line backed up, and has cleared out entire aisles at Home Depot.  Even his dogs have to hide in the basement at times!  His wife's sense of smell disappeared years ago. :rolleyes:

Maynard  

At first, I misread the subject. I thought it said "Santa concert." In which case I'd say, "Why not?"

Now that my bifocals are in place, I say, "No way," unless accompanied by adults. With adult supervision, great.

Remember, Carlos knows if you've been naughty or nice and he's keeping a list. Or, am I confused again . . . . . ?

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

The potential problem is not going to this concert with his parents. What will you say next year when he asks to go with his friends? His argument will be that you let him go with you, so why can't he go with his friends? The problem is more global. At what age do you give your kids increasing levels of autonomy? I waited too long which carries its own hazards. Nonetheless, I think rock concerts at ages under 17 without adults is asking for trouble. But then again, as I was consistently told "Things are different from when you were a kid."

it is a place adults go to enjoy live music.

i do agree with the distinguished gentlemen from WVU that is an event for adults to enjoy.

Go to a Jimmy Buffett concert and all the middle aged men feel the need to act like drunken frat boys again.

Go to a Lynrd Skynrd or ZZ Top concert and all the bikers get CRAZY.

Go to a Godsmack concert and your friend gets kicked in the head so hard it splits his scalp open.

Go to a James Taylor concert and you still might still get stuck next to the one woman in the whole crowd who apparently thinks she bought tickets to a boxing match.

Go to a Digital Underground concert and some dude tries to molest your wife.

Go see the ballet with a live orchestra and the old chick behind you apparently doesn't know what the term "no flash photography" means.

Go to a Ryan Adams concert and all the weird hipsters come out of the woodwork and generally act kinda icky.

Go to a Rodrigo y Gabriela concert and somebody has to yell "WE LOVE YOU GABRIELLA" at the top of their lungs fairly often.

Go to a bluegrass concert and some half stoned hippie chick is going to dance flagrantly. It's a rule.

Point is, the immature idiots that ruined concerts that I have experienced have ALWAYS been adults. I would GLADLY sit next to a well behaved 11 year old whose parental chaperones are a big fan of the current act. That probably means much less drama than usual. There are kids at every concert I've been to and none of them have ever bothered me. The worst people seem to be the adults who aren't really fans of the band but are there just for something to do.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

I liken it to an 11 yo girl who wants to wear makeup.  It won't kill anyone if she does or doesn't, but in my world, it's just too young.

My 6 year old watches much of the Metallica concert movie with me, at least the actual concert footage, not necessarily the parallel movie scenes. He asked if we could go see them when they come to this local small concert hall. :) We won't let him watch PG-13 movies though. I have "guardians of the galaxy" rented but he's not watching it, even if it does have a talking raccoon. For the most part the actual concert footage is much tamer than a PG-13 movie. Santana would be significantly tamer than that.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

If we where putting it to a vote , I vote yes . if your going to be with .  He will remember it forever . And that is very cool .

My Dad took me to a Grateful Dead show when I was about 7 and it was an awesome experience. I am 26 now and got to brag in College that I saw Jerry Garcia play before he died.

• Like 3

Since you & your wife are going I think it is a great idea. I also second the motion of the ear plugs. Bonding over music is something that can see you through the inevitable rough patches that will occur in your child's life. He will always be able to say, my folks took me to a Santana concert when I was eleven. Just like I tell people my folks bought me Abbey Road & Who's Next, even though they were not rock fans .Enjoy!