I HATE UPS

eth2

I have an amplifier I have been trying to ship for three days via UPS.

Day I - the UPS Store refuse to accept it because the top was "not exactly flat." I explained that was because it was double wrapped, and between the inside and outside box there were peanuts and Styrofoam. Nonetheless, the box was completed covered with duct tape and Secure.

Day II - I returned to the UPS Store with a "flat box." They said they had to open it and inspect it otherwise they could not insure it. They cut the boxes open and refused to accept it because the amp was not bubble wrapped. They said they would have to do it and charge me. I told them where to stick their bubble wrap and left.

Day III - I am no longer going to a "UPS Store" but rather the UPS Hub. It is double boxed, bubble wrapped, Styrofoam enclosed with peanuts. I will keep you posted on this misadventure.

I pity the poor fool who will be receiving this "misadventure".....

They took it at the Hub and even complimented me on its packing! They did say that if it was going to JimJimbo, they would take "extra special" care of it. Not sure why they were all smirking.

• Like 4

I sent you a PM, Earl, not urgent, routine business.

+++

Earl, I think that UPS store that you initially went to was looking to make a little extra for "helping" you pack.  Not cool.

The package I sent to you via UPS went through the hub and even though it was electronic and very heavy, nobody at UPS gave it a second look.

Edited by wvu80

I don't know about you folks but it takes me at least 2 hours to pack an amp or old receiver.  I might be a little faster at it now but it's a lot of work to do it right.   I assume it is "right" when it makes it to the destination in one piece anyway.  I'm a big fan of double boxing but it is hard for things to survive the slams of the shipper.  I won't forget watching the Fedex agent carry my equipment arount the corner only to hear it SLAM down.  It could only have been that loud if he had just dropped it to the floor from waist high.  Bad news is that Fedex is still the best around here... the UPS folks seem to like to see how far they can throw your boxes.

Edited by muel
  • Like 1

Packing is almost an art form if you want stuff to survive........................NEVER I repeat NEVER allow those so called Professionals at ups or fedex to pack any electronics for you......................Peanuts are your enemy unless they are used as a buffer between your double boxing anything with any weight will shift around and end up on the box edge making it susceptible to damage

I have shipped 200 pound turntables, cornwalls, rf7's, infinity kappa 8's and multiple amps in excess of 50 pounds all with no original packing and no damage, and I spend easily 2 hours packing up items (at least I did, when I was deep into buying and trying and selling gear)

I prefer fedex over ups from experience

I can't stand USPS, they have lost 2 sets of speakers and demolished an AVR in the last 2 months on me. Fedex lost a receiver for 6 months and suddenly found it. They called me to let me know,then repackaged it and when I received it it was in 3 pieces.

Earl, I just logged in to the UPS site (where I have an account), entered your tracking number, and received a message that they didn't like your attitude.  They said that the white kitchen garbage bag filled with popcorn was not appropriate to ship an item such as was brought to them, and they will be returning it to your home tomorrow, with an invoice to cover the cost of their annoyance....Thanks a lot.....

They said they had to open it and inspect it otherwise they could not insure it. They cut the boxes open and refused to accept it because the amp was not bubble wrapped. They said they would have to do it and charge me. I told them where to stick their bubble wrap and left.

They must have changed their policy.  I used to work for an optics company that shipped via UPS often.  Most of the boxes were curved on top, all insured, and none were opened for inspection (unless they were opened after our guys left the UPS store).   On the other hand, they didn't want to insure JBL speakers for replacement value.

i bought a piece of Tascam gear online... it arrived via UPS in one piece. The packing tape was printed with... "Delicate electronics, please toss underhand."

I also had a forum member ship an h/k 430 to me, loose in a box with a few peanuts and wrapped in a towel. Amazingly it wasn't damaged. I got another one from Neil in MI, and it was boxed super (and arrived perfect as well).

Bruce