Your Favorite Acoustic Music ?

joessportster

Since you asked for "your favorite" and not "the best", I should mention this old man I used to listen to every day.  There is a very old hamburger joint in Madisonville KY called Ferrells, built in 1929.  Every day a crazy old very poor black man would wander the streets, in 1970's pimp attire, playing a guitar that was out of tune and usually missing a string or two, doing his best to sing but, yeah that didn't work very well.  He played for us for lunch at least 3 times a week for a couple of years.  He died awhile back, people still talk about him and you can even buy a post card there with his picture on it.  This is a couple personal pics of mine.  The ugly white dude is me.  

374335_10151492060959401_319564694_n.jpg

1935100_146028784400_8114093_n.jpg?oh=73

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 2

Someone had mentioned the MTV unplugged series, those are really great recordings.

The rooster from Alice in chains DVD is really exceptional, I'm also a big fan of Stevie Ray Vaughn Tinpan Alley a.k.a. (The roughest place I've ever seen )sounds freaking awesome live and recorded. There is one version with a drum that simulates the gunshot I hear it on Pandora occasionally but I cannot find it on iTunes.

The guy on the right in my avatar.  We had a juke box in my grand parents diner when I was young and dad played a lot of Bill Monroe, Jerry Reed, Chet Atkins etc...but I never discovered Doc Watson until about 15 yrs ago.  What a talent he was.

There are soooo many I like ...especially when we get into the old blues artists.  Oh ya...it's a whole different genre but...Michael Hedges would be on my list.

• Like 1

LOL Dave. Just who is the composer of West Side Story Suite?

Not sure why you ask.  If you mean the various arrangers, there are a number.  The best known and most highly regarding recording was conducting by that Schmuck Bernstein in 1984.  He always has top billing as composer regardless of the arranger as in the case of most such things.

My take on him as a conductor is given his life tenure at New York and his status at Vienna as preferred guest conductor he was either one slick operator or was well regarded by at least a few folks.  As to my slip on Candide spelling I blame it on my college band director who always pronounced it with a long "e" at the end. 

Dave