can beer make you sick?

Paducah Home Theater

Thought maybe some fans of frosty beverages here might know. I've woken up puking back up a certain stout from a certain microbrewery the last two times I've tried it, plus my wife did the same thing. After she and I both got sick, I mentioned it to the brewery just in case something was odd about it, of course they're adamant that such a thing is impossible with any alcoholic beverage. I'm not sure I believe it though, because after they convinced me otherwise I tried again, with the same results.

I'm not talking about sick from being drunk either, I'm talking about a small amount, literally as small as 1/4 of a pint making your stomach churn for 6 hours and finally making you puke. That's what happened last night and that's what happened with my wife.

Anyway, could there be some kind of super funky yeast strain or anything else? I have a hard time believing it was a stomach bug all three times, and it's not like we ate the same things.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

IMHO and experience you are allergic(and your wife also ?) to something in that brew.

of course they're adamant that such a thing is impossible with any alcoholic beverage.

Impossible? I would say it is POSSIBLE with any alcoholic beverage.

Edited by babadono
  • Like 1

fresh yeast can have fun in some guts and make for a lot of gas but if you were actually sick I would star making some calls right away. Sorry to hear about your trouble. Don't let this put you off beer all forever though. Perhaps a three month stint on daily probiotics will help get your gut balance in better shape. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

IMHO and experience you are allergic(and your wife also ?) to something in that brew.

of course they're adamant that such a thing is impossible with any alcoholic beverage.

Impossible? I would say it is POSSIBLE with any alcoholic beverage.

They're saying that the alcohol kills any bugs or whatever and negates the possibility of food poisoning. Maybe so but I would think that there are other ways of getting sick than just ingesting salmonella.

Ya, just a small amount...that's the ticket.

Honest officer, it was just a small amount. I couldn't be drunk.

I only bought one 64 ounce growler. That's 4 pints, split between two people, over two days. If I wanted to get drunk I'd have some bourbon or moonshine. :) I can drink half a fifth of bourbon in a single night and not get sick. 1/4 pint of beer shouldn't put me over the edge.

• Like 1

In the old days the military would dispose of 3 year old beer because it would give headaches.

Not sure just what military you mean, but there was NEVER any 3 year old beer in this man's Army...

Dave :emotion-22:  :emotion-22:  :emotion-22:  :wacko:

Edited by Mallette

Could it have been Chicken knuckles or Nacho's that you and the wife shared while you were there? :)

These guys just recently started up, they don't have food yet. I had considered that we might have got something at home, but we ate two different things, plus I ate something totally different last night. So, I doubt it.