Black satin paint for Klipsch speakers?

avguytx

I've been searching all online pointed back to the forum about what brand and/or type of paint would be good for redoing the black satin finish Klipsch speakers.  Namely, my KLF-30's since they are a little rough around the edges and my wife seems to like that finish better than the medium Oak finish on the CF-3's.  :-/  Anyone ever repaint theirs with good results?

Edited by avguytx

This is from Marshall's (GL/Area51), pinned to the top of this forum room:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/144391-klipsch-data-from-glarea51-and-he-credits-others-thanks-mm/

8. "Lacquer" refers to the application of one or two thin coats of a clear
semi-gloss lacquer sprayed on the cabinet and motor board prior to
installation of drivers. That lacquer was obtained from various vendors
and currently is a #40 sheen, semi-gloss lacquer from Valspar/OPEC.
Lacquer finishes only require a routine wiping off with a clean dry
cloth to maintain the finish.

For "Black Lacquer" finishes, the factory used a #40 sheen lacquer
primer, then #40 sheen black lacquer, with a clear #40 sheen to protect
the black finish.

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 1

At the advise of a manger at a Sherman Williams store I bought a quart of good quality enamel and a good quality small roller to paint my La Scalas.

They came out very good.

Proper preparation is key.

If you are interested to know the exact paint and roller I used let me know and I will look it up.

Funny you ask. When I bought my KLF 30's  they came in black satin. I wanted to paint my KG 4's to match. I called Hope and they said Red Devil black Satin. I just might still have the can, but I think that was back in the 90's, so it would be very old.  I don't even know if you can still get Red Devil paint

• 2 months later...

ask for a 38 degree sheen looks best as a satin finish a quality paint shop will know exactly what this is if they don't leave.

I've been trying to get info on this. It seems that if you google this term, only two decent mentions of it came up, and it's this thread and another one you wrote. :)

DSC_0014_zps4a28d3c9.jpg

I sprayed good automotive two part acrillic urethane on mine.  The prep work was crazy tedious and I will never do it again, but it turned out better and more durable than they ever did from the factory.

This looks incredible, your hard work certainly shows.