Had to lay off two long time coworkers and friends today.

sean5340

Got a call from my new boss saying two guys that work for me are laid off. Since he had never met them I offered to inform them of the decision. Truly one of the hardest things that I have ever done.

I understand why some people don't care for oilfield workers very much but please understand that these folks are hard working Americans. It is not in our best interest to let OPEC have so much control over oil prices. There have been thousands of lay offs in the oil industry and no one but oil workers seem to care. 

• Like 1

I understand why some people don't care for oilfield workers very much but please understand that these folks are hard working Americans

You can bet I know what you are talking about.  Oilfield people aren't always polished, but they are the BEST.  The only people I've ever heard complain about the money they make are those who've never spent a 12 hour tour tripping pipe in oil based mud or in a blizzard in ND. 

No way they are overpaid.  They are the ones who brought everybody this cheap gas they are so happy about.  And what do they get for it?  Laid off...

Dave

Yes i know this sucks but it could be worse, Dont feel too bad, it could be like Socal aerospace back in the 80s, my supervisor called me to the office one day, handed me a stack of checks and instructions to layoff 130 people. and report back to him when completed.

This i did, and was promply handed my layoff notice and last check.

• Moderators

I understand why some people don't care for oilfield workers very much but please understand that these folks are hard working Americans

You can bet I know what you are talking about.  Oilfield people aren't always polished, but they are the BEST.  The only people I've ever heard complain about the money they make are those who've never spent a 12 hour tour tripping pipe in oil based mud or in a blizzard in ND. 

No way they are overpaid.  They are the ones who brought everybody this cheap gas they are so happy about.  And what do they get for it?  Laid off...

Dave

Exactly, and that does not even count the danger, most people have no idea.

Sorry you had to do that but better to hear it from you.

• Like 2

Guest Steven1963

I have been very fortunate in my life. I began full time work at 18 and never got a pink slip. I know others haven't been so lucky. 

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 1

I have been very fortunate in my life. I began full time work at 18 and never got a pink slip. I know others haven't been so lucky. 

By the looks of that avatar, doesn’t appear that you’d accept a pink slip anyway.   :D

Did you hear about the girl that got rejected by Duke and she sent them a letter rejecting their rejection letter.  Epic.

• Like 1

Ouch. I don't know if I would be able to do that. I work for an engineering firm and 40 people were let go on one day back in February. Some of our clients were putting jobs on hold or stopping them all together. These low prices are having ripple effects all across the industry. Roughnecks, welders, caterers, clerical, designers, everyone. Twice, I've been at work when the axe started swinging. The first time it got me. The second time I was lucky. Neither time was fun.

That was a decent thing for you to give them the news yourself. The oil worker layoffs have been in the news lately, you've just put a face on it. I know your pain, the health care industry is going through some adjustments too. My hospital was recently acquired by a big player in the U.S. health care racket, and I've lost many friends and coworkers to layoffs. 

"I understand why some people don't care for oilfield workers very much"

I don't understand this...the only "people" I can think of would be environmentalist wackos. protesting the use of carbon fuels and "BIGOIL" while sipping starbucks and texting on their iphones!

I'm for anyone that works hard, and legally to support their family.

that was a very nice thing you did. I'm sure it was extremely hard to do.

Edited by angusruler

I too have had to show people the door for various reasons and it never fails to affect my soul. I am not bragging (maybe I am as I tell this to my kids occasionally) but I went to work in 1967 at the age of 13 and went full time in 1969. Since that day I have not been without a job except for the weekend when leaving one on Friday to start on Monday. I have been very fortunate. Sorta like having a girl friend and there are several available but when you don't have a girlfriend you are S.O.L. I try to see the crystal ball and not be one of the last rats leaving the sinking ship.

Steven,

I can count myself fortunate, blessed, and just plain lucky that I have been employed since the age of 16 and I am now 50.  I was just expressing my gratitude to God the other day with my wife for just that fact.

Sean, 

I would hate to be in your shoes with your coworkers/friends.  I have a coworker who may lose his job soon after 25 years with the company.  He is not meeting his "performance" numbers and is on final "warning"  He is 61 and is not even close $$$ to retire.  He also is not very "employable" due to some health issues.  It breaks my heart.

Bill

Sorry to hear about this I was lucky to never have been laid off but I never missed and never late but it did nothing to help me when I got sick. I got sick and they said after FMLA runs out your out. That simple. But all the while people were missing 2 to 4 days a month my years of never missing did not matter. Oh well I can hope for karma to step in some where. Rick

sean5340 - It is not in our best interest to let OPEC have so much control over oil prices. The people around here don't get it. The scary thing is they vote. No need to wonder why America is so messed up.

Indeed.  When everyone starting shouting "huzzah" about cheap gas and the oil companies getting their come uppance I said "Fine, but a price will be paid..." 

The current cheap oil is precisely targeted at ensuring our return to dependence on ME oil.  And it is working.  Our people aren't.

Dave