La Scala - La Scala II or Belles? Next Purchase

rockhound

Another thing I don't know why we don't see it some 1/4" BB glued over the dog house. It would be a great fit, and if done well, would make the dog house point full 1" BB.
The bracing of the doghouse would be more important on the Peavey, as the sides are one piece. On the LS, the sides are two pieces and really aren't going to resonate much at all. You really need to stop the sides of the main box from vibrating.

You don't want to add a quarter inch  to the doghouse or inside of the main box, as it will make the horn mouth smaller.

Bruce

• Like 3

So it looks like I should try out some first gen scala's. The KHorn would be nice but no way false corners are going to pass waf in the living room and my man cave is only 12x12 or I would have a set in it. I sure wish I could I've heard them and man they are so sweet just for S&G what is the minimum room size for khorns?

I really like the looks of the Belle and think this would pass waf for a permanent fixture in the living room, I found a set but they are way overpriced IMHO.

I considered the La Scala 2 because I may be able to get a pair local to me. In saying that tho the first gen scala can be had at a pretty good price. Maybe I should start another post asking Arkansas forum members with Scala's if they wouldn't mind a demo.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Hmmm...I doubt double MWM's with 402s would pass waf either.  Nevermind, probably wouldn't work in a 12'x12' room anyways!

I wish you the best.  I would have to say the LaScalas are an excellent buy!  We listened to Khorns in at least five or different locations.  Never seemed to have the sound we were anticipating.    We kept going back to the sound of the LaScalas....once we heard the double MWM/402 set up...our minds were made up!  Two channel at it's finest!

• Like 2

Maybe I should start another post asking Arkansas forum members with Scala's if they wouldn't mind a demo.

If someone demos any of the contending speakers for you, include in the discs you take along some with percussive bass (timpani &/or the Telarc big bass drum would be good) and also some pipe organ with low pedal notes.  That will let you listen for cabinet resonances (especially with the LS I).  I presume you will be using a sub if you get either LS.  Some people like LS I or II with a sub, some would rather get the cleaner sound of LS I or II without a sub.  Using a horn-loaded sub should solve that problem, I think.

If you buy either La Scala and use it with a sub, try various crossover points.  How low a LS will gracefully go depends on room and placement, I'll bet.  I don't have a LS (although I've heard many), but my center channel Belle is probably close to the sound of either LS.  Several people have found that the - 3 dB point on Belle and LS to be rather high ~~~ 70/80/90~~~ in various rooms.  But, my Belle is flush mounted in a wall, and I get an actual peak at 60 Hz, and fair response below that by ear.  Audyssey measures the Belle's - 3dB point in my set up as 40 Hz (!) which is lower than the -5 dB point Klipsch used to advertise (which, I think, was 45 Hz).  I've tried crossovers at 80 (THX recommendation), 60, and 40.  I think that the lower it goes, the cleaner it sounds (my sub is a direct radiator, and not too great), but I vacillate about the best compromise crossover point.

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 2

Maybe I should start another post asking Arkansas forum members with Scala's if they wouldn't mind a demo.

If someone demos any of the contending speakers for you, include in the discs you take along some with percussive bass (timpani &/or the Telarc big bass drum would be good) and also some pipe organ with low pedal notes.  That will let you listen for cabinet resonances (especially with the LS I).  I presume you will be using a sub if you get either LS.  Some people like LS I or II with a sub, some would rather get the cleaner sound of LS I or II without a sub.  Using a horn-loaded sub should solve that problem, I think.

I would be using 2 tapped horn subs with either.

• Like 2

I would be using 2 tapped horn subs with either.

Great!

I added a paragraph to my post just as you were responding to it.  So it's the second paragraph of post number 24, if you want to take a look.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I bet they sound every bit as good as they look. I am anxious to hear your assessment once you listen to them a while. I am also curious as to how you like you tapped horn subs with the LaScalla's. I have not found a sub I like with my Belle's and have been considering a horn design but don't have much room for the larger designs I have seen. Let us know what you think.

• 4 weeks later...

I have never heard a midrange like this, simply awesome. I do not regret letting go of the Chorus 2's to get these they are so smooth sounding and even without the subs they have good tight bass (The twin tapped horn subs just make it that much better tho). I had a friend over for a listen just to see if they sounded as good to him as they do to me. We listened to all kinds of music for about 3 hrs and he was just in aw over how they sounded. I now understand the desire to own an all horn setup. I absolutely love these speakers and the fact that they were the last prototype before the LaScala 2 came to market is pretty darn cool to boot.

• Like 4

As usual, I will strike my "it depends" stance.....Depends on the music I'm playing, the source I'm using, whether it's live or studio, my mood, second or third glass of wine, etc, etc.....I am really loving the Scala's more and more every day.  I am currently in process of refurbing (another) pair, and this one is going to get the full treatment with new crossovers, new wiring, new tweeters, reinforced cabinet, damping on the mid horn, and whatever else I can think of....I want to make this pair one of my main go to speakers, and when done, I'm going to do a serious comparison between these, a pair of Chorus II's with some new DeanG crossovers, my Belle's, and Cornwalls.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say yes to the first question... for the second part, you can find first gen. La Scalas from $450 up. I paid around $1200 for my 1989 Walnut Lacquer La Scalas. La Scall II models are way pricier and not nearly as common on the used market.

Bruce

I would say yes to the first question... for the second part, you can find first gen. La Scalas from $450 up. I paid around $1200 for my 1989 Walnut Lacquer La Scalas. La Scall II models are way pricier and not nearly as common on the used market.

Bruce

most are saying get the big corner jobs....but don't see them for goin for 2000...these lascala looks good but no monster base??? as say some...which LOL I need fer sure or no dice for me.

hard to pick a start....see what comes on cragslist and how much $$$$$!! take wich come s 1st

• Moderators
most are saying get the big corner jobs....but don't see them for goin for 2000...these lascala looks good but no monster base???

Yes they do go for that price sometimes but are much more dependent on the room to get the best from them. LaScalas are much easier to get good sound from in the average room, if you like a lot of bass try to get a listen to a Cornwall, any version.

LaScala's with Monster bass NO, tight accurate bass yes, a sub can fill in the rest.

• Moderators

I have never heard a midrange like this, simply awesome. I do not regret letting go of the Chorus 2's to get these they are so smooth sounding and even without the subs they have good tight bass (The twin tapped horn subs just make it that much better tho). I had a friend over for a listen just to see if they sounded as good to him as they do to me. We listened to all kinds of music for about 3 hrs and he was just in aw over how they sounded. I now understand the desire to own an all horn setup. I absolutely love these speakers and the fact that they were the last prototype before the LaScala 2 came to market is pretty darn cool to boot.

Not surprised by this but glad your liking them. :D  

Horn loaded, it just sounds better to me, all the way down to the sub. Nice setup, good match on the subs also. :emotion-21: