Do you like to camp?

mungkiman

Do you consider yourself to be in the Pessimist, Realist, or Optimist camp?

Yesterday, during a lively discussion between the Glass Half Fulls and the Glass Half Emptys, many Optimists declared that Realists and Pessimists were the same. Several Pessimists insisted that Optimists were delusional, while a few Realists used a different analogy.

Guest Steven1963

I am a guarded optimist. I used to be firmly in the pessimist camp. Mainly from my self-education of our system (the U.S. political/monetary system). But after a decade of being like that I decided it is nothing I can change or do anything about - I'm just another tiny fish in a very large ocean. So I have been cognizant of changing that view, which I felt was poisonous, to something better.  I'm not all the way there, and I probably will never be, because of my experiences, but I'm much, much better  :D .

I am an optimist for the sake of lifting my own spirits and of those around me. I try to find opportunities rather than fault. 

There is nothing that will bring me down more than having a friend who is like Winnie the Pooh's Eeyor; and few people are as annoying as the overly positive Tigger. 

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 3

I am an optimist for the sake of lifting my own spirits and of those around me. I try to find opportunities rather than fault. 

Yes!  I started doing that, too, and it has become a habit and a new outlook.  This point of view is connected to "Yes, I can!"  I'd much rather firmly believe "Yes, I can!" as opposed to "No, I can't."  And the fact is.... "Yes, I can!"   ;)

• Like 1

I am a realist, though most optimists would consider me to be a pessimist.

To which I retort, the man wandering through the desert dying of thirst cares not that the glass of water is half full, or half empty, but only that there is water to be had.

Do you consider yourself to be in the Pessimist, Realist, or Optimist camp?

Yesterday, during a lively discussion between the Glass Half Fulls and the Glass Half Emptys, many Optimists declared that Realists and Pessimists were the same. Several Pessimists insisted that Optimists were delusional, while a few Realists used a different analogy.

I use to be an Optimists, and once even believed in Hope, Change and "Yes You Can"....... but we all know how that went, and now I'm back to being an engineer again,....

I'll side with GotHover.

Edited by Gilbert

I think the engineers' answer could be flawed in some cases.

For whom or what is the glass intended?  Lots of possibilities... 

If it is a drink for a young kid it better not be anywhere near full or maybe even have a sippy cup lid on top 'cause there's gonna be a mess!  In that case, half full or empty is  "just right".