Question: I've Got A Mosquito Problem

Gilbert

With all the recent rain activity, the mosquitos are out in full force.

Our problem is that our back porch has recessed inset corner, that offers a cool shady spot where they love to hang out, and I'd like to put something there or hang something there that will either kill them or repel them.

I don't want to buy an electronic bug zapper with a light that will attract them. The wife won't let me or the kids use this door because there's always a few mosquitos that sneak in every time its used.

I'm hoping that some of you who live in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida areas will know or have heard of something that will work for us.

Let me know, I'm tired of the little bastards and want to use my door. Below is a photo of the area. The dark stains are from some concoction my wife mixed up, but didn't work; all it did was stain the stucco, which I'm going to power wash away after I send this.

Note the external speaker (which doubles as a nesting spot for a little busy body wren), I wouldn't mind hanging something down from the speaker support, been thinking of using those wrist bands that are suppose to work.... but would prefer something that's a bit more INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH.

post-10277-0-24140000-1433347374_thumb.j

Edited by Gilbert

Thanks JB, and there no standing water near that area of the house.... however, about 90 or 100 yrds. back into the yard, we set-up a horse trough that doubles as a canine swimming pool / water source. I stocked the trough with perch and pop-belly minnows, and they do a good job at eating the mosquito larva.

I'm curious to know about those biscuit things though. Never heard of them.

• Like 1

Get a high powered fan and point it in that area where they cant fly or hover there.  Nothing works without spending a good bit of money.  We have some "nicer" homes around here that have nozzles plumbed in the eves of homes about every 10 feet that spray a mist every so often. The propane powered units work decent as long as there is a sticky surface to catch everything. Mosquito Joe fogging service works ok for about 2-3 weeks or so. Put up a few Martin boxes, they eat Mosquitos.      I would try the fan first

I have a fish pond, and I see  mosquitos larva but not many mosquitos, we usually have 3-5 green frogs working the joint and the goldfish and Koi do there thing. The water moving, but still I think its a net zero for mosquitos, as they are tough.  Standing water by the woodpile will really hurt, but local bats also are very nice, but as we all know, the spring and all fall are all about natural balance transitions and when the temp of summer hits, usually things fall in line.  Cheers. 

Get a high powered fan and point it in that area where they cant fly or hover there.
So, the ceiling fan won't move enough air if it's blowing up against the ceiling? The air should move out and hit the corner and move down..

Bruce

The "biscuits" are BT (bacillus thuringiensis) which will kill larvae in the water and any insect it touches.  It is a natural bacteria and you can get them in plant nurseries and hardware stores.  It is completely bird and mammal safe. 

My dad recommends and sent me one of these:  http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent

A good breeze works also.

In Panama, when they built the Canal, they sprayed petroleum (oil) all over the standing water... it prevents the spawning of the species.

Malaria, that was killing many workers, dropped to near zero after adopting such methods.

Edited by Schu

In Panama, when they built the Canal, they sprayed petroleum (oil) all over the standing water... it prevents the spawning of the species.

Malaria, that was killing many workers, dropped to near zero after adopting such methods.

Yeah that works if you want an oil fouled pond or tank.  BT accomplishes the same thing.  I still wouldn't use a lot of BT in a natural setting because of the collateral damage to beneficial insects.

Yeah that works if you want an oil fouled pond or tank.  BT accomplishes the same thing.  I still wouldn't use a lot of BT in a natural setting because of the collateral damage to beneficial insects.

So-Youre-Telling-Me-Theres-A-Chance-Dumb

• Moderators

We have never used BT, but I do know it can negatively impact beneficial insects.   I think BT can be purchased at most feed and seed stores.  

I would consider spraying the area with Listerine as suggested above.  Maybe keep a pump up spray bottle handy and spray the area regularly.  We have never used this method either.  Combine this with forcing air into the where the mosquitoes tend to gather.

We use tiki torches and citronella candles in and around the perimeter of  our tiki bar. At night we usually just light one or two candles in the area we are sitting.  Other than right at sundown we are never bothered with mosquitoes out there.  

All of these are rather inexpensive methods.  I would think by combining these suggestions you could effectively control the mosquito population in that area.